Legislation to protect consumers rights in the digital age

I just posted the article Legislation to protect consumers rights in the digital age.

theonlybob submitted an interesting article which mentions congresswoman Zoe Lofgren reintroducing legislation designed to protect consumer’s ability to enjoy purchased digital copies of books,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5546-Legislation-to-protect-consumers-rights-in-the-digital-age.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5546-Legislation-to-protect-consumers-rights-in-the-digital-age.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

With all the recent stories regarding piracy, I’m sure a new website www.piracyfreaks.com could be opened :stuck_out_tongue:

I like how this legislation will prevent things like the DMCA from being passed. However I absolutely hate the fact that he says he wants to find ways to punish digital pirates. He should realize that nobody who copies anything for free is a criminal. If the DMCA was eliminated, I would like that. However, the scarry thing might be that if there was no laws to try to prevent illegal copying like the DMCA, there might be a more determined effort to crack down on illegal copying maybe into even the homes which would be as scarry as hell!!! People who copy and trade with friends are 100% innocent.

This kind of legislation is a good thing as it acts as a safety against possible over certain overzealous companies. however it does not change the fact that piracy is wrong and that Quote: “nobody who copies anything for free is a criminal. People who copy and trade with friends are 100% innocent.” are false statements that will not stand up in court when used as an excuse for rampant mp3/movies/applications downloading which IS wrong and is a direct form of theft. This is why alot of people caught do end up going to jail; because they cannot prove otherwise and cannot run away from the truth in the court room. Also to note; Quote: “there might be a more determined effort to crack down on illegal copying maybe into even the homes which would be as scarry as hell!!!” this process has already begun in a few areas and will no doubt increase if the current trend of uncotrolled downloading of copyrighted media is not curbed. Selfish people are simply providing law enforcement more leeway to carry out such raids :8

I have e-mailed the congresswoman thanking her for her efforts, and I would like to ask that some of you please do the same. Thanks.

This process has already begun in a few areas. No it has not I don’t think anyway. I have never read an article about someone getting in trouble for downloading music, movies, or software in my entire life. I have read articles about people getting into trouble for mass illegal copying and selling. If there was an article about a private individual getting into trouble for downloading/copying in their home, it would be posted on this website. My brother even says that he is sure nothing will happen to us because he says it is immpossible for FBI/police to enforce because everyone copies things. If law enforcement actually did ever enforce this at the end user level, it would create a big public panic and outrage!!! My whole high school and teachers would force anybody they knew out of jail if anything ever did happen to anybody at my high school. No end users get caught for this plain and simple!!! GO TO HELL alimoniumfood !!! Get the fuck off CDFreaks you WORTHLESS ROTTEN RETARD BASTARD!!! You are no better than Osama Bin Laden and Sudam Husein!!!

Calm down wolverine please. I don’t think that anyone is going to be taken to court for downloading a few songs. It is illegal to download music that you havn’t bought, although it doesn’t feel like a crime, as the record companies are the only losers, and they treat their customers like s**t. This legistation is an attempt to curb the record companies rampant denial of fair use, which as we know is getting out of hand with copy-protection on cds and restictive digital rights mangement on legal download services. I applaud this legistation, and am just sad that the record companies can’t be more accomodating to their customers without someone else stepping in to put a stop to it.

Wolverine18!! FUK your a dumbass, you seriously believe this website is the centre of the world and that everything gets posted here. No wonder your statements are full of SHT! Base your BullSHT statements from other sources not just this site and dont insult people cos there giving there own opinion you RETARD BASTARD! Happy Pirating GUYS!!! FUK THE RIAA!! <<LOSERS>>

wolverine cracks me up lol. wolverine u fail to realise that people are already recieving letters from certain companies through their isp’s for sharing/downloading copyrighted material without paying for it with lawsuits/fines. you also fail to realise that when the crackdown gets worse somebody’s going to be on the top of the list of doors they knock on. In fact they’re probly gatherin info on you and taking screenshots of your kazaa shares right now hehe. its already too late. the boyz up north are dusting out the linens for your cell bed and the boys in blue are already shining up that pair of cuffs for ya. :d hey send me a letter when you get there and tell me if it was worth all your postings on cdfreaks and all your obscentities. :wink: Deal? ok good. :8 We all learn one way or another…

Wolverine18: Is your brother younger or older than you? And does your family tree look like a telephone pole? Are you that ignorant to believe that crap that spews from your mouth? I would like you to ask some of your teachers if they think what you do is right. Better yet, go to your local police station with a few CDs that you copied from friends and give them to the chief of police. Let us know how it goes.

