LG 4167 is ripping insanely slow

Hello for some reason my LG is ripping so slow, now I went updated the firmware from the offical site. DMA is enabled.

One movie I tried to rip with nn transcoding said it would take 50 minutes!

Before it would take about 12-15min. What happened?

Re-check the DMA status of all your drives (look at the link in my signature) - the important bit is the “Current Transfer Mode”.

My LG used to rip a DVD w/o transcoding in 15 minutes. Now it does it in 70-80 minutes! And on top of that, it really slows down my computer to the point I have to eject the disc just to surf the net.

So far I reinstalled the firmware

I have removed the secondary IDE device from device manager and reinstalled it, but still it sips very slowly.

Ultra DMA options is enabled

What am I doing wrong?

This still sounds like a DMA issue. The important part about the DMA settings is what is called Current Transfer Mode. It should be Ultra DMA Mode 4 or Ultra DMA Mode 2 for your dvd drive.

Current transfer mode says “Not Applicable”?

Are you sure you are on the right controller in device manager? Not applicable would normally mean no drive installed. Fyi, I couldn’t tell you why, but in my device manager, I have primary ide channel and secondary ide channel both listed twice (not sure if thats normal), but one says not applicable, the other lists the current speeds.

[B]@peggypwr1:[/B] I merged your two threads, so can we keep it all under the same roof please… :wink:

The 4167B should be Ultra DMA Mode 2.

And again, as you’ve been advised twice, the important part is the “Current Transfer Mode”.

Ok evice 1 0 is Ultra DMA 5 ( My HDD assumsing)

and Device 1 is Ultra DMA mode 2

Well, that all checks out.

Is the disc you’re ripping in pristine condition?

The 4167B with stock firmware is a reasonably slow ripper anyway (there is a firmware from The Dangerous Brothers that will increase ripping speed, I use it on my own 4167B).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2127841]Well, that all checks out.

Is the disc you’re ripping in pristine condition?

The 4167B with stock firmware is a reasonably slow ripper anyway (there is a firmware from The Dangerous Brothers that will increase ripping speed, I use it on my own 4167B).[/QUOTE]

Yes, the discs are new. I have also used the dangerous bros firmware, but it made no difference so I went back to the orginal firmware.

This is so weird, it should not take this long.

Ill try changing IDE cable or something.

If it is an nforce chipset then it can falsely report dma in windows when it is really running pio. check what it is set to in your bios.

I went in to my bios, and could not find anything about my PIO or DMA. All my drives are on auto detect.