LG 8481B Read and Write Speed Problem?

Hi,
I have a LG 8481B (48x48x24), but i´m getting bad reading and writing speeds. Example: I tested 3 CDR brands(32x,40x,48x - Imaging, LG and Maxell) in all of them i get a read speed of 8x-20x and wrinting I take 3 to 5min to finish.
My configuration:
-Windows XP Pro
-Athlon XP 18000
-HD 7200rpm
-Ultra DMA ON
-firmware is 1.10. (already tried 1.02 - no solution)

This is a configuration or a hardware problem ? Anyone have the same problem with this drive ?

Thx
(sorry for my bad english ;))

Have you enabled DMA on all your drives yet?

Yes,
Configuration:
Hard disk 1 - Primary Master - Ultra DMA 4
Hard disk 2 - Primary Slave - Ultra DMA 6

LG 8481 - Secondary Master - Ultra DMA 2
DVD - Secondary Slave - Ultra DMA 2

:confused: why would you put drive with fastest transfer rate to primary slave? your system will be much faster if you have it in master’s position. (no weird thoughts intended)

Originally posted by LoneGunner
Hi,
I have a LG 8481B (48x48x24), but i´m getting bad reading and writing speeds. Example: I tested 3 CDR brands(32x,40x,48x - Imaging, LG and Maxell) in all of them i get a read speed of 8x-20x and wrinting I take 3 to 5min to finish.

I think, like my model (LG 8240B 24X) your model too has the Fail Free technology feature. My burn speed ranges from 8X to 16X for all media that I have tried. No matter what’s the burn limit specified, the max burn speed doesnt go beyond that. I have DMA enabled and have checked everything else. But I have settled for safe but relaible 16X burns

Originally posted by tekwiz99
:confused: why would you put drive with fastest transfer rate to primary slave? your system will be much faster if you have it in master’s position. (no weird thoughts intended)

Because i bought this HD to install games and store backup files (it is 2.5x big as the primary master).
So i left the little one (master) with just the OS and tools.
(OK I could make a partition on the big one, but i dont want to resinstall all my programs too ;))

Originally posted by ExpertTech
[B]

I think, like my model (LG 8240B 24X) your model too has the Fail Free technology feature. My burn speed ranges from 8X to 16X for all media that I have tried. No matter what’s the burn limit specified, the max burn speed doesnt go beyond that. I have DMA enabled and have checked everything else. But I have settled for safe but relaible 16X burns [/B]

Where do you found info about this “Fail Free” ?
I don´t read anything about it in the specs.

Any other ideas people ;)?

Thx

Originally posted by LoneGunner

Where do you found info about this “Fail Free” ?
I don´t read anything about it in the specs.

One link that I found:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=95

Its was mentioned on the cover of my drive I think - cant remember now.

Here’s the summary:

The goal of Fail Free Technology is to record data at the speed that is most reliable for the user’s environment. Essentially, you choose the maximum writing speed and the drive will determine the best writing conditions for you. If it thinks the media can’t handle 24x, it will write at a lower speed. How it determines this I really don’t know. It could be via writing tests, a list of compatible media stored in the firmware or a combination of the two.

I have a similar problem. Certain types of discs, wich other people succesfully burns at 48X, I can only burn at 16X, wich really gives me fits. This kind of discs are detected as having Dye Type 8. When I try to set the speed in NERO, it only gives me 2 options: 12X, and 16X. Now, I have no clue as why is this, and I think there should be some way of deactivating it. Dye Type 5 discs support all speeds, from 4X to 40X.
Can anyone throw a light on this?

You know what, something is wrong here (media?). Even though the disc ‘actually’ burns at a lower speed, you should be able to still see the fastest speed in the selection combo of Nero. This is the speed that ‘you’ have selected, not the actual burn speed.

You can do a simple registry hack to see the ‘actual’ burn speed.

For media than can burn at 24X, it starts at 16X then goes on to 24X after about 25% - which is OK coz 24X speed is only in Z-CLV.

