LG 4082B - Suggested Firmware?

Hello everyone! I’m new here at CDFreaks.com fourms and especially new to the DVD Writer scene. It feels like 1998 again when new CD-R/RW writers were hitting the market left and right… :eek:

I recently purchased the LG 4082B after much debate and head scratching.

The drive is labelled as having Firmware Revision A201 (manufactured in April 2004).

Can any experienced 4082 users recommend a firmware revision for usage?

I went to LG’s service site to check the latest firmware, and it is A206. Should I use this firmware, or is it reported to have problems?

Also, what advantages do Hacked Firmware Revisions have over manufacturer firmware? Any comments on the risk of using such firmware, like decreased compatibility, instability, and so on?

TIA for those that can answer/help out. :smiley:

Off Topic: CDFreaks.com & Forums helped out a lot when I had to make a purchase decision

In the end the LG 4082B was my choice because of value, features, and general concensus that it is a great drive. :slight_smile:

** I know I’m going to kick myself when the 4120B is released. But I’ll get strarted with the 4082B for now **

I’m using the new A206 firmware for my 4082B. When I bought it, it probably had A201 in it, so I updated it to A204. Since then, I’ve burned disks either using A204 or A206. I don’t know of any change but LG says A206 supports LG 8x DVD-R media. I think it is safe to update to A206. Somehow I prefer 4082B to Plextor PX-708A which I bought for nearly 400K won, or about US$330 last year these days.

Until I have a 4120B or something better, I’ll continue to use it as my first writer. :iagree:

Firmware (oops, my original post should’ve been directed to the Firmware forum!)
After some research, I have found the Region Free A206 firmware (RPC1) for the 4082B.

Initial Testing & Impressions
I did a few tests by backing up Far Cry DVD and burning it to a cheap branded DVD-R media, “Matrix” at 4x. I didn’t pay attention to the read time, but the write time was just under 9 minutes. Far Cry’s ISO image is approximately 3.8 GB.

Did another test by backing up “Infernal Affairs” DVD Video and writing to same media at 4x. The original disc was quite scratched. Movie played well on my Thinkpad CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N). I think this is also a Hitachi manufactured drive, like the LG (or am I incorrect in stating that Hitachi manufactures for LG?) I’ve yet to play this on a standalone player, but will do so to verify.

I’m going to gather some data and test the 8x writing ability for a full 4.7 GB disc. Since I’ll be using this mainly for backup of Music files (mp3/flac/ogg/ape) and Multimedia files (avi/divx/xvid/mkv/mpg) it’ll be very important to me that this drive burns the data properly with minimal errors and that the disc can be read in a variety of drives I use and work with.

Overall the DVD reading/writing is great! I’m very happy with this drive and I can’t wait for the next round of 12x and 16x writers to arrive in North America.

As for DL, I think I will hold off for at least another 6 months to a year before I purchase a DL unit. By then, media cost will be lower and hardware/software problems associated with DL reading/writing will be settled - or at least I hope so…

PS - Kenshin, thanks for the reply. I’ve been lurking the forums here for a couple weeks and your posts have been very informative.

That’s very fast, usual RPC1. :slight_smile: (I liked the old “Firmware Page” name more.)

@jto168,

PS - Kenshin, thanks for the reply. I’ve been lurking the forums here for a couple weeks and your posts have been very informative.

Thank you for your compliment. :wink:

There are still more additions in DVD media, not really different media manufacturers but just with different brand names and retailers adding only confusion rather than alternatives. One thing I’ve respected and cherished since child is consistency.

Both the Auto Reset and RPC1 firmware were availbe at DB’s site.

No problem!

One other question for you personally Kenshin and others using LG 4082B; have you been able to write at 8x to DVD-R/+R Media rated for 4x writing? And if so, which brands in particular and with what software did you use that allowed you to do so?

No, but I was able to write at 4x to DVD+R media rated for 8x writing even when 8x was supported. :slight_smile: Like 4120B, 4082B and 4081B do not write at 8x to popular 4x-rated media such as ricohjpnr01.

I use Nero for most of recording needs.

I’ve updated to A208 firmware for LG4082 and still cannot burn DVD’s beyond 4X? I had purchased an OEM drive and even at the A207 update could not burn beyond 4X. Even updated mb bios did not help!

Tech. support from LG is useless, no acknowledgement or response.

Can anyone help?

What´s the media-codes of the media?

Sorry, don’t know how to figure that out. I tried VAKOSS 8X -R and BENQ 8X +R.

Try some good media, like verbatim, TY, MBI, TDK if you want to burn at 8 speed.

Look for the DVD-Identifier and download it:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Thanks, here is what it says…

This is what it says for the VAKOSS,

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This is what it says for the BENQ

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RAXON-AZ2-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Daxon Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [DAXON]
Media Type ID : [AZ2]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Hello!

I don´t think that´s good media for the 4082.

Can you get some Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony (with Sony-ADIP)?

The LG 4082 writes those media 8x:

Ricoh DVD+R 8x

Sony +R 8x (Code: Sony D11)

Sony DVD-R 8x (Sony 08D1)

Fuji DVD+R 8x (Yuden T02)

I can try some Fuji DVD+R 8X but may not get the Yuden, perhaps the Made In Taiwan stuff. Why is the burner so finiky on media type?

Hello!

LG have not a very good FW-Support. The newer 8x-media isn´t in the media-table from the 4082

How do you find what is on the media table? Can I add it myself with MediaCodeSpeedEdit?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=114269

Maybe here?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133858

Would the Fuji DVD-R 8X (Made in Taiwan) work?

I don´t have that media (must be ProdiscF01). I think that´s not real good, because the media came much later on the market than the 4082 and LG´s FW-support is not the best

OK, thanks. I bought some FUJI-R 8X MIT that I will refund. I also bought some FUJI+R 8X MIJ which you mentioned should work.

I’ll give it a shot.