For all of you honest citizens who kindly remind us criminals how we shouldn’t be downloading copyrighted materials: Thanks so much. However, what you don’t seem to get is, this isn’t just about being able to get free music or movies or whatever. This is about your right to privacy. IT IS NO BUSINESS OF THE MPAA OR THE RIAA WHAT I’M DOWNLOADING OR NOT DOWNLOADING. They are corporate lobbying groups, not government law-enforcement agencies. Is it my right to download their content? No. But more importantly, is it their right to monitor what a private citizen of the U.S. (or any country, for that matter) does with an Internet connection that he/she pays for? That is an even bigger NO. And that is what is at stake here. I’m all for the FBI being able to catch terrorists, sickos, and whatnot, but the FBI is not the RIAA or MPAA. You seem to think people like Wolverine blind and unreasoning. Perhaps. But you are just as bad in your own way. Maybe worse. Because you’re willing to bend over for the RIAA/MPAA and let your rights go down the river. Maybe Wolverine is not willing to listen to reason. But neither are you. And given the choice of two extremes, I’d rather be in his camp than yours. Is downloading copyrighted material wrong? Yes. Does it mean I cost the copyright owner money? Yes, if I download something that I’d have otherwise purchased to get. But put this wrong against what the RIAA/MPAA/their ilk want, to look over your shoulder at everything you download, whether copyrighted or not, just in case it is, and you get a nice police state where big brother (in this case corporations) are watching you. Maybe you don’t mind living in such a state, but I (and I’m sure many others) do. So while you’re standing on your high-horse, holier-than-thou pedestal, preaching at Wolverine, you might want to keep in mind that some of the people that have issues with P2P monitoring and the tactics of the media companies (and their hired thugs) might not only have them because they want free stuff. It’s a bigger issue than that. Copyright owners rights protect them, the copyright owners. The rights of the Individual protect EVERYONE, that’s why they should take precedence. When things like the Patriot Act went through congress in the wake of the terrorist bastards attack on the New York, the RIAA tried to glom their provisions onto this type of legislation, under the guise of fighting terrorism. Fortunately, they were caught in the act of this disgusting bit of opportunistic self-serving and their provisions were yanked. But this should give one some perspective into the character of the people behind these groups. Their ends do not justify their means. And it is because of shortsighted arguments (you sound like the kid who used to tell on the others in school) that these groups have gotten as far as they have. Where is the morality in buying the law? The one who has the most money gets his/her way? Why do you think so many have pushed for campaign reform? Maybe allowing corporations to give money to congressman isn’t such a good idea… Gee, do ya think maybe those corporations give money in hopes of getting something back? Like maybe a congressman who votes the way the corporate money wants them to? Huh, could that happen? No one is asking you to condone stealing, but another way has to be found. The RIAA/MPAA stance is just big money further eroding what rights you, the individual, have left. And you can argue their points for them, but they probably don’t need your help. But I’m sure they appreciate it. Maybe Congress should vote for their constituencies, that’s why they’re supposed to be in office. Maybe I could tell them this, but I don’t have the $100 per-plate fund-raising fee they want to have lobbyists (like the RIAA/MPAA) join them to discuss it over breakfast. But luckily, Hilary Rosen (or her replacement) and lifetime politician Jack Valenti (who has been hanging around Washington at least since Nixon) have the money (we gave it to them), so we’ll just trust them to have our best interests at heart. Valenti in particular once infamously likened the VCR/consumer to the Boston strangler/woman alone scenario. And now VCR/DVD makes up over half of Hollywood’s revenue. Hmmm. And this is the guy who is trying to shape the future of consumer choice. It’s all about control. They have it (or had it) and they want to maintain the status quo. P2P is a perceived threat, so they let their money persuade Congress to allow privacy rights to be trampled. And man, this post is way too long so I’m going to try and wrap it up. Especially since some may not like it, and for all I know, they might have repealed the Right of Free Speech by tagging the repeal onto the tail end of some legislation about Congress giving itself a pay raise and letting it pass into law by ignoring it, thereby not having gone on the Congressional record as having voted to give themselves a raise. Wow, can these people cover themselves or what? - And by the way, Alimoniumfood, your statement of “This is why alot of people caught do end up going to jail; because they cannot prove otherwise and cannot run away from the truth in the court room.” is all well and good, except that the United States, believe it or not, was founded on the principal of “Innocent until proven guilty”. The accused should not HAVE to prove otherwise or else go to jail. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. Maybe the Founding Fathers had the right idea in mind. Not that they’d recognize the country anymore. I don’t expect you to appreciate this right until it’s your ass that they want to send to jail, where you can meet your new boyfriend. Then you’ll be screaming for every right you can get. Again, this rant is not about condoning piracy; it’s about standing up for rights that are yours, and not letting corporations sell them out from under you. But it’s nice to know we have people such as yourself to point out how wrong downloading copyrighted material is, and how selfish all of us that do it are. Where will they house the millions of us with an illegal MP3 on our hard drives? When millions of people are breaking the law, maybe it’s time to start looking at whether it should be a law in the first place. And before you bother to say it, no, if you take that argument to it’s logical conclusion, I am not saying that if everyone decided to start stealing cars or assaulting people then these acts should not be considered criminal. Millions of people speed everyday, and they pay fines. But do those fines make the highways any safer? Or keep the offender from ever speeding again? Probably not. But they do make money for states, counties and townships. And maybe that’s the point of the ticket. Wolverine won’t see your point. But neither are you willing to see his. But Valenti, Rosen and company certainly like your sensible attitude. Now if only the rest of us would fall in line and start paying for all the content we have, even if we wouldn’t have bought it in the first place, if the only option was paying an illegal fixed-price for it. But the record companies wouldn’t do that to us. They’re as honest as the day is long. Too bad they don’t think the same about their customers. That’s you and me, by the way. Or we used to be. :c

