Legal Burning Thoughts

vbimport

An interesting set of points however, when the first CD burners were made there was a giant fuss about copyright infringement for all and sundry, mainly at that time was the practice of copying music for free where hard working musicians were losing revenue for sales they were not getting.
DVD’s is no different, the machines are made for one purpose, and that is against the law no matter what.
If there was to be no copying of either music, games, O/S’s or DVD’s the hardware would not be made available to do it.
There is a more than giant set of double standards for any one person to gripe over what is all illegal when it comes to the copying of what was made by someone else.
Something which is missed in this rather large glass house is what this web site is for, or does no person see that it’s meant to help those which are all in essence breaking the law in some form or another.
This web site is no different to any game site showing hacks and cracks, cheats etc for games, no difference at all, and having been a once avid online game player where the cheaters ruined virtually all the games available, this has not changed, nor will it ever.
Chill out people and smell the hypocorism of it all, and stop throwing stones in this specifically designed glass house.
CD burning was meant for backing up of personal data, but the definition of “personal data” has long since been so convoluted and twisted to the point of where one starts to break the law has grown so wide there is no way it will ever stop, it will only become simpler, cheaper and faster to copy anything, all of which is illegal.
I dare to say that there would not be one single person that has visited this site, be they a member or otherwise that has not or is not currently breaking the law via copyright infringement in some way.
Chill. :bow: :cop:

Digisol…I can understand where you’re coming from with your Personal comments,but
Rules are Rules and therefore should be respected.

The forum rules are there for a reason. Adherance to and enforcement of them is what permits the site to remain open. :iagree: :cop:

[If you are not prepared to abide by the rules that you agreed to when you joined the forum, feel free to go elsewhere.]

No arguement, sure it is true that without rules and laws there is just anarchy, but the point remains, the manufacture of equipment made to break the law makes a total ass of the copyright and other laws.

In a similar manner where public cars are now made to exceed 300 kmph, perhaps I have missed the sign that allows anymore than 120 kmph, an interesting analogy.

In theory our burners are purchased to backup our data and other personal pre purchased legal software, not to remove copyright from DVD’s put there for a reason, and that’s all fine and dandy in a perfect world, but to beleive that we all live in the land of utopia is to be both blind and totally ignorant.

Sorry but by it’s very nature this and many other similar web sites contain so many hacks, cracks and other tricks disguised as all and sundry to avoid the very copyright put into the original software / movies to stop them from being copied.

Poor old Bill has to make those $1,000,000’s tick along every hour, poor bugger can’t afford the fuel for his Rolls Royce, I need a good cry now.

To beleive otherwise is just not possible, to coin a simple phrase, “it’s as visible as a pair of dogs testicals”

I dare anyone to honestly say their burners have never been used for anything but burning personal data, and in this world anyone saying otherwise is either an exceptionally honest person and also a member of this site, a fool or a total liar, sorry gentlemen, I’m only stating the obvious facts that all can see, nothing was meant to cause a ripple in anyones quiet and totally legal burning practices by backing up our personal data, etc, that we all adhere to so strictly, now I’m sure we all do the right thing and no one would knowingly break the law, now would they, hmmm ? :wink:

Chill, look around at the birds and animals, kiss your wife / lover, pat the dog, wake up to the next sunrise and smell the fresh ocean breeze and thank god your alive, having just had open heart surgery, trust me, the simple things are normally missed, it’s all good, burn away those bits of legal data. :wink:

Well then should the peer to peer section not be closed as the discussions in there break this rule:
“# Requesting for or posting of serial numbers, direct links to cracks or any other information that violates copyright laws or any other laws protecting intellectual property”

“but the point remains, the manufacture of equipment made to break the law makes a total ass of the copyright and other laws.”

Again a common misconception, the equipment is legal and made for legal use, if you or I choose to use it to break the law that is our choice and we must be willing to accept the consequences of our actions. an example, ot to do with PCs, screw drivers are legal and designed for legal use, but sya I go out and stab osomeone with it or use it to break into someones house. Should the manufacturer be held responsible for that.

“There is a more than giant set of double standards for any one person to gripe over what is all illegal when it comes to the copying of what was made by someone else.”

Nope it is called a discussion, when someone states that something is legal in one country when it is not then it is right that someone corrects the misinfomation. As I said before if we choose not to follow the law then we must accept the consequences of ouur actions. It is better to do this as aninformed choice as oppoosed to in ignorance, as that is no defence in the law.

digi has a point, the advice in a number of the sections is for illegal activities in a number of countries, backing up of games and dvds for example is illegal in the UK, and I just found out in Australia, too and most probably in a number of other countries too and therefore also breaks the rule I quoted earlier. The international nature of this board makes it impossible to enforce the rules to full effect.

