LG 22NP20, is it any good?

vbimport

I’ve just bought this one today to replace my Lite-On 20A1H that died on me a couple days ago.

In addition to this Lite-On (now LG), I also have Pioneer DVR 115D installed (and it’s an excellent burner IMO).

At first I tried to get some Lite-On to ensure that I will be able to scan the disc, despite the burning quality of the drive, but the shop didn’t have any IDE model of Lite-On, so I had to pick LG instead, hoping that it could atleast do the scan.

Well, after installing the drive on my PC, I start searching and found the LG Faqs on this site. The more I read it, the more I know that this drive may be a flop.

I mean, the whole LG line can’t even perform the quality scan and the burning quality doesn’t seem to be as good as that of my DVR 115D.

However, that’s only my conclusion after some 45 mins of searching and to confirm that, I need you guys opinions (since I don’t have any Lite-On left to do the quality scan with).

My question is, how good is this one when it comes to DVD+R, DVD DL +R and CD-R writing, comparing with DVR 115D.

BTW I found the review of the LP model on this site, but I don’t know the difference between 22NP20 and 22LP20.

GH22LP20 = with lightscribe

The overall quality of GH22NP20 ( with the last firmware 2.0 ) is a good to very good burner with DVD+R media and an average to good burner with DVD-R.

See more here: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh22n-l-results-discussion-242448/

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2473179]GH22LP20 = with lightscribe

The overall quality of GH22NP20 ( with the last firmware 2.0 ) is a good to very good burner with DVD+R media and an average to good burner with DVD-R.

See more here: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh22n-l-results-discussion-242448/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Based on the review in the above link, if only difference of the two is LightScribe capability, the NP model’s performance should be equal to that of LP model, right? In that case, I think it’s a pretty decent writer for CD and DVD+R.

One more bad thing for me is that I’ve just checked with EAC and found that the lowest speed I can use in burning a CD is 16X, which is kinda high in my book (prefer 8 or 10X for compatibility).

BTW, this site was changed a lot from my last visit. You may notice that I joined the forum since 2005, but didn’t visit the site often recently. Last time I checked several months ago the forum was still in the old look. I notice that the address was changed too. So what happened with the original one?

Hi,[QUOTE=PrTv;2473215]
One more bad thing for me is that I’ve just checked with EAC and found that the lowest speed I can use in burning a CD is 16X, which is kinda high in my book (prefer 8 or 10X for compatibility).[/quote]This doesn’t matter. That drive is a surprisingly good CD writer - even with my Sony discs which I consider as average at best: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh22n-l-results-discussion-242448/index20.html#post2467304

So what happened with the original one?
CDfreaks.com became MyCE.com :slight_smile:
If you don’t like the new forum style, you can still switch to the classic versions (just scroll to the bottom of the page) :wink:

Michael

Thanks man, I like the old look better.

Anyway, about the burn quality, I revived my old 20A1H just to do its last assignment, comparing the burning quality of the 2 drives.

Here are some CD burning results.

[B]LG (16X)[/B]

[B]Pioneer DVR115D (10X)[/B]

While the result from LG qualifies as a good burn, the result from Pioneer is simply better.

I also tried some DVD comparison but found that my Lite-On refused to read any discs coming out of the LG (the LG itself and

Pioneer can read the disc without any problem), so I can’t compare that.

I know that this may not be a properly evaluation, since I just compared some random discs that didn’t even come from the same image file, but at least I got a better picture of which one is a better performer. I may keep LG and mainly use it as a reader, but it will never replace my Pioneer as a writer.

BTW, about scaning speed, how fast do you guys scan the CD?
I know that with this lite-on I can use up to 8X to scan the DVD with accurate result, but I have no idea when it comes to CD scanning, so I just stick with 8X for now.

I would ask if LG drives in general are good models. Could you aswer on that please?

Thank you

Unfortunately, Liteon DVD writers are not suitable for CD scanning.
The only drives that are able to do that job are Optiarc AD-720x and 724x drives.

Michael

@SubZero: You should start an own thread about this. But it’s not a bad idea to browse through this sub-forum including the “Read First” threads.