LG BE14NU40 or Buffalo BRXL-16U3? (urgent)

vbimport

Hello,

I’ve ordered a new LG BE14NU40 external BR writer but I can cancel my order until next monday. I like LG because I’ve had a BE12LU30 with very good results, but I’ve seen the new Buffalo MediaStation BRXL-16U3 and I’m amazed by this unit can WRITE BD-REs up-to 8x!!, whereas the BE14NU40 only can rewrite BD-REs up to 2x. My main usage is huge data backup, hence my interest in high speeds on BD-REs writes. I already know the BRXL-16U3 can burn BD-Rs up to 16x and the LG “only” up to 14x, but that’s not my main priority.

Is this true? According the BRXL-16U3 specs (see here), it seems this drive can rewrite BD-REs up to 8x. Wow, do 4x BD-RE media even exist?

Any recommendation? Should I cancel my order and order the Buffalo instead?

Please, reply as soon as possible, because my last day, as I’ve said before, is next monday.

Thank you very much in advance,
Chema

[B]HiddenUser[/B], there are NO 8x BD-RE discs exist, as well as 4x. I don’t know what OEM drive is inside of BRXL-16U3 but it can be BDR-209M of BH16NS40…

Thank you for your very fast reply. Then, I don’t understand the Buffalo’s specs. They claim that his rewriter can write BD-RE SL up to 6x and DL up to 8x (see the specs, I’m not lying). Is this a commercial gimmick? This is stated on his website and even in the SPECSHEET!!! So if it’s not a mistake, what speed are they referring about?

Aside from this, which one do you think is better overall? (quality scans, burn reliability, etc.)

Thank you again very much, indeed.

Don’t believe these specs…

That specsheet is quite strange:

BLURAY READ/WRITE SPEEDS
BD-R XL TL 6x/6x
BD-R XL QL 6x/6x
BD-R SL 12x/16x (6x Blu-ray Sony media)
BD-R SL 6x/6x
BD-R DL 12x/8x
BD-R TL 6x/6x
BD-R QL 6x/6x
BD-RE SL 2x/6x
BD-RE DL 6x/8x
BD-ROM SL 12x Read
BD-ROM DL 8x Read

BD-R SL 6x/6x - what does it mean?
BD-RE SL 2x/6x - 2x read 6x write? o_O
BD-RE DL 6x/8x - 6x read 8x write??? O_O

Total nonsence…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2726103]
Total nonsence…[/QUOTE]

Complete nonsence indeed… no drive can burn BD-RE discs higher than 2x. The folks from Buffalo US must have been under the influence of something rather strong when they’ve put that spec sheet together :doh:

These specs are more like it: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/userfiles/file/product-datasheets/130099_BUF_16x_Blu-ray_Drive_EN_02.pdf

or the ones from their Japanese website: http://buffalo.jp/product/removable-drive/bd/external/brxl-16u3/#spec

I have seen several claims on the web that the drive inside the BRXL-16U3 is a BH16NS48…

Thank you all for your replies :slight_smile:

I have thought a different approach, please read carefully the following if you think is more convenient for me:

Aside from backing up huge data from hard disks partitions to BD-REs (as I’ve said in my first post), also I’d like to rip my personal collection of commercial blu-ray movies to external hard disks for my convenience. Well, I’ve read the new LG drives are riplocked and this is not good for ripping, because of the speed limit. So I’ve thought a different approach but I’m not sure if will work.

You already know I need an external writer, but I’ve seen some USB 3.0 to SATA III adapters which can connect an external SATA/ATAPI drive to an USB 3.0 port, reaching the theorical peak of 5Gb/s. My only concern is that my motherboard has no native USB 3.0 ports, so I’m currently using an USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card with the NEC chipset and I don’t know if I will have any issues connecting an INTERNAL blu-ray writer with my expansion card, i.e., not being able to burn BD media up to 14-16x speed.

If you think this is the way to go, would you recommend the Pioneer BDR-209DBK for my needs?

Thank you again for your patience and for considering my urgency.

[QUOTE=cvs;2726131]These specs are more like it: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/userfiles/file/product-datasheets/130099_BUF_16x_Blu-ray_Drive_EN_02.pdf
[/QUOTE]

Seem to be more “real” specs, except they should change the line “Read/Write Max Speeds” to “Write/Read Max Speeds”

About riplock… As far as I know, BH14/16NS40/48 are not riplocked while WH14/16NS40 are riplocked. As for external BE14NU40, there is no information about it yet.

