LG 4164 Inside Dell

Hi Guys,

Just recently purchased a Dell 9100 + 2405fpw.

The 9100 had a weird dvd±rw drive. It read HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B. After searching the forums here the only thing I can come up with is this drive is an LG drive. But there are no support/guides/drivers for this drive.

So I gave up and went to the Dell forum. Here is my thread: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=109223

Basically they said this drive is a hybrid between an LG and Hitachi and that there are no guides or support for this drive. What a bunch of crock.

I wanted to get the booktype changed to dvd-rom and none of the utilities from this site worked.

So I burned my first +R media and I couldn’t believe my eyes. The booktype was automatically set to DVD-ROM. Awesome! I was relieved. I had a bunch of +R medias and I wanted to burn them all as ROM.

Hopefully this will help anyone trying to research on this hybrid drive from dell.

Thanks,
Marvin
NJ

It’s been mentioned here many times : GWA drives are OEM LG drives. LG’s policy with these drives appears to be that it makes the drive for whatever OEM company and then gets that company has to provide support for the drives itself. LG doesn’t provide support the drive directly. As such, you will not be able to find firmware updates on LG’s website for these drives. You need to go back to Dell for firmware updates and support, which you correctly did.

You do realise that ALL current LG drives are hybrids between LG and Hitachi, don’t you? Both companies teamed up to make drives, similar to what Toshiba and Samsung are doing. If you check the model number for any current LG drive, it will start with HL-DT-ST. That stands for Hitachi LG Data Storage.

So yes, that argument they gave you is total and complete crap.

So I burned my first +R media and I couldn’t believe my eyes. The booktype was automatically set to DVD-ROM. Awesome! I was relieved. I had a bunch of +R medias and I wanted to burn them all as ROM.

Did you burn using Nero? Because Nero automatically booktypes to ROM when it burns.

Does Predator represent Dell? User guide unavailable?!?

RICOHJPNR00, RICOHJPNR01, RICOHJPNR02, and RICOHJPNR03 should be alright. They are 2.4x, 4x, 8x, and 16x, respectively.

The GWA-4164B is used in several OEM systems from HP/Compaq/eMachines/Gateway, the chances of a firmware appearing at some time are pretty good.

People need to realise that DELL (and other system builders) are in the business of building systems as cheaply as possible, they are in a commodity business. They are not interested in firmware or DVD burners, perhaps only as much as they can say the system has a “DVD Burner”. To them, you and your requests, are just time wasting noise that eats into the bottom line. Once you understand this you can change your purchasing decisions accordingly, or at least alter your expectations.

If you want to have a DVD Burner that meets your specification, rather than DELL’s, we’d suggest you go to a company that sells retail box product.

Brother Vlad

Karangguni,

I didn’t know that LG and Hitachi are working together on dvd drives. I’m knew to the LG drives. Always used either LiteOn or BenQ. This LG drive was basically put on my lap by Dell.

I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to backup and burn my movies. I’m not sure if CloneDVD has something to do with automatically setting the booktype to ROM. That would be news to me since I’ve been using CloneDVD for about a year now and that was never a feature of CloneDVD.

Kenshin,

From what I see in the Dell Forums Predator seems to be the one helping people. I’m not certain if he is indeed part of dell support, but he sure do look like one.

The design part is mostly done by Hitachi. LG does most of the marketing and distribution. The outside has LG name but many of the key components inside have Hitachi name. Production is mostly done by LG. Predator on Dell does not look official or professional to me.

I have been having a lot of problems with my drive, eg: DL disks working on computer but not on standalone players, incorrect writing speeds because of incompatability issues with burning software.

Hewlett Packard have issued a “recommended” firmware update for this drive,(link below), but it has a slightly different name “HLDS GWA-4164B 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW +DL Drive” as opposed to Dell’s “HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B”, which makes it unusable for DELL users as the update does not recognise the DELL drive, It is interesting to see what issues the update corrects :

1… Improves compatibility with Nero, Roxio, and Sonic CD/DVD recording
software.

2… Resolves VCD and DVD playback issues.

3… Resolves System Recovery CD/DVD issues with Imation(FujiFilm) 8X DVD-R
and DVD+R DL media.

4… Resolves exact copy issues with DVD-R DL and DVD-RW media.

5… Resolves writing issues with DVD+R and DVD+R DL media.

6… Adds support for additional DVD-R and DVD+RW media.

7… Improves compatibility with other optical disk drives.

8… Improves disc writing strategies.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-36697-1&dlc=en&lang=en

I don’t know if anyone would be able to “adapt” the HP firmware update to work on a DELL drive, If they could it would be a GREAT help !!

Cheers,

Glyn

I can’t help you with adapting HP’s firmware but I might be able to help you with the DL problem you are facing.

A few hints about getting DL discs to play on stand alone players :

1. Verbatim DL discs have the best compatibility burning with writers and playing back with stand alone players. Stick to those.

2. Only use DVD+DL discs. Many players cannot handle DVD-DL discs at all because it is too new a standard.

3. Make sure you book type the discs to DVD-ROM when burning. This is very important. I am not sure if the 4164 lets you do book typing. One of the LG GWA models has a problem with book typing but I can’t remember which one.

