LG 4167B and DVD brands

hey all,

i just got this DVD writer for my bday two days ago, and i can say im not having fun with it at all, ive thrown 3 different DVD brands at it (including one $10 dual layer TDK dvd… ;_:wink: and none have worked… yet it has no problems with TEAC 80 min cds

i have the DL11 firmware installed and checking the info on the DVDs that are burnt they seem to be fine… the track size is basically same size as the image size… the DVDs are “closed” and there were never errors in Alcohol 120 yet neither windows nor my xbox recognize the image

i have attached a txt file with info of the dvds (from nero CD-DVD speed) of two of the brands of DVDs (the third of the brands is now snapped in half due to frustration) one is the dual layer (after the burn) and the other is DVDs that i have no clue what brand they are (the front of the DVDs are white, perfect for writing on and i threw out the papers in the spindle -_-) trying to run the Benchmark gives me a error message “LOGICAL BLOCK ADDRESS OUT OF RANGE (052100)”

it can read DVDs fine… so i guess it almost works… is the DVD burning part of it stuffed or am i unlucky with the disc types? (ive never had a problem with any disc type on my 2 previous burners) the 4 gig DVDs burnt fine on my older (GSA 4040A) DVD burner

phew… i think i included enough info (i also sent LG a email about this all, but that will probably take weeks to get a response -_-)

any help would be appreciated

Find out the MID (mediacode) of the discs and search for results on videohelp.com/DVDmedia/
10 buck TDK DL? And was this a RITEK D01 clone media? Then it was really damn expensive!!!

well both DVDs seemed to have pretty mixed results when i look at everyone else’s comments (of different brands that is… i couldnt find the specific one of either of the two)

dunno if its a clone (dont exactly know much about different types, i just buy and burn ;p)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RICOHJPN-D00-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [D00]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

** INFO : Data Below Is Formatted For www.VideoHelp.com/DVDmedia
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Present
** WARNING : Format 11h Is Recommended ADIP Retrieval Method
** WARNING : Format 00h Data Might Contain Drive Modified Values
** INFO : Format 00h - Physical Information (Copy Of ADIP)

Complete DVD Media Code =
00 00 00 00 e1 0f 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 fc ff df …2…
00 1c ae 2f 00 00 00 52 49 43 4f 48 4a 50 4e 44 …/…RICOHJPND
30 30 01 40 25 25 37 11 00 34 64 00 34 64 20 21 00.@%%7…4d.4d !
0c 0d 12 12 02 01 01 10 00 20 21 0c 0d 12 12 02 … !..

DVD Media Type=DVD+R-DL
DVD Media Code=RICOHJPND00

so i guess my drive isnt faulty, i just need some lucky with different brands?

(edit: as for expensive… well every single dual layer blank DVD in town is $10 aussie dollars or over… so i just picked the fanciest looking one :P)

The Ricoh ones are a bit better than the RITEK ones, but most of all drives only can achieve good results using the DLs from VERBATIM.

cheers for the tips, i updated to the 12 firmware and still dosnt do the 4 gig DVDs -_- ill try buy some different brand DVDs tommorow… in the meantime i have my old burner plopped in underneath my new one

i take it theres no way of really finding out what brand names DVD burners can do? i noticed on the post for the new firmware http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151928 on the sixth post (by karangguni) that he lists changed media codes, yet i dont see a list of media codes on the LG site? would he have used some utility to find that out or is it listed somewhere?

That SKC media you used is fairly rare. I’d guess that the your 4163B doesn’t like it. Seriously, try some other brands.

The problem is that some “brand name” DVD discs actually have their discs made by different manufacturers for different batches and different types of discs. So, for these “brand names” it is impossible to say if it will work with any drive because nobody knows what discs they will actually be getting at any one time. Imation and Memorex are two “brands” that are like that. So sometimes listing a certain brand as working with a certain burner is meaningless.

LG’s website never lists the media codes it supports. I used ala’s Media Code Speed Edit to load up DL12 and DL11 firmware. It lists the media codes supported by each version of firmware. By comparing the list of media codes supported by the two versions, I was able to figure out which media codes changed.

cheers for the help guys, i came across a VERBATIM dual layer blank DVD and it worked perfectly (aside from alcohol freezing when it finished, it didnt pop up with the burn has finished message… and couldnt close but it appears to be fine)