Let me get this straight

vbimport

I use MY hard-earned money to buy MYSELF a game.

If I install MY game on MY computer in MY house and find that waiting for the game to start is wasting MY time, and I download a no-cd patch, it's illegal?

Yep!

Modifying the software is (in almost all cases) a violation of the End User License Agreement (EULA)

In your country is almost everything illegal regarding backup software, modifying the software for sure, you guys have the DMCA… we have to wait a little bit longer to get something similar overhere in Europe…

:mad:

Downloading the patch is not illegal.

If the patch is a (reverse) engineerd piece of work based on the original files made by the manufacturer , the author has broken the copyright of it.

Creating a program with the sole purpose of bypassing protection is not illegal either , unless otherwise stated in the end user license agreement (EULA) of the program and media you are gonna use it on. (And usually it’s there) Patching/modifying/cracking someone’s protected files and programs however is.

Any person who tells you this is just for evaluation purpose is a moron. Any person who tells you illegal software is legal for the first 24 hours , is a even bigger moron.

By the way … This is not legal :

You buy a nice computer , along came windows software.
Simply do NOT agree with the license agreement , take the license key/book/cdrom and go to the store you bought your pc from and get your money back.

You can really annoy stores buy buying a lot of software and then disagree with all the license agreements and demand a refund.

The problem with EULA is … you can’t see it on the outside of the BOX wich your software/game comes in.
You have to install it before the EULA pops up.

Linux is better eh? Wished more games/programs supported it.

Originally posted by Kosh
The problem with EULA is … you can’t see it on the outside of the BOX wich your software/game comes in.

so ? if you don’t agree to it , you return it… simple as that.

you have that right as a customer

Originally posted by Wiz486
Linux is better eh? Wished more games/programs supported it.

what kind of program would you like in linux then that is not supported yet ? (read programs … please do not come up with a whole list of games that were only made for the win32 platform)

Originally posted by Kosh

This is one of the many reasons why such EULAs are invalid in Germany. This means I’m not bound to their terms, just to the standard copyright law. :slight_smile:

Wait a minute… Are you guys serious? If you don’t agree to EULA you can just return the software for a refund??? In the US? Wow, I would really be surprised!

Tell me if it really works!

A number of US stores (Staples, CompUSA, etc.) will not accept returned software that has been opened. But, if you do not accept the EULA, it seems to me they are obligated to take it back. Interesting conundrum.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]Wait a minute… Are you guys serious? If you don’t agree to EULA you can just return the software for a refund??? In the US? Wow, I would really be surprised!

Tell me if it really works! [/B]

Just try it on a $5 game :slight_smile: and then work your way up.

I heard it works for Microsoft’s products. Seen lots of people on /. who buy a new computer , install Linux and return Microsoft Windows to the computer salesdroid for a refund.

In the Netherlands you usually have 24 or 48 hours to return the product , and you don’t get your money back but a refund/coupon for another thing in their store.

the eula is one of the weirdest things. here you are…you’ve already bought the program. you paid money. and NOW they spring another agreement on you, because paying your cash wasnt enough. its like you are leasing their product or something.

You just said a dirty word. That is exactly the direction Microsoft is headed.

Originally posted by ckin2001
the eula is one of the weirdest things. here you are…you’ve already bought the program. you paid money. and NOW they spring another agreement on you, because paying your cash wasnt enough. its like you are leasing their product or something.

I once got Staples to refund my money on a terrible program I purchased in a weak moment. They acted like I was some sort of pervert, but they would permit me this one transgression. I never bought anything from that particular store again. Beside, the manager was an idiot.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Just try it on a $5 game :slight_smile: and then work your way up.

I heard it works for Microsoft’s products. Seen lots of people on /. who buy a new computer , install Linux and return Microsoft Windows to the computer salesdroid for a refund.

In the Netherlands you usually have 24 or 48 hours to return the product , and you don’t get your money back but a refund/coupon for another thing in their store. [/B]

hehe never troubles with cd-keys :slight_smile: just say you disagree with the licence agreeement :):cool: