Legal question about CD copying

I have a few computer games on 4 or 5 cd’s. It annoys me to waste space on the shelf with so many cd’s, when they could just as easily fit on one dvd. So my question is: is it legal to make a copy, and then destroy the original?

[QUOTE=60;2211081]I have a few computer games on 4 or 5 cd’s. It annoys me to waste space on the shelf with so many cd’s, when they could just as easily fit on one dvd. So my question is: is it legal to make a copy, and then destroy the original?[/QUOTE]

That depends on the age of the games? The newer the games the more protection it has so if it a newer games you won’t be able to fit them onto a single dvd sorry to say. Since the protections makes it impossible to backup your games. This is all cause the protection those software game companies installed onto the game as copyright protection. Some of the games will require you to have the cd/dvd in the drive otherwise you won’t be able to play the game. But since you have only a few games that should be the least of your worries. What you should be worry is if they still load and play properly.

Argueably yes, but a burned disc will not have the longevity of a pressed disc.

If you don’t like having them on the shelf put them somewhere else.

intentionally destroying an original would be an act of foolishness.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2211098]Argueably yes, but a burned disc will not have the longevity of a pressed disc.

If you don’t like having them on the shelf put them somewhere else.

intentionally destroying an original would be an act of foolishness.

AD[/QUOTE]

The point is, I don’t really have somewhere else to put them. I travel frequently, and don’t maintain a permanent place of residence, and it’s somewhat inconvenient to have lots of stuff to haul around.

So, what kind of longevity can I expect from a burned disc?

Largely dependent on storage conditions

Heat or moisture are bad

I’m not being sarchastic when I say “Keep them in a cool dry place”
(though I could be acused of speaking with song titles)

How long also depends on the quality of the disc onto which they are recorded.

Do you have any friends/family that would hang onto the originals for you?