Actually… the presumption of guilt is a foundation of all law, not a foundation of America. See: Presumption of Innocence in Medieval Canon Law [on google, a law website, or ask an info broker, but it’ll cost ya] Anyway… Forbes once said [and I paraphrase] “Maybe it’s not all bad that lots of us don’t feel so dedicated to our respective faiths that we’re willing to persecute those not sharing our brand of Enlightenment.” Ah… to be enlightened in such a way as to absolve oneself of criminal activity. Regardless of the idiocy of some people reacting to articles [some for no reason at all but to see their name up as ‘first’] my reaction is that anything that helps disable the DMCA is great. I doubt it will go anywhere… but its great all the same.

i’d like to see more communities take a stand against the DMCA like they have against the patriot act. of course, they take their stand, then stand around, but at least its something. im going to go back to eating my ‘freedom fries’. f***ing great way to show the french how displeased you are, huh? honestly. things like that are why i dont bother voting.

StandUp: wow, dat was long but to da point man. Wolverine and Alimoniumfood are entitled to their own opinions. Wolverine, while he’s young, his comments are often than not from a teenager (do u remember when u were a teenager, Alimoniumfood?) Give him time! Alimoniumfood: I don’t condone copying and downloading files from P2P, it’s wrong! but like StandUp said, da law is getting beyond piracy now and more about controlling individual privacy. Do u (Alimoniumfood & TheTarbaby) know wat it’s like when your life is controlled by the State. Try living in some Eastern or Communist countries for a while – I’m sure u may change your perspective quickly. The solution should be dat while copying file from P2P is illegal, the record labels should churn out more quality music and make their products more affordable. Of course, this would not entirely stop illegal copying, but most people might fork out da money to buy if they know that wat they r going to pay for is reasonable in both QUALITY and PRICE! So my comment to all CDFreaks members is: don’t argue about something that bigger than just illegal copying '“ cause is more than that! Also, don’t assume someone is stupid simply because they r younger or projecting teenager’s sentiments! Let he who has NEVER done or speak 'stupid" things in his life cast the first stone! I know I can’t…and so too most people! We are only humans! :7 CDFreaks Administrator: Could u please make the typing text box a bit bigger? Thanks.

Online Tracker, No offense, but I did not state that “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” is a precedent of American law. I stated that America was founded on this principle, which of course was pre-existing. And since you are obviously enlightened, please explain how you believe the media companies would have absolved themselves to their customers in the illegal proce-fixing scheme they were recently convicted of, had the courts not forced a monetary decision against them? I’m sure their executives are still losing sleep. Ah… to be enlightened in such a way as to absolve oneself of criminal activity. Please don’t forget to tell this to them as well.

blah, this isn’t the place for discussion like this. My comment was directed at pirates being able to blank out the moral angle of downloading music, movies, and software. I don’t expect media companies to be outside the arm of punishment, their only solution would be to lower prices. I’m assuming the ‘price fixing’ scheme you spoke about was the CD price fixing which was resolved at a whopping $20 refund to some 1 million people… big deal, thats not a fix, thats a band-aid. hmmm… is that a pun?

Yo!! Alimoniumfood, you waste your breath…remember wooferoon18 is, and I quote, as innocent as a 2yr old kidnapped child…endquote… do yourself a favour, engage in banter with someone more cerebral… wooferoons 15 minutes are fast running out…:7

its unfortunate sheriff but i’m afraid i have to agree with you there concerning the marvel character; i don’t know what causes people to lose common sense over something thats hitting them in the face again and again; must be somthing in his drinking water :8

Although my knowledge of copyright and copyright laws is not extensive, I’m glad I have Wolverine18 here to share his WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE in these posts. Not only are his arguments FOUNDED ON FACT, NON-BIASED, and INTERESTING, but his ELEGANT WRITING STYLE and ABILITY lend credence to the argument that he is, in fact, AN INTELLIGENT ENTITY. enough crap, Wolverine18, listen to what people have to say before shooting off at the mouth like an adolescent in the throes of a wet dream, and please try to remember that not everyone in this world is out to get you… especially none of the people who read the articles and posts that you DO seem to believe a little to fervently in. if you start writing posts with understanding and [GASP!] thought, i’m sure you won’t cop half the sh*t you currently do.