In your case (assuming you have a 48X writer) - you should be able to select the speed as 48X but actual burn speed may be less, depending upon the media used.

That’s the problem, I can ONLY select TWO speeds. No complete list. The writing process cranks up to 16x and stays there drawing a straight line in the graphic (recor test, CD Speed). That means the driver for some reason is limiting itself. It’s not the media because other people burn it at 48x, but in some way it’s the media because I only have that problem with that sort of disc. What I need to understand here is why the driver is limiting itself? I read something about Fail Free in this thread. Could it be that? It’s not mentioned in the product specs.

Originally posted by ExpertTech
you should be able to still see the fastest speed in the selection combo of Nero. This is the speed that ‘you’ have selected, not the actual burn speed.

This is not the case with LG 48x and Feurio.
The program will change the maximum selectable speed according to media: You can’t select 48x or 40x if the drive decides that the media should be written at 32x.
I guess the same happens in Nero.
Every time you insert a CDR, Feurio CD-Writer will show a message explaining that the drive has limited its maximum speed (if that’s the case). So, that’s the only thing you have to do to check if it’s the drive reducing speed or any other thing: run Feurio CD-Writer. It also shows actual burning speed without any hack (just press “More Details” while burning).

PS: You will need the latest driver update to support that LG:
http://www.feurio.com/English/Download/download_driverupdate.shtml

I’ll check that out

I was browsing the Feurio site, and I found something very interesting in the Writer Database, although it was in german :frowning: , and I used babelfish to translate it. It said about a similar model of my writer:

Reference to the writing speed: The Writer is “zone a ZLV Writer”, i.e. the full speed becomes - already admits how of many of CD Rom - not the maximum the medium reaches. The Writer divides media into several zones. Each zone is described with a constant speed (e.g. zone 1: 16x, zone 2: 20x, zone 3: 24x). Therefore results are slower actual writing speed than the indicated speed.

Well, that somehow explains why the driver is limiting itself. Now, I’d like to know WHAT is this limitation for? And if is there any way to override it. This burner is gonna dissapoint me big time if I can’t.

After trying to simulate a record with Feurio, I got this enlightning message:

WARNING: Can’t set recording speed: 40x!

You have selected a recording speed of “40x”.
The writer doesn’t accept this speed and reports “16x” as a recording speed.

Background: Feurio! first sends the desired recording speed (so in this case: 40x) to the recorder. After that Feurio! “asks” the writer, which is the current recording speed - and here the recorder reported: 16x - therefore this message.

Possible causes:

a) Writer doesn’t support this speed:
A CD-writer not always supports all speed “steps”, e.g. an 8x writer needn’t support 6x, 4x, 2x and 1x - many 8x recorder e.g. only support 8x, 4x and 2x. When trying to select another speed, the writer “rounds” the speed value, in this case to 16x.

b) Writer decreases the speed due to the inserted medium:
Some writer also “check” the inserted medium and eventually deacrease the writing speed.

Special remark for writers of the “Philips CDD series” (all writers with identification string “Philips CDD 4xxx” or “IDE CD-RW xxx”, and also some “OEM-models”, like IOMEGA Zip-CD, certain HP-models and so on):
These writers have an internal table with all tested media. Only these blanks will be burned with the maximum speed - all media unknown to the writer will be burned with a lesser speed.

Start recording?
“OK” -> Start the recording with the speed the writer selected (16x)
“Cancel” -> Cancel the recording

Well, that explains a lot of things. It seems that the writer will only burn at maximum speed on tested media only, and since this media is quite new, it isn’t in its database (firmware). So this should get corrected with a firmware update, although non is yet avaliable at the MSI site.

And i have had similiar problems. actually, i cant remember a day when i didnt have problems with a writer. anyhow, i did a firmware upgrade and i immediately got results. i think i upgraded to 1.02 not1.03. it was a windows program anyway, not dos.

BTW, i have had some trouble making audio discs. first attempt and i got a lot of ‘static’ i tried removing my cd-rom that was slaved to the same ribbon and it worked ok. have done much since to find a workaround. have you had any audio recording probs?