Learning how to make quality disks

vbimport

Hi!

I am here to learn about how I can make quality DVD burns that will last for as long as possible. They will hold my archives (RAW photographs and projects in photo-montage) which are very important to me.

I have choosen to go with DVDs instead of CDs because they can hold much more data. I am hearing that DVDs and CDs have the same longevity. This means that CDs have no real advantage over DVDs for the kind of use that I want them. Please correct me if I am wrong with this.

I have a small experience with CD and DVD writing. I have writen a moderate number of CDs and DVDs, let’s say 700-1000 disks in total. I got my first CD-RW in 2002, a Plextor 24/12/10. I got my first DVD+/-RW in 2005, a Nec ND-3520A, which I still use.

I am sensing some problems with my current burner (for example I can’t burn CDs) so I am in the process of buying a new one and at the same time re-fresh my collection of disks: throw away some old junk, make triple-copies of the good ones, and so on.

I know that I need to make the right combination: burner, media, and write-speed. For now, I just make sure I have Tayio Yuden disks (or anything “Made in Japan”) and I always write them at half of the maximum speed (if the disks are 16x, I write them at 8x).

There are many FAQs, may guides, and thousands of posts in this forum! And I am a bit lost. I don’t know where I should start reading. So I am posting here for some guidance. Give me some links that are must-know, that anyone should know about them.

By the way, here is a few writers that I liked:

If you can, tell me what you think of them, although I will probably grab some opinions at the Pioneer and NEC-Optiarc forums.

And… well… It’s good to be here :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the forums. Most of what you want to know can be found by looking at some of the stickied threads in the forums. For example, the [B]Media FAQ[/B] in the Blank Media forum will tell you a great deal about dvd burns, media, what makes a “good” burn, etc. This thread is a few years old now, but still a good introduction. The favorite brand and media code threads are brand new and should give you some solid leads on what media to buy.

Made in Japan used to be a good guide. Not so much anymore. Most people don’t like the 16x Taiyo Yuden as well as the Taiwanese made Verbatim 16x disks. The older style 8x +R Taiyo Yuden are still held in high esteem however, and are some of my favorite blank disks.

Burning at half speed is generally ok, there are some exceptions. Many burn the 16x Verbatims at 12x for example, and the 8x +R TY is fine at its rated speed.

Longevity of burns is a common theme for posts around here. No one has a definitive answer on how long dvds will last though.
The best strategy is to use a combination of known good media. Look at this discussion: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/what-combination-taiyo-yuden-verbatim-discs-would-best-dual-backup-strategy-244988/

All of the drives you have picked are considered good ones, though they are all SATA interface drives. Which motherboard do you have in your computer now? Some older boards have SATA controllers built in that are not particularly compatible with SATA optical drives. If you want a direct replacement for your 3520, you might want to use a new drive that uses the older IDE/PATA interface, like the Pioneer 115. It is basically the same drive as the 215, just with the older style connector.

Thanks!

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 which has 8 SATA ports and an IDE one. Right now I have pluged in my old DVD-ROM and DVD-REC on the IDE port.

Frankly, I just wanted to go with the Sata port because it createss less cable-clutter inside my box. SATA can really make a difference for an optical drive? My perception is that it will not.

I don’t know well a SATA DVD-ROM and DVD-REC will do with the OSes that I currently use (WinXP SP2 32-bit, Linux 2.6.24.5-smp) and the OSes I want to try because of my 4GB of RAM (WinXP 64-bit, Win2003 32-bit). But I can try finding these answers at that apropriate sections of the forum.

Hi and Welcome![quote=jsmith6;2089628]
I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 which has 8 SATA ports and an IDE one. Right now I have pluged in my old DVD-ROM and DVD-REC on the IDE port.[/quote]Go for Sata with that mainboard.

SATA can really make a difference for an optical drive? My perception is that it will not.
It’s the controller, that matters. Intel Sata controllers are good with Sata optical drives, especially if they are configured as “IDE”.
The Pata (“IDE”) controller on your board is an additional controller with Jmicron chipset. This is known for often causing trouble with DVD burners.

I don’t know well a SATA DVD-ROM and DVD-REC will do with the OSes that I currently use (WinXP SP2 32-bit, Linux 2.6.24.5-smp) and the OSes I want to try because of my 4GB of RAM (WinXP 64-bit, Win2003 32-bit). But I can try finding these answers at that apropriate sections of the forum.
No problem if there are working drivers for your controllers and your operating systems.

About the burners: The Pioneer and the Nec are both a good choice. The Samsung 203B is obsolete and has been replaced by the 203D, which is a different drive. (The successor of the Pioneer x15 series is also available now btw.)

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2089649]The Pioneer and the Nec are both a good choice. The Samsung 203B is obsolete and has been replaced by the 203D, which is a different drive. (The successor of the Pioneer x15 series is also available now btw.)[/QUOTE]

I am limited to my local physical market because I don’t shop online. This means that If I can’t get the Pioneer or the Nec I will have to settle for the Samsung 203B or a newer model, S223F.

You said that it is obsolete. Does this mean that it lacks some features in comparison with the other two? Or that it has been withdrawn from the market because the new model (203D) is here?

Hi,[quote=jsmith6;2090236]I am limited to my local physical market because I don’t shop online. This means that If I can’t get the Pioneer or the Nec I will have to settle for the Samsung 203B or a newer model, S223F.[/quote]You might have a look then in our Samsung DVD burner forum. :slight_smile:

You said that it is obsolete. Does this mean that it lacks some features in comparison with the other two? Or that it has been withdrawn from the market because the new model (203D) is here?
Samsung just decided to throw a newer drive on the market (perhaps since it was cheaper to produce) and stopped the production of the 203B. And since the new 22x drives are now available, the 203D will be discontinued also.

Michael

I managed to get a Nec AD-7203S but I am bit worried because it’s made in China. Ok, it is time to get off this thread, I have made a post at the apropriate section :slight_smile:

Thanks.