LG BH08, GGW-H20L, GGC-H20L read speed patched

Hello!

In case you haven’t notice, ala42 has released new MCSE V1.2.0.0 that will speed up LG BH08LS20, BH08NS20, GGW-H20L and GGC-H20L read speed and removed DVD/BD riplock.

Here is the changelog, taken from this post:

Changelog
1.2.0.0  7 Jun 2009
        Higher read speeds for LG BD drives
        - added LG BH08LS20/BH08NS20 support for DVD riplock, BD riplock
          and read speed patch, RPC2 patches.
          Media list is currently not available.
        - added BD DL read speed patch for LG GGW-H20x/GGC-H20x drives
          BD-R DL and BD-ROM DL read speed is increased from 5x to 6x,
          saving ~12 minutes for a full rip. No BD-RE patch yet.
        - added BD-RE read speed patch for BH08 drives
          BD-RE SL and BD-RE DL read speed is increased from 4.8x to 8x,
          6x read speed is also available
        - added BD riplock patch for LG GGW-H20x/GGC-H20x/BH08xS20
          BD video disks are locked at 4.8x with the original firmware.
          Together with the other patches you get 6x read speed on the
          GGW-H20x/GGC-H20x and 8x read speed on the BH08.  

How to flash your LG BD drives:

• Download and run MCSE
  • Load the latest firmware (YL05 for GGW-H20L and EL02-05 for BH08)
  • In MCSE > Drive Setting > Read Speed, tick “increase”.
  • Click the Save button and save the firmware
  • Flash your GGW-H20L or BH08 using the new saved firmware.

Results for LG GGW-H20L

BD-ROM Single Layer

According to specs, LG GGW-H20L reads BD-ROM SL and DL at max 4.8x.

Using official firmware YL05: reads BD-ROM SL at 4.8x in 26.39 mins

PATCHED firmware YL05: reads BD-ROM SL at 6x in 21.33 mins (saves 5 mins)

BD-ROM Dual Layer 50GB

According to specs, LG GGW-H20L reads BD-ROM SL and DL at max 4.8x.

Using official firmware YL05: reads BD-ROM DL at 4.8x in 47.31 mins

PATCHED firmware YL05: reads BD-ROM DL at 6x in 38.13 mins (saves 9 mins)

Similarly, it will also save time for BD-R SL and DL. Thanks ala42. :clap:

Please post your other findings, comments or suggestions here.

[B][U]LG BH08LS20[/U][/B]

[B][U]Using official firmware 1.00[/U][/B]: reads BD-ROM SL at 4.83x in 26.06 mins

[B][U]PATCHED firmware EL02-05[/U][/B]: reads BD-ROM SL at 8.08x in 15.36 mins (saves 10 mins 30 seconds!)

[B][U]LG BH08LS20[/U][/B]

[B][U]Using official firmware 1.00[/U][/B]: reads BD-ROM DL at 5x in 53.10 mins

[B][U]PATCHED firmware EL02-05[/U][/B]: reads BD-ROM DL at 8x in 31.47 mins (saves 21 mins 23 seconds!)

Thanks ala42!!!

what MegaDETH demostrated above was the BD riplock removal. DATA BDs where not limited before.

DVD Riplock removed from BH08LS20 drives

before, un-modified EL02-05 firmware

After, modified EL02-05 firmware (saved 7 minutes and 28 seconds)

BD-RE read speed improvement

Sorry don’t have before picture, but BD-RE was limited to 4.8x

with modified EL02-05 firmware now 8x

Very good nekrosoft13, nice BD-RE!!

When ripping BD-ROM SL/DL to HDD with AnyDVD HD 6.5.5.x
I have only a readspeed around 7.xx MB/sec.

readspeed didn’t changed after reflashing with YL05_speedpatched (newest MediaCodeEdit)

Is maybe AnyDVD the bottleneck?

