LG 4801 DVD-RW freezes with blank dvds

vbimport

I bought an LG 4801 dvd writer about a month ago, and up until now it has been fine, I’ve recorded several dvds perfectly with no trouble.
However, this week it has just stopped working.
The drive setup on my pc is as follows:

IDE1
MASTER : WD 80gb HD
SLAVE : LG 32X CDRW

IDE2
MASTER : LG DVDRAM 4801
SLAVE : PIONEER DVD-ROM

I also have an IBM 40gb hard disk running off a PCI IDE controller

System specs:
AthlonXP 2200
768 ddr ram
WinXP SP1

Firstly at the start of this week i tried to burn a dvd and it rejected the disc saying it was not writable and spat it out.

Now when i enter a disk at any time it tries to read it and seizes up when any program tries to access it. Including when i boot the pc up and it tries to boot from the cd.

The dvds im using are DataWrite Red 4x. I don’t think it is the discs as I have burned almost ten from the same stack without any problems.

I tried to burn a cd-r with the drive and it works perfectly. It also reads and plays dvds and cds fine.

I’ve updated the firmware to version 101 but it makes no difference. I’ve also uninstalled every dvd related program and re-installed nero, killed and restored the ASPI layer using some removal tool and set the drive on its own IDE channel as a secondary master, but no luck yet.

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this, or any idea what to try next they would be greatly appreciated. thanks.