Ledfix available for Rebadged drives?

vbimport

Hi there. Okay… I have an hp dvd530i dvd writer drive (which is a rebadged SOHW-832S, I believe). Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to possibly get the red-orange-green LED from the original firmware. I have the latest firmware for the 832S (VSOG) as well as the firmware backed up from the dvd530i (VPS8) and i want to retain the dvd530i’s name in the BIOS and Windows so I don’t get it confused with my wonderful LTR-52327S (which I have done during flashing).

Any help or response is appreciated.

if you post the exact drive name as it’s there in device manager, i will edit it for you.

Device manager and BIOS report it as:
HP DVD Writer 530r

A patched Lite-On f/w would be great; it can also maintain higher speeds yet remain stable (i.e. only orange light is at speed-shift–up to 6x-8x @ VS0G from about 2x-4x @ hp VPS8 firmware using DVD-R 8x media) and generally seems to agree with the drive more.

Many thanks! (this forum rocks!)

the CG5G flasher for HP DVD Writer 530r: http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VE3XG5VOUV0O1A335B383NB5X

please post if there’s an error in the drive name string.

It’s ALMOST perfect…but not quite. the device ID string comes up as
HP DVD W RITER 530r
with a space in the “writer” part in device manager and the flash itself… clarification: the “w_riter” means that no hp-branded OEM software can detect it (reporting that “No HP drives were detected on your system”).

thanks for the attempt and all of your help.

sorry, i don’t know why it reports the drivename string wrong, can’t fix it…

@wallace0134
Send me your backup of the HP firmware and I’ll see what I can do about creating the firmware for you. You’ll find my contact details here.

FYI, I think there needs to be a double space after the HP DVD to make 8 characters total for the name.

HP DVD  WRITER 530r
LITE-ON DVDRW

It’s also important that the ID appears in the second field above the visible ID with the endian changed. :wink:

i tried all possibilities, but it won’t display the drivename correctly…
must have a look at the HP bin firmware.

@C0deKing: The backup of hp’s original firmware should be in your mailbox as I type; if not, please don’t hesitate to respond.

@chok0: I’ll gladly e-mail you the backup of the firmware so you can have a go at it, as well. What’s your e-mail address?

edit: wanted to edit your names properly & re-did some of the sentence structure.

edit 2: @chok0: My e-mail is the same as my member name, fyi, @hotmail.com .

edit 3: I missed the O in chok0’s member name after the 1st and 2nd edits & replaced the 2nd edit. That’s all.

here’s the fixed ID version: http://rapidshare.de/files/1308532/HP.CG5G.rar.html

edit: chok"0" <- last char is a zero…

^^^ sorry about that. i typed it properly after the 2nd edit, tho (got it right the 2nd time, heh). will try immediately.o and the fimmware is in mail in +/- 10 minutes if ya still want to inspect it.

?? i already posted a fixed version…

o ok sry. will halt email. a little bit overzealous. hehe will report on updated version in a few (its d/ling now)

edit:the name comes out perfectly now! this is pre-reboot, but the hp software (bitsetting utility) didnt detect it; dont know about Simple Backup. It may be a firmware revision thing (didnt think hp was iffy like that). Still, I am happy because i have the hp name AND the lite-on quality. Thank you guys SOOOOO much (gives both C0deKing and chok0 10000000 invisible “awesome people” points which can be redeemed…err…well nvm), but thank you anyway. I feel very welcomed into this forum and look forward to spending a lot of time on here.

there’s no need for the booktype utility. i’ve enabled auto-bitsetting (to DVD-ROM) in this firmware.

ah. Okay. Thanks again. (though the device name in my computer’s BIOS is something to the tune of HP DVD Writer 5r3 0 :confused: everything else is reporting it under the Windows name HP DVD Writer 530r {including the one program that reported, along with the BIOS, that the drive was a Writer 530r when it was listed in Windows and Windows-based programs as a W RITER 530r}…but I am NOT complaining.) If you want to, I would be glad to post pics of what I am talking about. By now, though, this might not appear so much as a challenge as it might an annoyance. I really appreciate all of your work and your perseverance to help me have my cake & eat it, too. :bow:

BTW: I actually reach 8x when using Nero DVD Speed and DVD-CD Speed with this new firmware, which is a great plus! (Even after I patched the hp and Lite-On firmware on my own it refused to make it up to 8x using the same media.) Read: Eating my cake, too. :slight_smile:

can you send me the real HP firmware,

so i can see where’s the problem and finally fix the problem…

chok0: It should be at you mailbox by now.

i can’t fix it. the HP.bin seems to be scrambled?! i can’t find the drivename string in it. there are the media tables, but all other info in it seems like some custom hp thingy…

now, only C0deKing can do this.

Darn…that stinks :frowning: . Just goes to show you: hp is NOT Sony. Not only did they try to best the Sony drive that the 832S is based on, they also wanted to keep their drive OUT of the modding community. I had no idea that a firmware extracted could be scrambled…guessing that it has some type of algorithm or something that, when extracted, scrambles it; maybe the firmware itself has instructions/algorithms for the drive to help it decode the scrambled part of the firmware that deals with the nameing…or maybe they wanted to make sure that the name couldn’t be changed so that it would fit everything? Now I’m trying to give hp the benefit of the doubt here…but I thoroughly appreciate your help. I just hope that C0deKing gets a bit of time in his busy (!) schedule to see what he can do. :bigsmile:
:slight_smile: :iagree: Thanks again chok0. :iagree: :slight_smile:

C0deKing will surely solve this string problem.

i don’t think that the extracted firmware is scrambled, but it must be something that hides some data, but not the media tables. i’ve never seen anything like this before. compared to other firmwares this looks really messed up.