LG 4163B DL burn failure!

vbimport

Hi all,

Before I report on my problem let me say that I bought this OEM 4163B a week ago to replace an LG 4X GSA 4040B that worked great, at 4x, especially on many batches of 4x Ritek G04. I then bought a couple of spindles of G05 (8x) that would only burn at 2.x. After updating to the latest firmware I still only got 2.x I decided to upgrade to this fabulously reviewed 4163B

Right off the bat all my G05 burns were at 8x and no errors. So far so good.

Today I bought a RIDATA DVD+R DL disc for $10.00 (Canadian) to try and back up a favorite film that I own, from a decrypted copy, a method I have previously used without incident.

My attempt failed! :Z
Attached is what Norton 6.6.0.5 said.

This is what DVD Info pro said about the partially writen disc:

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK D01
Media Product Revision Number 01h
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name MY_DISC
Application id
Implementation id Spruce Technologies
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/25/2004 19:20:50
Format Capacity 1.33GB(1.43GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD+R DL
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector A9E9Fh
Layer 0 end sector 20376Fh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 08 02 00 00 01 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 CD 2F BF …2…/.
00000010 00 20 37 6F 00 00 00 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 44 . 7o…RITEK…D
00000020 30 31 01 40 25 25 37 00 00 28 64 00 28 64 19 1B 01.@%%7…(d.(d…
00000030 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 …

Don’t use Ritek DL. Use Mitsubishi or Ricoh DL instead.

Thanks Kenshin,
Do you have a reason for saying that about Ritek?

Their single layer G04 were perfect and their G05 seeem to burn fine at 8X.
Do you think it’s a firmware issue?

The only other DL discs I can get my hands on here in Canada are Verbatim branded in single jewel case and they are 1/3 more expensive ($14.00). I am very reluctant to order online since I don’t want to buy many before I can trust a brand or ‘make’ and buying 1 online is crazy since the shipping charge will double the already high price…and you still take a chance it won’t work.

Do you know who makes the Verbatim discs?

Damn me…I’m always jumping in early.
My older 4040B burned it’s share of coasters too until firmware/software updates overcame that and I learned which makes to avoid.
Back then I was only loosing $2.50 Canadian a disc so experimenting was still acceptable.

SF

Verbatim DL = Mitsubishi. They’re really the only reliable DL discs out there (and unfortunately the most expensive).

Try not to do on the fly next time. Very impt.

update to 6.6.0.6 or downgrade to older version of NERO. pity to have wasted a DL disc :frowning:

drpino:
What is wrong with Nero 6.6.0.5 ???

Sen:
At 2.5x, why should “on the fly” be a problem?
I can write 8x single layer -on the fly- all day without a problem.

NOTE:
It would be really apreciated if people bother to comment that they elaborate on what they say just a bit.
Thanks anyways…
:slight_smile:

I also wanted to say not to use on the fly to DVD+R DL disks. The main reason for me to say so would be because the media are so expensive. On the fly burning is always more risky than first caching the files onto the HDD drives. It saves some time but you can save just as much time by burning at 4x instead of 2.4x to a DVD+R DL disk. You can do that by using Mitsubishi-made DVD+R DL media. Either distributed under Mitsubishi or Verbatim brand name. Verbatim is just a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical. Mitsubishi Chemical Media actually develops and designs Mitsubishi optical media which in turn is just part of MC which is MK in Japanese (Kagaku = Chemistry.)

Mitsubishi DVD+R DL media are the best, capable of burning even at 5x and 6x even though they are rated at 2.4x only. LG GSA-4163B can burn them safely either at 2.4x or 4x. If it were me, I’d just burn them at 4x, regardless of firmware. 14 Canadian Dollars sounds a bit expensive to me but it’s clearly far better choice than 10 Canadian Dollars for Ritek RITEKD01 2.4x DVD+R DL media. Read some reviews for results with RITEKD01 DL media. There has been NO good result. Pay US$1 for the Ritek 2.4x DVD+R DL media but not more.

2.4x DVD+R DL burning is different from 2.4x DVD+R SL burning. The disks are physically differently designed and differently manufactured. They also need to be differently burned. The structure is two layer instead of one layer. All drive and media manufacturers are yet too new to actual mass-use of DVD+R DL. I don’t see many people who burn DVD+R DL disks using the On-The-Fly method.

