Learning how to convert downloaded movies to play on my dvd player

I actually don’t own any Sony products. Maybe that’s why I haven’t had the playing problem. I haven’t ever used any Sony blank discs of any kind.
I mostly use Verbatim but I have used some store brands like Office Depot.
When I temporarily got infested with the Sony rootkit .I was making a backup of an old commercial Sony CD. I forgot to enable AnyDVD before loading this CD. I almost never do that but messed up that time. AnyDVD will stop the Sony rootkit cold. I’ve tested with the offending CD & no problem. I sure haven’t tested this CD without AnyDVD enabled & I don’t intend to.
So I know Sony rootkit can strike on even a not too old system.

That’s interesting and good to know that AnyDVD can find it. Most programs miss it. I do use DVD43 for CSS removal. It sits there and removes the copy protection anytime a disk is downloaded. If you want to see more Sony complaints about their protection program go to this site. It’s good and there’s some Sony reps talking about this war of theirs. Basically, they blew it and it’s been a pr nightmare for them. I support their wanting to stop piracy but not when a person spends hundreds on a player and it won’t work to even play Sony made original movies! They went to far. Check this out:

If you have used any blank Sony cds or dvds in the past, there’s a real good chance you have this antipiracy rootkit on your computer. It’s not easy to find, most antivirus programs can’t see it. As for their personal antipiracy war,

This is unsubstantiated, and simply [B]not[/B] possible. Period.

I’ve used Sony brand dvds, with NO playback issues. Sony brand dvd players play burned dvds with NO problems if the dvds in question were made properly and burned well.

Sony brand blu ray players are some of the best for playing back burned blu ray movies, and commercial blu ray disks have some of the toughest antipiracy measures ever seen. Sony’s support for AVCHD makes their players a good choice for anyone who wishes to playback blu ray burned to single or double layer dvds. All blu ray players playback burned BD-R and BD-RE disks well, so it is natural that the Sony players do this also. If Sony were so adamant about fighting piracy through technological means in their players, none of this would be so.

Its hard to persuade against irrationally held beliefs, but I’ve done what I can here.

Kerry, Robspace1 must be right , Glenn Beck said so…

lol-all you have done since I first responded with proof of this rootkit is deny it even exists. You started by saying Sony never had such a thing installed on their disks. Then when I showed you the actual documentation and their own admission that they did use this to try to stop piracy, you play it down.
Then I showed you where they have been caught and fined millions of dollars for using this illegal virus and you still try to tell people that Sony is a good company? Would you say that BP is also a good company? One that can be trusted? When these big outfits are caught lying and cheating the public, they need to be exposed,. In Sony’s case they have continued to ignore the consumer and go ahead with their illegal rootkits and other antipiracy software in their attempt to stop it.

No, I won’t buy anything Sony. Why would I? They like to infect my computer,just like your other poster just stated. She was able to find the Sony rootkit on her hard drive and remove it. How many other people out there have also used Sony cds and dvds also have this hidden virus, thanks to Sony? Alot, thats how many.
The disks they infected were produced for alot longer then they admitted to. I bought my bad Sony bundle just 2 years ago and had to throw it all away. Not one good blank on the whole stack was any good. So, I’m real glad that Microsoft has a free scan and removal for this now available. I’m scanning for it again, right now, using the Malicious Software Removal program. It can now find it and anyone that uses/used Sony blanks should do a scan for this virus.

Jethro,
Glenn Beck’s an idiot. I’m not.

[QUOTE=Robspace1;2521855]She was able to find the Sony rootkit on her hard drive and remove it. [/QUOTE]
If you mean me that would definately be [B]HE[/B] I just checked & I haven’t lost anything.
Honest mistake some think that cholla is the femine form of chollo . In Spanish they are correct. Some of the time as it also means head.
However my user name was simply taken from the cholla cactus & is pronounced choy ya .

You started by saying Sony never had such a thing installed on their disks.

