Lg-4163B can't burn a disk

vbimport

I just bought this drive and installed it in a computer that’s 3 years old, I never had a problem with my old Lg CD burner, now I can’t get a complete disk. I’ve tried different types of burning software, (Nero, 1Click) without any success. I got a partial burn of 1 click last night on a Verbatim DVD-rw. My son has the same drives in a new machine, burning same media without problems, so I’m starting to suspect compatability problems with my older machine. Athlon CPU with 128 ram. Frustration starting to set in any help or advice would be appreciated.

3 years old … well try some simulations with Nero.
128 MB as you write below is not enough muscle IMHO.
I have Athlon XP1800+, 512MB RAM, UW-SCSI hdds and one Samsung IDE hdd (quite new) on primary IDE as Master, the DVD writer on Secondary as Master - and nothing else on those buses

DVD writing needs WAY more speed than CD writing! Think of that. 1x DVD writing is sth like 10x CD writing, so you see what 4x or 8x would mean. Try to write slower (2x or 4x). As you said DVD-RW (you mean +RW maybe?), it will be 4x speed i guess. Try to reduce to 2x!

Be sure to have your (reasonable fast) 1 or 2 hdds on Primary as Master/Slave and your DVD writer if possible ALONE on secondary as master. If both are on one IDE, they have to share the speed of that IDE bus. Separate them like I told you above. If you still have the CD writer in the system and on one bus with the DVD writer, disconnect it and retry.
AGAIN: DVD writer alone on one IDE port! Everything else might be recipe to desaster.

I’ve tried different types of burning software, (Nero, 1Click) without any success. I got a partial burn of 1 click last night on a Verbatim DVD-rw. My son has the same drives in a new machine, burning same media without problems, so I’m starting to suspect compatability problems with my older machine. Athlon CPU with 128 ram. Frustration starting to set in any help or advice would be appreciated.

Give that Athlon with 128MB ram, I would say its sth like Athlon 600-800MHz? Leave machine alone while burning. Open no other programs. (I guess you did both of there right).

Disable screen savers. Disable the Monitors Power Properties. Disable ANY power saving settings on your machine. Disable everything which might do accesses at some time (in Win98 or ME, the Scheduling Agent for example).

Use nero, uncheck “write disc” on the last tab, only use “Check speed” and “Simulation” on that tab. Do it a couple of times.

Defrag your hdd drives if they are VFAT(32). If you have Win2K or even XP, add RAM. Win2k may run with 128MB but XP -> no way. I think XP with 512MB feels more sluggish than Win2k with 192MB - in my opinion.

Remember: 8x speed dvd-writing means nearly 12MB/sec - your 128MB minus the space Windoze needs may be sth like 80MB left if its Win98 - thats not even 7 seconds of buffer! If you have even less free memory, the shorter it is. For CD writing, 80MB are about 14 seconds at 40x speed, to make the difference clearer.

If writer and harddisk are on one IDE cable, separate that and you may be done. If writer already is alone on one IDE port - more research is needed.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Do not hesitate to come back.

All the best, oman/Lutz

Tried to burn a CD-RW at 4X just to test drive, got about 20% through then communication failure, everything including screensavers were turned off. Defragging now but I doubt if it will work. I think your probably right about speed of system. Looks as though my Athlon 850 with 128 meg ram is not going to cut it. Time for a much needed upgrade. Thanks for your help.

This is strange - burning a CD-RW at 4x speed should definitely work! If you have Win XP on that PC, get more RAM, but anything before XP should do burn fine (at least CD-R/RWs) with 128MB. I already did burn DVD-Rs on a K6-400, so your system speed is ok I guess, maybe RAM is more an issue.

I dont know what mainboard/chipset you have, but maybe you need to install better/newer IDE chipset drivers. Please post some more detailed information about your system so we may be able to figure this out. Also your configuration would be of interest - again, be sure hdd and dvd writer are on different IDE

If you used Nero when you got the communication failure, you may want to post / attach the Log file Nero offers to write here. Also try to get rid of any other burning software - maybe uninstall all writing software and only install one program. As most people here appear to use Nero, go for that one. Also get the most recent version from www.ahead.de or (I think) www.nero.com. There is a bunch of Clean Tools somewhere there (Support -> Utilities I think) you might want to run after uninstalling all that software, reboot and install one burning program. Check the Buffer Size in “Expert Settings” or similar in the Nero Options - a big buffer is good, but if you have little RAM too big a size may force the system into swapping. For 4x speed CD-RW tests, try to set it to sth like 12MB (= 20sec with 4x CD).

Your approach of starting with a simple thing like CD burning and then going upwards is a good idea. Please do note some people had problems with CD burning on the 4163B and had to RMA the drive. As different laser units or at least lenses/optics are used for DVD and CD, one of them working and the other not is possible.

On XP, disabling IMAPI in “Services” (click Start -> Execute -> services.msc) may bring some improvement, too.

Hope this helps a little bit :confused:
Regards!

Problem solved sort of. Not enough ram and Cpu to slow to support this drive in Windows XP format. I’ll have to upgrade my system to proceed. I did get limited results after defragging drive nad turning off all applications. This drive must need more than 77 meg free ram to support its buffers etc. Thanks for all your help Oman

Buying more RAM always is a good idea with XP I think. It is not that expensive and a great plus for all of your work I think … upgrading the CPU would only be reasonable if the mainboard is very old and has no support for the newer RAM types. But we computer users are already used to having discard almost everything each time we want to upgrade :confused:

Too bad it comes out this way, but I think you should get 512MB for about C$100 … plus taxes, maybe.

Come back when you doing your next CD/DVD burning - promise it :wink:

Greetings,
oman

Have u tried copying any data from disc to HDD, does it report device I/O error??
I have problem reading (copy disc, the disc works fine on other drives) with my 4163B?? I need it to fix it quick, going oversea soon