While thier are probably plenty of people here that bend or break the law, I think thier are also plenty that do not. Thier are plenty of legitamate uses for the things discussed here. One of the bigest things discussed here that is legal in some countries and ilegal in others (though quite moral in my mind) is backing up dvd movies. You might think to yourself, how many of these people are actually buying movies and backing them up (and how many are renting, trading, borrowing and copying)? I think that thier are plenty of people that are actually, really backing up movies they bought. Dvd is the bigest scam to hit the market. When music cd’s hit the market they said that they were more expensive to produce and jacked the price way up over a tape. It may have been true at first but it certainlly is not now. They proceeded to then raise the price of tapes, closer to what cd’s cost. Cd’s are still more though. Are you telling me it still cost that much more to produce a cd than a tape? We know the mentality of the record companies (just look at music download prices which are juat about pure profit).
Same goes for dvd. Are you telling me that it costs 1.5 to 2 times as much to produce a dvd as it does a video tape (because in some cases they cost that much more over the cost of the video tape version).
Here is the best part of the scam. The durability of cd/dvd. Give a few dvd’s and a few video tapes to one of your children and see which lasts longer. A video tape isn’t going to refuse to play the whole movie because it has a scratch on it. It doesn’t really mater if you have kids though, dvd/cd’s are not that tough. It can be a pretty expensive investment for movies, music, console games and software. Thier is a huge market for disk repair/polish kits and thier would be an even biger market if more of them worked worth a crap. The newest technology in media is less durable that older technology and the media companies love it because you have to replace your media more often due to damage which means more profit for them.
As far as I am concerned, if you bought music, movies or software, you are paying for the right to use them because the actual disks don’t cost but a small fraction of what they sell for. Backups are about the most legitamate thing their is as far as I am concerned (legal or not depending on where you, it’s still moral). We have the right to protect our investment and that is one of the bigest things this site is about.
Some software companies will replace damaged disks pretty cheap, while others will gouge you a little. Why dont they do this for dvd’s and cd’s? Why can you not exchange a damaged original for a low cost replacment disk? You paid the high cost for the content, not the disk right? Many movie companies do this for rental companies (that would probably never have switched from renting tapes to renting dvd’s on a mass scale). They don’t do it for the public because that is the scam. they know that the more easilly damaged the media is, the more profit thier is when people have to replace thier media.
Backing up is about the most legitamate thing their is as far as I am concerned.
Beyond that, thier are many other legal things discussed here ranging from burning data to working with home moves and producing your own dvd’s etc.
Thier is a very broad spectrum of legal, legitamate, and or moral activities discussed here. Dvd is not just for data and thier is no reason it should be.
Thats just my opinion.

Are you telling me that it costs 1.5 to 2 times as much to produce a dvd as it does a video tape (because in some cases they cost that much more over the cost of the video tape version).

How many tapes do you have to buy to get both the fullscreen and widescreen version of the same movie? How about the Spanish and French language version? Dolby 5.1 and DTS? How about the extras? 480p?

To say that DVD’s are overpriced seems a bit of a stretch. Try watching a VHS tape on a nice home theater and then watch the DVD version. Not even close. The DVD is much better. The extra $10 is more than worth it (IMHO).

Have never lost a CD/DVD due to scratched media. It is much cheaper to fabricate CDs/DVDs. If these discs are priced at $5 each, then the incentive for piracy would go away. Personally, I would NEVER purchase a disc if I cannot backup the contents. It’s too easy to scratch a disc.

