Lexar JumpDrive P10 32GB – The king is here

We’ve just posted the following review: Lexar JumpDrive P10 32GB – The king is here[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/07/image001-95x41.png[/newsimage]

Almost a year ago I had the opportunity to test the Lexar JumpDrive Triton, and at that time i was amazed by the performance. Now after almost one year I have again the opportunity to test the P10. The Lexar JumpDrie P10 is here to set new standards, and you can find out all about that in this review, all you have to do is to continue reading this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/lexar-jumpdrive-p10-32gb-the-king-is-here-67931/](http://www.myce.com/review/lexar-jumpdrive-p10-32gb-the-king-is-here-67931/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wow. Speedy!

One of the fastest, with the Corsair Flash Voyager GT Turbo. Although the last is always not available.

That’s fast!
Thanks for the review.

Like I said in the other reviews, its Micron nand and its awesome, I have a few of the Lexar Tritons, and these are more expensive and rightly so. They are faster and just a better drive. Great review.:flower: Its faster than Vertex 2.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2692957]Like I said in the other reviews, its Micron nand and its awesome, I have a few of the Lexar Tritons, and these are more expensive and rightly so. They are faster and just a better drive. Great review.:flower: Its faster than Vertex 2.[/QUOTE]

It’s a very fast drive. Here you can see the inside of the Lexar Jumpdrive S23, and yes when it comes to Sequential read/write it’s as fast as a most of the SATA 3Gbit/S SSD’s.

“Man-O-Man” – great review on what looks to be another great Jump Drive offering from Lexar … :clap:
… just ordered a 32GB P10, & looking forward to seeing what the Intel / ASMedia 3.0 on Z87 can do with it … :cool:

Received the new [B]Lexar Jump Drive 32GB P10 [/B]… :bigsmile:
… only issue so far - it would have been nice if Lexar / Crucial would have labeled it 32GB [B]P10[/B] on the drive itself …
… can’t tell the diff from my original Jump Drive 32GB just by looking at it - both just show : 32GB …
Very minor, I know —> [I]just sayin’ [/I]… :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jimrun;2694294]Received the new [B]Lexar Jump Drive 32GB P10 [/B]… :bigsmile:
… only issue so far - it would have been nice if Lexar / Crucial would have labeled it 32GB [B]P10[/B] on the drive itself …
… can’t tell the diff from my original Jump Drive 32GB just by looking at it - both just show : 32GB …
Very minor, I know —> [I]just sayin’ [/I]… :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hi jimrun,

unfortunately you will have to plug them into a a USB port so that you can see the different color on the led. other than that, it’s almost impossible to identify which drive is the P10 and which is the Triton.
The Triton has a white led, and the P10 has a red one, as far as i remember.

Hi vroom,

The P10 does indeed have a red LED …
… it doesn’t seem to light-up as much, or as often, as the white LED does on the Triton version - nbd.

Will be testing the P10 on a new Z87 build today - wonder what the diff will be between the Intel USB 3.0 ports & the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports …
… the ASMedia 3.0 ports ran faster than the Renesas 3.0 ports did on the Z68 boards.
Looking forward to seeing what these new Z87 ASMedia 3.0 ports will do - the new P10 should be perfect for this … :cool:

You guys might be disappointed with the ASMedia performance. I tested with a Sabertooth 990FX board (which might have an older ASMedia chipset, IDK) and I hit 202MB/sec MKV read (versus the 243 as reviewed) and 175MB/sec MKV write (versus the 179MB/sec as reviewed).

A couple of quick critiques of the review:

The “real-world” small file test isn’t really a small file test; I tested the P10 with a backup of my website - proper small files - and you really see the performance dive. The Sandisk Extreme is a better all-round performer.

The P10 wasn’t compared with the best of the rest of the market. The Transcend JetFlash 780, Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 and Kingston HyperX are in the same performance realm and almost half the price, in the UK at least. The Kingston is only available at 64GB plus sizes, however.

