Lenovo re-install problem

vbimport

I tried to reset my Lenovo K450 to factory using the Lenovo Onekey restore program, I got an error message indicating Onekey was not operable. In order to get back in

operation I installed my Win 8 disk.
I am trying to get it to reset to factory, but now I do not have any of the Lenovo Recovery Media, I have tried the Lenovo support, but all you get are a series of solutions

to try to solve the problem, none of which work.
Does anyone have any idea how to restore the missing Onekey program, or how to do a foctory re-install without it. I tried to find out if they had a recovery disk, and could

not find one, their costumer service is also a list of solutions . I could not even get a phone number for costumer service. What a mess. Any help appreciated.

Did you delete any partitions when you installed manually Windows 8? Actually, have you ever deleted any partitions on that computer (on the original hard drive) at all?

The only thing I found was this page: http://www5.nohold.net/Lenovo/Loginr.aspx?pid=4&login=1

If you didn’t create a recovery disc before having problems with Onekey, it looks like you’ll need to contact them using the phone number on this page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus/supportphonelist

However, if your computer is out of warranty, they may charge you for phone support.

I have a Lenovo Desktop but I long ago eliminated the recovery partition.
When I had it there was an “F” key that was selected at boot to get to the partition.
Do you have any option like that.
I still have F1 for entering the BIOS setup & F12 for selecting optional boot devices .
There was one for the recovery partition.

Does anyone have any idea how to restore the missing Onekey program

If Lenovo’s is based on THIS ONE,you can install and try to find the backup files,as they should be compatible…

If the computer is still bootable (or if you have another Windows 8/8.1 computer?), this Microsoft tool will create a Windows installation disc for you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You will have to download any Lenovo utilities you need from the Lenovo web site. Also any drivers that Windows is unable to find for itself.

[QUOTE=Albert;2745655]Did you delete any partitions when you installed manually Windows 8? Actually, have you ever deleted any partitions on that computer (on the original hard drive) at all?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply Albert, I have never intentionally deleted any partitions. How could I find out if one was deleted?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2745660]If the computer is still bootable (or if you have another Windows 8/8.1 computer?), this Microsoft tool will create a Windows installation disc for you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You will have to download any Lenovo utilities you need from the Lenovo web site. Also any drivers that Windows is unable to find for itself.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ibex, I actually have used this program in the past, worked great, I was able to get it back in working order with my Win.8 disk and upgrade to 8.1, that is where I am at now, but I have lost my recovery system to bring it back to factory conditions because the computer messed up, jumps all over the place, I tried to re-install Win 8 over again, and now it will not install. Somehow I think I need to find out how to get that restore system back, am trying to find a recovery disk.

Heres a .pdf for your Lenovo .
Just do a “find” for onekey .

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/k450_ug_en.pdf

I found this is a forum post:

Incidentally I also discovered that you have to hold the F2 key down and then power up, if you wish to enter Lenovo OneKey Recovery, as you only have 280 milliseconds to trigger it, tapping it just doesn’t work

If you manage to get into the OneKey it is supposed to be able to create a rescue disc . That might be helpful next time.
Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2745658]If Lenovo’s is based on THIS ONE,you can install and try to find the backup files,as they should be compatible…[/QUOTE]
Road, many thanks , I honestly thought when I saw the webpage I would have to buy the product . I downloaded the freebie, and rebooted while holding the F2 Key(Lenovos Recovery), bingo, there was my Onekey option and am now installing my programs.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2745685]Road, many thanks , I honestly thought when I saw the webpage I would have to buy the product . I downloaded the freebie, and rebooted while holding the F2 Key(Lenovos Recovery), bingo, there was my Onekey option and am now installing my programs.[/QUOTE]

YW…:wink:
Glad to hear it worked…the ‘Onekey’ name made me thinking it was the same product,just rebranded…:wink:
Many companies do that,for example Seagate and and Western Digital use a special version of Acronis TrueImage…

Hey, glad it’s working out. :slight_smile:

…Once you get everything recovered, I think you can create separate recovery discs that can kickstart the process in the future if need be, like if you ever need to replace or reformat the entire hard drive. Never hurts to have a backup.

[QUOTE=Albert;2745700]Hey, glad it’s working out. :slight_smile:

…Once you get everything recovered, I think you can create separate recovery discs that can kickstart the process in the future if need be, like if you ever need to replace or reformat the entire hard drive. Never hurts to have a backup.[/QUOTE]

I agree Albert!

But Onekey has to support for bootcds and a selectable backup,only a hidden partition.
However,Aomei has another fine utility,Aomei Backupper,which can do ‘physical’ backups…and there’s a free version available too :clap:
Comparison chart between free and paid :

http://www.backup-utility.com/edition-comparison.html

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2745685] rebooted while holding the F2 Key(Lenovos Recovery)[/QUOTE]
I wonder if it would have started the Lenovo OneKey if that was all you did.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2745658]If Lenovo’s is based on THIS ONE,you can install and try to find the backup files,as they should be compatible…[/QUOTE]
Hi Road, thanks again for the help, just curious, I had to activate Windows by phone. Is that because its free, does the paid program come with a license?

Cholla, I think thats what it did, I had to activate by phone, so it might even be a substitute for Lenovos Onekey

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2745797]Hi Road, thanks again for the help, just curious, I had to activate Windows by phone. Is that because its free, does the paid program come with a license?[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with Onekey…the windows activation server knows that your windows 8 license was already used by a previous activation,so the phone activation was to ‘overwrite’ the previous activation on M$ activation servers…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2745802]Has nothing to do with Onekey…the windows activation server knows that your windows 8 license was already used by a previous activation,so the phone activation was to ‘overwrite’ the previous activation on M$ activation servers…[/QUOTE]
Thanks Road, just curious,as I never had to do it in the past.with other Lenovo factory re-installs.