You make some good points and in general I agree. Thier was an article (I think it was in the news here) about how dvd sales are growing more than cd sales because you get a lot more out of a dvd for about the same money). Why buy a cd when you can get just as much music plus videos plus extras on a music video dvd (just to play devils advocate, not all disks include this stuff and sometime only have a little bit of crappy extras if any).
My point was that disks are a more desirable format for the media companies because it is much more easilly damaged. The actual materials that you get are not worth more than a dollar at best. The rest of the money you are paying for content. With dvd, you are more liklly to have to pay for that content again over tape due to damage if you don’t backup. I still have vhs tapes from when I was a young child when vhs first became avalable and really crappy vcr’s cost 1000-2000$. Movies were more like 60$ or more. The quality has deteriorated (and most of the stuff I bought way back then has been lost) but I still have a few and they play. I doubt that the average dvd would fair so well after so long (especially considering the treatment some of those tape have gotten over the years). Backups also help prevent loss too though. If your originals are packed away safe, it’s not such a big deal if you lost the copy when you moved or something. It would be cool if they would do it like some software companies do it. You buy it, you register it, you now own personal use rights to the content. You loose or damage your original, they sell you another one much cheaper than the original cost because you have already paid for the content. I seriouslly doubt that would ever happen though because they know that it would cost a lot of profit. You are right that the content on a dvd is often a good deal for the cost but considering what a small library of movies costs (a few thousand dollars over a few years for a couple of hundred movies), I’ll gladly spend 100$ on disks to back it up. The bulk of the money was paid for the content so I’m going to try to protect my investment.
One other point (not nessasarilly trying to argue with you, just pointing out one of the many aspects of this discussion), I don’t think that dvd’s (or video tapes) are so cheap by choice. It wasn’t too long ago that movies were a lot more expensive. A few companies started dropping prices and of course thier sales went up and others went down (If I recall right, warner brothers was one of the first to drop prices). Many companies resisted for quite a while, keeping movies at the 40-60$ range (for vhs). I think the low prices are more due to competition between the movie studios rather than a desire to provide a beter value to the coustomer. You have to remember, these are the same people that are trying to get parents to turn in their children and children to turn in thier parents (breaking up familys as far as I’m concerned) to protect thier profits. It wouldn’t be fair to say all media companies are this way but many are. Someone had to be the first to drop prices. Maybe they did it to try to improve sales (a very smart approach), maybe they actually did it to provide a beter value to the customer (maybe both), but plenty of media companies resisted the dropping prices. As it is now, you are right, a dvd is a very good value, but still an investment I would want to protect.

Digisol,

A notable, but modest try. The idea to smartly mix the hypocracy of manufacturers (burners, media, etc.) with the activity of CDF members is genuine, but transparent in its primitive nature and hollow as a modus operandi.

I would suggest looking at the left side of the screen any time before you use your keyboard, you might notice that being inside the circle (as a member), you, in your own reserved, “pardonnez-mois” manner, try to spit on yourself as well.

Chill, wash you face and decide why do you visit this “website” as you call it.

Nota bene: Philambers plastic response.

Yo-

Don’t you just love it when they come in and try to preach to the choir??

I - for one - am not going to rise to this occasion and justify the existance of a $hit disturber-

Mike

GLC - “i tried to see things from his point of view, but i couldnt fit my head up his arsehole too”

Here you go digi

The plastic nature of my response was because this thread has been split from this one (which, of course, is a thread explicitly informing new forum members that warez are not permitted on this forum).

Had the thread began as a somewhat philosophical discussion, my response, if any, would have been somewhat different.

if it waS hurting sooooo much the movie industry, tom cruise and his fellow friends wouldn’t be paid 20 M US$ per movie.

com’on, this industry is a joke…

THIS IS MY FIRST POST…TODAY IS A WONDERFUL DAY… :bow:

These quoted sentences speak for themselves:

1. “…This web site is no different to any game site showing hacks and cracks, cheats etc for games, no difference at all, and having been a once avid online game player where the cheaters ruined virtually all the games available, this has not changed, nor will it ever…”

2. “…I dare to say that there would not be one single person that has visited this site, be they a member or otherwise that has not or is not currently breaking the law via copyright infringement in some way…”

3. “…Sorry but by it’s very nature this and many other similar web sites contain so many hacks, cracks and other tricks disguised as all and sundry to avoid the very copyright put into the original software / movies to stop them from being copied…”

4. “…I dare anyone to honestly say their burners have never been used for anything but burning personal data, and in this world anyone saying otherwise is either an exceptionally honest person and also a member of this site, a fool or a total liar, sorry gentlemen…”

And here comes my favorite:

“…Chill, look around at the birds and animals, kiss your wife / lover, pat the dog, wake up to the next sunrise and smell the fresh ocean breeze and thank god your alive, having just had open heart surgery, trust me, the simple things are normally missed, it’s all good, burn away those bits of legal data…”

And I even could see as the grey-haired wisest man of all times, visiting such a “devilish website”, with trembling hands pats the shoulder of the poor guys in pulgatory of burners and finally exempting them from the sin with tired, but redeeming smile.
Amazing …

I could up until about 2 months ago. I had a DVD burner which I had only used to backup a lot of photos and a lot of the wenches uni work.
I now back-up my movies as the the kids keep taking the things to watch and they either come back scratched (but playable) or go missing completely.

As far as I know though, copying movies that you own is ok anyway??

Mp3s well that’s a different matter :wink: but haven’t done that for a year or more. Prices have come down and I have a bit more money. I don’t mind paying £10 for a CD but anymore feels like it’s too expensive and copying seems well “not so bad”.

I’d much rather have an original than a copy even though the quality is the same. If the prices were more realistic (huge profit margins in the UK) then piracy would be much less of a problem.
I’d say most of the dodgy discs bought are of films/music that you’d never want at full price anyway. ie that album you’d like to listen to, but it’s not really your taste.

i wish a mod would close this thread…it can only lead to bad places.