LG BD drive externally

vbimport

Not to hijack this thread, but I don’t want to make a mistake. I’d like to buy a decent bluray burner, perhaps an internal model and find an aftermarket case for it so I can use it with my iMac. A friend of mine has a LG BH10LS30 and he’s very happy with its performance, but he’s using it with a PC internally. I’m not worried about speed as much as compatibility and as always… whether the firmware can be updated when newer versions are released. I can use Firewire 800/400 or USB to connect it, and was hoping I could find a drive enclosure on eBay that would allow me those options. The other option is to buy a BE12LU30 which is already in a case. Can anyone comment on the LG drives and/or the enclosure thoughts? Thanks!

[QUOTE=drgrafix;2577532]Not to hijack this thread, but I don’t want to make a mistake. [/quote]Missed the “new thread” button? :bigsmile:
I fixed that for you.

(…)
Can anyone comment on the LG drives and/or the enclosure thoughts?
LGs can be very picky about the interface it is connected to. For that reason, I’d prefer the external version instead of a DIY solution.

Michael

Thanks… I was piggybacking only because it was a mac issue and I didn’t want to possibly start a redundant thread (external drives compatible with macs running OSX). The external setup is easier but more expensive… but if its less likely to work as a DIY… then no discussion. BB has a decent price on those 12X externals… also wondering if there are other brands that are in the 10X - 12X range that are more suitable to a mac. I don’t want to have to disable my internal DVD drive to make something work. Ideally, it’d be nice if the drive worked well on a PC or a Mac. Maybe that’s asking too much?