Let's talk about SATA optical devices

I just posted the article Let’s talk about SATA optical devices.

People who recently bought a SATA optical drive already know that these drives have serious compatibility problems with many mainboards. The main problem is that SATA…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12708-Lets-talk-about-SATA-optical-devices.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12708-Lets-talk-about-SATA-optical-devices.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Is M$ behind this? :d

Behind which? Vista or SATA?

I recently purchased a Lite-On SHC-52S7K-05 and my problem has not been compatibility with my components but the fact that Lite-On doesn’t even list it on their website. A firmware update would probably help the lackluster DVD read speeds. Other than that it works fine. I even installed Windows with it

I recently purchased a Lite-On SHC-52S7K-05 and my problem has not been compatibility with my components but the fact that Lite-On doesn’t even list it on their website. A firmware update would probably help the lackluster DVD read speeds. Other than that it works fine. I even installed Windows with it

With so many newer mobo’s having very little old atapi ports the need for good atapi support on SATA ports is becoming very urgent

Sorry but I do not care about any new reviews from optical drives with IDE interface. :c Pls. consider testing mutch more SATA optical drives - thx hallo51

I’m surprised the big guys like Dell and HP don’t get rid of IDE on their motherboards. Apparently it’s cheaper to add IDE and use PATA drives than to buy SATA drives. It doesn’t make sense to me though.

For a while new Dells (intel models at least) have been SATA only… and pretty much the only way to get a SATA optical drive in the UK (they are rare).