4. Burn using DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn but NOT Nero. Nero 6 apparently screws up the layer break between the two layers, with the usual result that the first layer will play fine, but playback will screw up when the player tries to switch to the second layer. Nero 7 is supposed to fix this but it is bloated and still has some bugs that need ironing out. DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn are about the best you can get for this purpose for free.

Cheers Karangguni, I’ll try with DVD Decryptor

Hey Guys…I purchased a new DELL E510 PC, It has DVD±RW drive in it…
Same brand as the one mentioned by OP…HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B.
It was burning at 15-16X when I removed the system out of box. I reinstalled the OS. Now when I burn movies it is burning at 1.5X max. I am using Vermatim DVD+R 16X media. The movie that was supposed to take 6 mins is taking 45 mins now. Are there any drivers or anything that I need to check/update…I tried burning with DVD decryptor and nero 6.6. Both same results…

Please help…

Hi, I´m from Germany and I have recently bought also Dell 9150. The quality of the Drive itself is not bad, but so far as I know jet, it Dell stores informations about what you do with your burner… You reboot your PC- press F12 and you search out of Menu: Diagnostics . Then you can choose, which device you want to have tested. You might wish to test your CD/DVD Rom hybrid drive ( I hev exactly tthe same) and youre asked to insert a disc. I did so and just inserted a real legal and not anyway copied DVD. But the system recognizes it- so each DVD as "possible use of incorrect media2 and blocks some functions then. There are of course built into the windows software some functions, as that you can hear your legal DVDs with AC3 Dolby Digital and so on as it is " unlicensed use" . However, I thought that is a good Media Device, to get sound and video performance such as later by a beamer or Audigy 4 Sound Blaster ( makes perfect sound you can hear on mp3 everything again, what you thought its cut out but Sound Blaster X-Fi is even better ) So far you have at least to buy Power DVD 6 prof ( not the normal one) or Power Cinema 4.0, that enables you to get the SPDIF Dolby Digital either by an external Deocoder or by the internal one. I have at the moment problems that that DVD device doesnt burn double layewrs anymore. But- run that diagnostics ( reboot- F12) just with any data DVD- such as Dell Win XP, that might restore the original driver.

And what DL media have you tried with?
If it’s not Verbatim DL media, then I wouldn’t be really surprised that it won’t work.

So is there still no firmware update for this burner?

There is at least RPC-1, made by the firmware wizards TDB! :bow:
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GWA4164B

For those with Dell a new F/W update for this drive has been posted by Dell. It is listed a version E113, the previous version I had was D108. The drive is now identified as HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW on the Dell site. Still identified as HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GWA4164B under Device Manager. The link to the Dell download is;

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R130051&SystemID=XPS_PNT_P4_DXG&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10373&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&libid=32&fileid=173334

The only issue that this corrects according to Dell is; “This firmware resolves a boot issue with the HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW Drive and Dell Resource CD.” I applied it anyway and have had not problems so far. If this is really the only thing it corrects I don’t really know if it is worth applying.

BTW have had no problems with Verbatim DVD+R DL disks. This drive seems to set all DVD+R (single or DL) to DVD-ROM type.

regards

Hey all. New to this forum. :slight_smile:

I also just got a Dell PC with this drive in it. I need to try some of the drivers linked here.

But … Anyone know if it solves the problem of only being able to choose “max” speed for CD burning? In the past, I’ve always burned at 1/4 max speed to guarentee readibility. The software I have (Roxio Sonic RecordNow or something) says it puts in that drop down whatever the drive tells it that it can do. ??

[quote=“Kevin Brown”]
Hey all. New to this forum. :slight_smile:

Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum.

I also just got a Dell PC with this drive in it. I need to try some of the drivers linked here.

That is correct. Nero shows whatever the drive tells it it supports for write speeds. If you are wondering if there is a way to make the drive burn CDs slower using hacked firmware, the answer is no.

No the E113 firmware update doesn’t resolve the issue of burning at maximum speed. I’ve heard someone ran a dvd movie in windows media player and then the drive was okay. I personally haven’t tried it yet as I am trying to work out the bugs on my own system. Only on reboot did the drive malfunction again until a dvd was played on media player.

Hope this doesnt sound like a daft question but as a novice I need some help and advice. I have a Dell with this dvd writer and want to write to a dvd rom. I have lifted this quote from the first post in this thread.

[I]I wanted to get the booktype changed to dvd-rom and none of the utilities from this site worked.

So I burned my first +R media and I couldn’t believe my eyes. The booktype was automatically set to DVD-ROM. Awesome! I was relieved. I had a bunch of +R medias and I wanted to burn them all as ROM.[/I]

Does this mean I can write to dvd rom?And could someone explain what the expression booktype means. Thanks

Pressed DVD-ROM discs are not writable, period.

The book type is an indicator on the disc about how the DVD reader should treat it. Marking a disc as DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL, etc. might allow a drive to read the disc when it otherwise does not understand what recordable media is.

TKM