Keep in mind there were DVD-RAM and DVD+RW before the introduction of DVD-R and DVD+R, respectively. A lot of people used DVD+RW media before actually write-once burn their home-made DVD video to DVD+R disks. After the chapters are completed to their satifaction, they finally burn the contents to write-once DVD+R media. They did so because of the high cost of DVD+R media which was just about the cost of DVD+R DL media now. There is no equivalent of DVD+RW single-layer for Double Layer. But HDDs are by now very cheap, far faster than DVD+RW as well.

Kenshin,
Thank you very much for your time giving me detailed information!
:slight_smile:

First I should say that the backup I was burning was a DVD Decrypter image on my hard disk, mounted on a virtual drive with Virtual Daemon. What this means is that Nero was reading from a fast 160 gig/ 8mb buffer Western Digital hard drive. The speed that Nero can get the information from that image is infinitly faster than 2.5 dvd speed. That is why I always burn On The Fly…and don’t have problems.

Doesn’t turning off On The Fly just do the same thing…back up the data to a drive cache, which is then just read back to the burner (at the same speed as my image)?

I know that burning a DL disc is different from single layer but the ‘caching’ or reading from the hard disc image should be the same function. No?

My failure in my write came early on in the attempt, not at say, the layer change. So the fact of it being a DL disc shouldn’t be the problem. It’s more likely a quality issue.

I also did some research on the Ritek D01 DL discs… I found this:
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Reviews+index-req-showcontent-id-111.phtml

He also reviewed some Verbatim DL here:
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Reviews+index-req-showcontent-id-122.phtml

Unfortunately he doesn’t own an LG 4163B !
His results with the Ritek D01 doesn’t appear as good as with the Verbatim but he did get good burns with the Ritek with one exception.

That is why I gave in and bought the $10.00 Ritek. I thoght I had a fair chance.

I never found ‘bad reviews’ of the Ritek D01.

Read the test results with RITEKD01 posted on this forum.

RITEKD01 burns OK in LG DVD DL writers. That does not mean it’s OK in quality. If anything, it’s the worst DL media on the market. What I really mean is RITEKD01 is worth 1/3 of MKM001. That’s why I said US$1.

If you are burning from an ISO image stored in an HDD drive, that’s not exactly an “On-the-fly” burn. On-the-fly usually means copying from a CD/DVD source to a CD/DVD destination without using HDD. Since you used a virtual CD/DVD drive, the burning application thinks it’s an on-the-fly recording.

It’s still true DL media are more difficult to produce and to burn than SL media. Manufacturers have problems. Even Mitsubishi has not been able to improve the yield rate to match that of single layer DVD recordable media which continues to be the main reason for high price. For Ritek, it would mean low quality and poor consistency.

I have burned 3 disks, 2 from Traxdata(One for Halo2 for my XBOX) and 1 from Ridata.
Both at 2.4x ewith no problems at all. All are working fine.
And I have nero express!

@Scottie Ferguson: i dunno, but some people have expressed issues with it. plus, Nero updated to 6.6.0.6 VERY shortly after 6.6.0.5 was released so SOMETHING was wrong.

i’m sorry for not having elaborated more on my suggestion, but much of the suggestions people post here is information readily available and many of us don’t like having to say the same things OVER and OVER again.

CDFreaks has just posted Lite-On SOHW-1653S review. Included is RITEKD01 2.4x result as well. Quite poor.

I found one 1653 here for 69 Euros with Full Nero 6.
I was tempted.

Full retail instead of OEM? Retail version probably worth about US$5.

Wait for at least SOHW-1673S though I’m not sure whether it’ll have imporved burns at 16x.

5$!!!Are you sure?
I just thought of that because I don’t have Nero 6 but only Express that
came with my 4163B.And to upgrade Nero 6 I would need 40 Euros.So for 30
more I’ll have a new drive.That was the thought!

I think so, but that’s probably only when you buy at least 1K copies. :slight_smile:

Some US retailers seemed to sell retail Nero versions for about that price.

The truth is that I have found before some years a retail copy of Nero 5, for 10 Euros.

Not to impune your knowledge Kenhsin, But I’ve never seen RETAIL Nero 6xxx at anything even close to $5.00US besides WAREZ and bootlegs. My experience is like sverkalo’s. The v6.x.x.x Ultra Edition ‘RETAIL’ is like $80.00 US. OEM Nero 6.x.x.x is like $10.00 Canadian and likely Nero lite.

Well I’m glad to see the Lite-On have trouble with the RitekD01…if only to confirm that either it’s crappy media or that firmware for some drives can not yet write to it. Either way, I won’t be trying D01 again unless LG releases a firmware that specifically fixes the problem.

I’m looking for the best deal in Verbatim now, so far I’ve only found a 3/pack for $39.00 Canadian at a local store.