Legal?

vbimport

k… this definitely falls under ‘stupid questions’ but I really wanna know… I have some questions about the gray areas of music/burning/downloading. It’s probably just easier to list them…

1. My cousin has a CD I really like (she bought it at a store, not burned) and she wanted to make me a copy but I told her it wasn’t legal so she didn’t do even though she claims it’s perfectly legal if you copy a CD you buy legal from a store if you want to give it to a friend or family. Is that true?

2. Kind of the same question as the first one… If family members have store bought, legal CD’s can you copy them for personal use?

3. I pretty sure this is illegal but just to make sure so I don’t do it… Can you check out CD’s from a public library and copy them for personal use or for family/friends?

Somebody told me that anything is illegal if it takes profit or money from the aritist or recording company. Soooo… I dunno… thanx a lot for any help you can give!!! :bow:

I’m assuming you live in the USA. If that’s the case then it’s NOT legal to make a copy for “friends”. For family… see the next question.

1. Kind of the same question as the first one… If family members have store bought, legal CD’s can you copy them for personal use?

If you are cohabitating with someone and make a copy of something that, say, your older brother has and really likes but won’t let you listen to because he’s afraid that you’ll scratch it up… that’s legal. (Much as the record companies would like you to think otherwise!)

However, a random family member such as a cousin who could potentially live in a different town or state… sorry but no, not legal.

1. I pretty sure this is illegal but just to make sure so I don’t do it… Can you check out CD’s from a public library and copy them for personal use or for family/friends?

DEFINITELY illegal.

Thanx!!! That really helps!!! Thanx again!!!

And if you are not in the US, check out this site:
http://www.euro-copyrights.org/