[QUOTE=creepypixie;2694622]You guys might be disappointed with the ASMedia performance. I tested with a Sabertooth 990FX board (which might have an older ASMedia chipset, IDK) and I hit 202MB/sec MKV read (versus the 243 as reviewed) and 175MB/sec MKV write (versus the 179MB/sec as reviewed).[/QUOTE]

And with an older chipset such as the nec that there is on the the Gigabyte P55A-UD4 the drive has even lower performance, so we can see that different chipsets will results in different speeds.

A couple of quick critiques of the review:

The “real-world” small file test isn’t really a small file test; I tested the P10 with a backup of my website - proper small files - and you really see the performance dive. The Sandisk Extreme is a better all-round performer.

Not many people have a small website to backup to their flash drive.
I dont think that many people with a website will care much about backing up their website in a flash drive, I am sure that most of them have some other kind of backup and not a flash drive.

On your test did you use our RAM as a storage device? An SSD? A mechanical drive?

As you said, different chipsets will give different results, I used the intel ports on my tests.

The P10 wasn’t compared with the best of the rest of the market. The Transcend JetFlash 780, Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 and Kingston HyperX are in the same performance realm and almost half the price, in the UK at least. The Kingston is only available at 64GB plus sizes, however.

When those drives will be avlaible for a review you will see them reviewed, for the moment i can only comment on what i have tested.

[QUOTE=vroom;2694632]Not many people have a small website to backup to their flash drive.
I dont think that many people with a website will care much about backing up their website in a flash drive, I am sure that most of them have some other kind of backup and not a flash drive.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It is not a purpose for which USBs are - commonly - used. I just raised it as - possibly - misleading because another commenter on the forum has compared the P10 to the performance of the Vertex 2 (which will stomp all over a USB flash, like the P10, as soon as you use it to handle small files).

There are other, more common, uses of truly small files on flash drives; An example would be booting operating systems like Linux distros, Windows recovery/installation disks, virus scanners, etc. So my $0.02 worth is that a review should contain a test that represents this workload.

[QUOTE=vroom;2694632]On your test did you use our RAM as a storage device? An SSD? A mechanical drive?
[/QUOTE]

SoftPerfect RAM Disk 3.4.0

[QUOTE=vroom;2694632]As you said, different chipsets will give different results, I used the intel ports on my tests.

When those drives will be avlaible for a review you will see them reviewed, for the moment i can only comment on what i have tested.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed the review and found it very informative. I was just adding some, hopefully, constructive critcism. I’ll post again as soon as I have tested the P10 on my Z87 Haswell. I’m interested to see how that looks.

[QUOTE=creepypixie;2694695]
I’ll post again as soon as I have tested the P10 on my Z87 Haswell. [B]I’m interested to see how that looks.[/B][/QUOTE]

Me 2 … :iagree:

[QUOTE=creepypixie;2694695]Agreed. It is not a purpose for which USBs are - commonly - used. I just raised it as - possibly - misleading because another commenter on the forum has compared the P10 to the performance of the Vertex 2 (which will stomp all over a USB flash, like the P10, as soon as you use it to handle small files).

There are other, more common, uses of truly small files on flash drives; An example would be booting operating systems like Linux distros, Windows recovery/installation disks, virus scanners, etc. So my $0.02 worth is that a review should contain a test that represents this workload.[/QUOTE]

I will try to add some of this tests, but the problem is that I will have to use a stopwatch to measure the time, and this way isn’t very accurate.

SoftPerfect RAM Disk 3.4.0

So speed wasnt a problem :wink:

I really enjoyed the review and found it very informative. I was just adding some, hopefully, constructive critcism. I’ll post again as soon as I have tested the P10 on my Z87 Haswell. I’m interested to see how that looks.

Constructive criticism is always welcome and i hope that by my next review i will be able to test all my drives again with a much smaller files.
I’ll wait to see your results.

Creepypixie it would be interesting if could post a comparison of a small file benchmark between the Sandisk Extreme and Lexar P10. Lexar is much more expensive, propably because it is made in USA.

I cant afford a 64gb P10 so I had to settle for the Triton, but its build quality along with its ( Tritons) Mid range Speed is what sold me, I got mine on a Amazon Gold Box Deal, or I couldnt even afford the Triton LOL.