LG 16x BD burner $79.99 at Frys

vbimport

Model is BH16NS40. Store pickup or shipping for those with no local Fry’s.

http://www.frys.com/product/7546606?site=sa:adpages%20page:P4_FRI%20date:030113

Thanks, wish I had toy money:( I’ve always had good luck with their drives, they just work outa the box. Bad thing is they tend to not update much but my GGW H10l combo reader burner still works, just wont read the new Three Stooges movie:doh:

I hope that drives the WH14NS40 price back down to <$60…

Meh, most 12x drive should be $40 by now. As for 16x-- as a predicted this day would come… on the media we have today I doubt you can say it’s significantly faster than the 14x & 15x drives on write speeds. These companies have yet to PROVE to the enthusiast crowd that writing faster will allow the data integrity to “stick around” as long as we want it to… (3 - 5 years on average w/ dvd as proved w/ REAL WORLD stress tests of mid to super grade dvd-r+rs). Mostly it would be enthusiasts buying an $80 drive vs a $40 or $50 one.

But it goes to 11…:cool:

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2679769]Meh, most 12x drive should be $40 by now.

…[/QUOTE]

12x BD writer should be priced at US$10 by now, 14x at US$15, 16x at US$18, and so on.

There are some important reasons why it is not so, but the most important one is because BD-R and BD-RW recording became obsolescent before the BD drive manufacters and licensees could take their collective efforts to decide when to make BD cheap and mass products. Both LG and Samsung lost much of their interest in optical storage by early 2000s because profitability was virtually zero even then for their CD-ROM, CD-R, DVD-ROM, CD-R/DVD-ROM combo, DVD+R/-R, and Super Multi drives. Yearly sales amounted to one or two billions in US dollars for each of the largest market share leaders and it was extremely labour-intensive work at the drive assembly lines. Those optical drives are also heavy and big requiring too much for inventory and shipment.

These companies have yet to PROVE to the enthusiast crowd that writing faster will allow the data integrity to “stick around” as long as we want it to…

Store on RAM-based drives if you desire to spend less time on storing and need to enhance data integrity.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2703144]12x BD writer should be priced at US$10 by now, 14x at US$15, 16x at US$18, and so on.[/QUOTE]
Based on what? Your gut feeling?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2703157]Based on what? Your gut feeling?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you didn’t read my past posts on the optical drive industry. There are important reasons why Samsung and LG cannot sell their Blu-ray writing drives at US$10. They could sell their CD and DVD drives at those prices. When I say prices of optical drives and SSD drives, it’s about OEM, not retail. Average OEM prices of optical drives for desktop computers and laptop computers have been between US$10 and US$20 in the past 15 years. It is much closer to US$10. It’s easy to accept if one can consider what price it would have been for PC manufacturers to add two 3.5-inch FDD drives since the first and foremost value of an ODD is to replace FDD rather than HDD or extend the storage capacity of HDD. Those reasons include license cost, where and by which companies the materials are produced, logistics, scale of mass production, demand, etc. The previous post focused on the fact Blu-ray was already forgotten years before the post-DVD standard could ever become mainstream and succeed CD and DVD because many of the very leading ODD and optical media manufacturers were also into SSD and some of them were succeeding, like Samsung.

PC manufacturers could not accept BD drives at prices like US$50 and US$100. Even US$30 was too high, impossible. Average PC chassis costs something like US$5. Same for PSU. US$20 to US$50 for motherboard PLUS CPU. An ODD is much far less important than chassis or PSU or motherboard.

The thumb drives and sd cards will put a dent in BD-RE optical discs if they can get the prices down (compared to BD-ReWriteable discs). Blu Ray optical rewriteable discs are all over the map… upwards of $25 for a single 50gb dual layer rewriteable-- so about 10 cents a GB more for flash?!? Crazy!

The blu ray consortium got corrupted by the copyright industry… it is biased to be high so that they can collect royalties and suppress piracy using the discs. Leave it to the pirates to convert to using hard drives, streaming and warehousing of data across the globe as alternatives!! Now all the copyright industry can do is try to suppress broadband deployment and increase its pricing on a biased basis.

Broadband and network hdd arrays are slowly killing off optical disc. I still have hope that flash will come around too… but breath not held. We will all have several grey hairs (assuming it’s not dyed) on our heads before its possible, let alone executed.

Any predictions for holiday sales? Only 53 or so days…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2703212]The thumb drives and sd cards will put a dent in BD-RE optical discs if they can get the prices down (compared to BD-ReWriteable discs). Blu Ray optical rewriteable discs are all over the map… upwards of $25 for a single 50gb dual layer rewriteable-- so about 10 cents a GB more for flash?!? Crazy!

The blu ray consortium got corrupted by the copyright industry… it is biased to be high so that they can collect royalties and suppress piracy using the discs. Leave it to the pirates to convert to using hard drives, streaming and warehousing of data across the globe as alternatives!! Now all the copyright industry can do is try to suppress broadband deployment and increase its pricing on a biased basis.

Broadband and network hdd arrays are slowly killing off optical disc. I still have hope that flash will come around too… but breath not held. We will all have several grey hairs (assuming it’s not dyed) on our heads before its possible, let alone executed.

Any predictions for holiday sales? Only 53 or so days…

Not sure where you’re buying you DL BD-RE’s from, but I can buy TDK Dual layer re-writables for under £3.00