[QUOTE=Wishbringer;2291036]When ripping BD-ROM SL/DL to HDD with AnyDVD HD 6.5.5.x

readspeed didn’t changed after reflashing with YL05_speedpatched (newest MediaCodeEdit)

Is maybe AnyDVD the bottleneck?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but probably not. Did you play back the movie via powerdvd before starting the rip? Thanks to Zevi I found out that powerdvd 9 enables riplock in other drives, maybe that is the case here?

Also do you have BD defect managment disabled. It’s enabled by default and slows rip speed.

I don’t use PowerDVD, so it can’t be the reason.

When at home, I will look into settings and disable defect management.

Hm, do you mean ImgBurn settings? Thought defect management is only for writing, not reading.

[QUOTE=Wishbringer;2291036]When ripping BD-ROM SL/DL to HDD with AnyDVD HD 6.5.5.x
[/QUOTE]
While your problem is a bit off topic, check if you use the SPTD driver installed with Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and other software by looking for the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\sptd” registry key in REGEDIT and disable it like described at http://www.duplexsecure.com/faq/.

yes, SPTD is a horrible horrible rootkit, it causes rather huge drive slowdowns.

Can cause bad burns, speed fluctuations in high speed burns, cut burst speed in half, speed slow downs are very noticeable on blu-ray drives, less on dvd drives.

there are same reports on deamon tools, alcohol, duplexsecure and cdfreaks forums, remove it.

When I had GGW-H20L, i cut reading speed to about 3x on bd disc, it also caused few burns to fail.

Thanks, have Daemon-Tools installed.
Will try it when at home.

remember you have to remove SPTD, just uninstalling Daemon Tools might not remove SPTD.

Is maybe AnyDVD the bottleneck?[/QUOTE]

Note this is from a relative newbie: I have a BH08LS20, DVDFabHD, and AnyDVD-HD. I performed the firmware patch to my drive. I’ve used DVDFAb for several years for DVD’s so upgraded it to the Blu-Ray version but later read that ANYDvd-HD was the way to go. I ran a non-scientific test of the two ripping programs. I found my max rate on AnyDVD-HD to be around 14-18MB/s but 30+MB/s with DVDFabHD. I even played with the drive speed settings with AnyDVD and if anything it seems to have slower bit rates with the fast setting. I didn’t watch it the whole time but it seems to increase steadily then hit a max and drop to 3.5MB/s and bounce around a bit. Could this be some sort of speed limit? If yes wouldn’t it affect DVDFab in the same way?

Mike

[QUOTE=ala42;2292816]While your problem is a bit off topic, check if you use the SPTD driver installed with Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and other software by looking for the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\sptd” registry key in REGEDIT and disable it like described at http://www.duplexsecure.com/faq/.[/QUOTE]

I was having the same problem this fix solved it thanks

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2298483]I was having the same problem this fix solved it thanks[/QUOTE]

be careful with sptd enabled software, Daemon Tools, Alcochol 120%, just causes problems.

I’ve got the BH08LS20 and cannot find firmware files online. LG says the drive is too new and that the seemingly broken links on their support site for the drive are for that reason.

Some here say they patched the firmware on this drive…how, if I may ask? Please post a link or instructions if possible.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=HHTX;2409740]I’ve got the BH08LS20 and cannot find firmware files online. LG says the drive is too new and that the seemingly broken links on their support site for the drive are for that reason.

Some here say they patched the firmware on this drive…how, if I may ask? Please post a link or instructions if possible.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

firmware is from buffalo, buffalo sells re-branded LG drive. So far few people did choose to try it, and all had success.

But if you tell LG what you did they will cancel your warranty

I can attest that there have been no negatives whatsoever to crossflashing the drive…oops, other than losing lightscribe support. It does make the drive MUCH faster while reading. I just hope thay nothing bad happens to the drive before LG comes out with a firmware update, so i can get back on an OFFICIAL LG Firmware for warranty reasons.

little disapointed with official LG firmware support.

these EL02 firmware are also made by LG, but so far only Buffalo and IO released them.