Lenovo brings start menu to Windows 8 – smells like bloatware

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Lenovo brings start menu to Windows 8 – smells like bloatware[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]

Lenovo will add a start menu, start button and own app store to its Windows 8 PCs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/lenovo-brings-start-menu-to-windows-8-smells-like-bloatware-68527/](http://www.myce.com/news/lenovo-brings-start-menu-to-windows-8-smells-like-bloatware-68527/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Just use Classic Shell… Works great,

Domi, I don’t think this can be considered anything BUT bloatware, too. At first, Lenovo sounds like they’re “fighting the users’ fight” until I saw the bit about "direct link into that vendor’s App Store. Exactly how many App Stores does any hardware seller believe their customers will use? Five? Twenty?

Bloatware, indeed. I congratulate Lenovo for coming up with an innovative excuse to add in more stuff - their computers have not matched HP’s for Total Bloatware yet, but we’ll see what else is shoveled in there.

Kudos to Microsoft for making in roads for fragmented user experience with 1000 app stores.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2697093]Domi, I don’t think this can be considered anything BUT bloatware, too. At first, Lenovo sounds like they’re “fighting the users’ fight” until I saw the bit about "direct link into that vendor’s App Store. Exactly how many App Stores does any hardware seller believe their customers will use? Five? Twenty?

Bloatware, indeed. I congratulate Lenovo for coming up with an innovative excuse to add in more stuff - their computers have not matched HP’s for Total Bloatware yet, but we’ll see what else is shoveled in there.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=debro;2697101]Kudos to Microsoft for making in roads for fragmented user experience with 1000 app stores.[/QUOTE]
They’re not the first to do that. I have a Toshiba Android tablet with about half a dozen ‘App Stores’. (Toshiba, A model specific one, Google Play, Amazon, … even the non-removeable pre-loaded games have one!) :stuck_out_tongue:

I read elsewhere that, for a time, Lenovo was including Start8 on a few of their computers. Looks like they wanted a bit more income through an app store though.

That doesn’t doesn’t look like any start menu replacement I’d want on a system.

Just fixed the Start Menu issue on my new Toshiba.
Removed the drive, formatted it on my Linux Desktop machine and
installed Win 7 and Ubuntu. I still consider Win 7 to be Bloatware in itself but it’s better than the garbage that the OEMs bundle with a new machine.

If there is ANYTHING that represents ‘unstable’ or ‘poor security’, it’s GOT to be forcing me to use My Money in more different apps’ stores, each one having some level of encryption or security that I could never verify.

So, perhaps the OS can claim “greater security” but it’s more like throwing us into unmarked minefields. “Which one will explode when I land on it?”