Legal Downloading

vbimport

Hi!!

I have provided some questions here., please help… :confused:
How do I know that I am downloading music legally? What is the difference between a legal and an illegal download?
What is the “fair use doctrine” means? When I upload CDs that I have purchased onto the Internet, am I protected under fair use? What about when I download music from CDs I’ve already bought, is that legal?

Thanks in advance… :slight_smile:

The laws differ depending on what country you live in. If you are downloading copyrighted materials in Canada for instance, you are not in any danger. However, in the US you are. Fair use is an extremely gray area as you can read here. Here is another link that may be of interest as well. You are also encouraged to visit our sister site Euro-Copyrights.

I can tell you one thing, someone correct me if I am wrong, but there is no way fair rights will “protect you” if you upload copyrighted materials without prior consent from the copyright holder, anywhere in the world, that I am aware of.

No it is not legal to download copyrighted music even if you own it already in the US. Again, it all depends where you live.

I thought these were awfully naive questions, but I was at a work and in a hurry. Then I realised that the Sig and the nym were too doubtful to suit my taste. :frowning: I think we have a guy pluggin away at legal forums to troll for business for his practice. :Z

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134725
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134726