Ok, ok, but do you think the alternative posted before could work? Connecting an internal drive to an external USB 3.0 to SATA III Adapter and this to an USB 3.0 PCI Express expansion card.

To sum up:

I cannot found the S08XLT, that is highly recommended in this forum, it’s out of stock, but I think this drive is one of the best in the market according to MyCE.

Thank you again for your inputs, much appreciated.

[B]HiddenUser[/B], usually “normal” external drive (which is actually internal drive with SATA-USB adapter) works better than internal drive with separately bought SATA-USB adapter.

Well, I already have the BE14NU40. I’m getting rip speeds of Blu-ray commercial (original) movies around 8-9MB/s using the DVDfab software. I think this drive is riplocked, because 2x is about 9M/s. Am I right? :frowning:

Thanks

Forget the posted above, the disc was dirty. I’ve cleaned it and now I’m getting speeds of 18MB/s approx. This is about 4x speed. Is this a normal speed for a protected blu-ray on a NON-riplocked drive??

Thank you again

HiddenUser, no, it’s too slow…

You could try to flash BH14NS40 of BH16NS40 firmware into this drive - it worked with BE06LU10 and BE12LU30, I think this trick should work with BE14NU40, too. Jadburner made a test with reading of commercial BD movie on BH16NS40 and the speed was 10x (or 12x?) CAV.

Edit: could you make Transfer Rate Test with this disc and make a screenshot?

Yes, of course.

I’m afraid that this writer is riplocked.

Here you go:

BR: Apocalypse Now Redux - Disc 1

BR: Skyfall

BR: Generic Data

Note that only the last disc is tested at max speed. It’s not a protected disc, but a generic data disc.

What can I do? I dare not crossflash the drive because it could stay in an unusable state and also because it’s within the warranty period.

Thank you a lot.

Well, I’ve changed my mind and I’m going to send the writer back to the seller. I’m within the evaluation period.

cvs: You have said that the Buffalo MediaStation is a rebadged LG BH16NS48. According to blackened2687, this writer is not riplocked. So I’m sold. Is this a good purchase for my needs?

Thank you again and regards

[QUOTE=HiddenUser;2726429]Well, I’ve changed my mind and I’m going to send the writer back to the seller. I’m within the evaluation period.

cvs: You have said that the Buffalo MediaStation is a rebadged LG BH16NS48. According to blackened2687, this writer is not riplocked. So I’m sold. Is this a good purchase for my needs?

Thank you again and regards[/QUOTE]

Just because the drive inside the enclosure is a BH16NS48, that doesn’t necessarily guarantee 100% that the Buffalo external drive will actually come flashed with a non-riplocked firmware… I’m just speculating here as a note of caution, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the Buffalo firmware could be customised in some ways, and might even be riplocked … hopefully that won’t be the case, but nothing is impossible when it comes to OEM re-branding …

@cvs: Ok, the store has approved the refund and I’ve already ordered the Buffalo.

Since this drive is actually a LG BH16NS48, could I make a crossflash without issues? (aside from the loss of warranty, naturally).

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me. You all are very kind… Great forum :slight_smile:

Read this topic: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-12b1st-rebadged-lg-bh14ns40-version-not-liteon-ihbs112-version-335096/

And make a dump from your drive for the possible case of warranty.

aside from the loss of warranty

You don’t lose warranty, actually. :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve read the whole thread, but it does not make clear if the Buffalo->LG crossflash process is also a “one way street”, as with the ASUS->LG crossflash; if so and I crossflash the drive, I will certainly lose my warranty…

What features are usually put in a custom firmware for a rebadged drive (aside from the riplock, bit-setting, etc.)?

Fingers crossed for the new BRXL-16U3-EU (European version) drive. I will keep you posted with the results :rolleyes:

[B]HiddenUser[/B], if you read that topic carefully, you should see that it’s not a one-way trip. Make the dump with proper command line for DevilClaw’s Flasher and we will make your dump compatible with official LG flasher, like with “ASUS BW-12B1ST a” dump in that topic.

What features are usually put in a custom firmware for a rebadged drive (aside from the riplock, bit-setting, etc.)?

An another drive name :bigsmile:

blackened2687:
Then, if it’s needed a crossflash because of a hypothetic riplock on the new drive, are you going to guide through the process, step by step? Is this process risk-free?

Pardon my insistence, but these external drives cost a lot and I don’t want to end up with a gorgeous but useless piece of plastic.

Thank you for your unvaluable help.