Legality inquiry

If I have a game…
the cd’s , the manual… right.

Let’s say the cd’s scratched pretty bad. Can I sell it with the working backup??

Or would that be Illegal?

Lacrymator

Wouldn’t know for sure, but if you sold the original and provide it with a working backup, don’t think that it will be a problem with Fair Use.

However, when you keep a working backup, that backup would become illegal…

Thanks…

Lacrymator

useally with software such as a game your paying for a license to permit you to install and run the software, the media it is installed on is yours to do with as you wish. you can sell on the media but if the buyer wants to access the software he has to pay a fee to the license holder, the rules for this and freeware and shareware have different licensing regs according to the country they were copyrighted/desighed/printed etc.
now here comes the gray area , you have already paid the license fee and have made a backup. in some countrys you can do this, in some you cant but now you sell on the original media under some laws you have now made a illegal copy because you have sold on the original. but have you? because you have already paid for the license and have only sold the media is it stored on and it is up to the new owner of the media if he wants to access the soft…

and so on and so on…
anyway its a mess and you could add loads of other manufactored goods but what i would do is sell it on and keep my back up and let someone else worry about the licensing laws.

a bit off topic;

contact the firm who released the software. Sometimes they send you a new copy when you have the serial and so on for a bit of money.