LG 8083B dead

Hi,
i’ve just done the most stupid thing: trashed my cd-rw with a wrong flash.
Can i bring it back from the dead? with what tool? what chipset does it has?
Thanks.

Check out this thread: you are not the only one who has ever flashed his drive with the wrong firmware. This i about a Lite-On, so I don’t know if you have to do the same.
Downgrading your firmware again should do the trick :slight_smile:

Thanks,
i’ve seen that post (and i guess i could try it, i don’t think it can get worse than that). but this is my question:
does anyone know (for sure) what chipset this cd-rw has? what tool should i try to flash it, when my bios doesn’t detect it anymore. The original LG tool, can’t do anything if it isn’t detected by the BIOS.

i have the same problem a few days ago, dont worry, you’re drive is not really dead… yet. u can force the flash with the LG’s jr3.exe utility

just use
je3.exe flashfile.hex ide_number /m

ide_number =
1 - Primary Master
2 - Primary Slave
3 - Secondary Master
4 - Secondary Slave

u must indicate the correct ide setting and use the “/m” switch to force the flashing if the cdrw is not detected

i dont know if the 8083b use the same flashing utility (mine was 8320… now is 8400 :bigsmile: ), but the help is included in the utility, just run it without any parameters…

– je3.exe included help –
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B F/W Download Program Ver 1.001

usage 1 : JE3 [FILE_NAME.HEX]
usage 2 : JE3 [FILE_NAME.HEX] [PORT_NUMBER] /m
[FILE_NAME.HEX] : ***.HEX
[PORT_NUMBER] :
1 - Primary Master
2 - Primary Slave
3 - Secondary Master
4 - Secondary Slave
/m is Boot mode Option

i just dl the bios for the 8083… sorry, but the utility is not the same and it only work with automatic detection of the drive, u cant force the flashing with this.

try the mtkflash (i have no idea iif this could work)

mtkflash 3 w /b E5LGEBDF.LGE

(the number are the same as the post above)

ps: sorry for my bad english

mtkflash wont work on this drive… i did the same some month ago… i dont think that its possible to get it back working… i failed too.

mtkflash 3 w /b E5LGEBDF.LGE

can i use lge file???

you said:
u must indicate the correct ide setting and use the “/m” switch to force the flashing if the cdrw is not detected

is it working?? because my cdrw is not deceted !!!

anyone can send me je3.exe ? plx

livisp3@tiscali.it