^ Your statement is a flat lie. I never said Sony never installed rootkits…if you look at my first reply to you, you’ll see I was talking about their blank media.
Quoting myself: [I]Sony branded blank media does not, and cannot have copy protection of any kind.[/I]

This thread has been hijacked long enough with your misinformation. We’re done.

Sorry, it was just a guess.Pretty tricky name actually. That’s the reason I put my real name in my username. Makes it alittle easier to figure the gender.
Anyway, I’m currently scanning for rootkit using the Windows program. I may still have one lurking on the hd.

Robspace1, the Sony rootkit on Audio CDs is (or was) real.

There are some anti-copying techniques used on many DVD Video discs these days, but if your copying program can successfully defeat those techniques, the copied disc will play as well in Sony DVD players as in any other DVD player, provided the burn quality is not too bad.

Your other opinions, however, are not based in fact, and your repeated statements will not turn those opinions into facts.

You are on a crusade against Sony, but I decline the offer to participate. :wink:

Dear Kerry,
I never lied about anything, you did ,when you said Sony never installed any copy protection. (Your words)
I AM talking about BLANK media being infected, not their movies-the blanks! Although their own movies stopped playing in their own players also.( Click the link I posted).
This infection, going all the way back to 2005 was about blank cds not loaded ones. Have you read anything I posted from all the other sources? I said I bought blank cds from Target that were all bad and thrown out. The company admitted in 05’ to putting the virus on BLANKS.

And, their players are also, in most cases, not able to play any burned media. They reject burned disks… I hope some folks get it, I’m sure some do. All this information is on record and not my opinion, but the facts as they are. They were found guilty and payed millions for this fraud and deception. It’s public record. Google-it really does work!

DM,
of course the rootkit is real. Microsoft had to update their antivirus software to go after this thing and it still exists. Sony has a war going and I won’t play it. I already let them steal my money for a brand new player that would not play most burned dvds and their blank media which was infected. It was then and may still be
. I think it is, and I don’t need to buy it again to find out. You know what they say, once bitten twice shy
. I don’t base my information on any opinions but on the facts that are already out there about their campaign on piracy.They want to shut it down. But, by doing this, they are losing alot of customers.
More people complain about Sony not playing their burned dvds then any other dvd players out there. Is this due to consumer error? Don’t think so. I’m what you’d call a power burner. I do it alot. I know what works and why and I am able to successfully burn over 90% of all the dvds I dl, and I also know, from research, why Sony won’t. The bottom line is the bottom-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kerry, this Robspace1 persona should be non grata.

He is one of those who experiments with forums, wants to generate dispute, intends to be in the middle of attention.

Let him play with his toy… on his own.

lllluminatus,
I’m real sorry if you don’t like what I’m saying here, but, I don’t really see where I’ve crossed any lines or broken any rules. I haven’t offended anyone or used vulgarity so I would say your suggestion is a little premature. All I’ve done is lay out the facts.
They are not my opinions at all, but a matter of record. I’m not here to argue, I don’t do that. And I have no axe to grind with Sony. I used to love their products. But, not when I can’t trust them and when they infected my system, I lost trust, simple as that.
The original poster wanted to know why his or her Sony player wouldn’t play burned dvds. Now, if this is an open forum, then anyone can answer the question right? Well, that’s what I just did and if anyone wants to use it, fine. I’m not selling anything, just trying to help another downloader out. Nothing more.

I thought I would try to explain the problem I had better.
Go to this link:
http://shellfix.nirsoft.net/shell_problems_list.html?o=3
Look at the :Under Company
Sony DADC Austria AG. problems . Mostly caused Explorer crashes on my OS.
I’m not completely sure it was a rootkit but ShellExView fixed it when the Sony was removed.

Hard to know really. I did find the rootkit on my system after I spent alot of time looking for s free program to find and remove it. The virus was so hard to find for a while that not many programs found it. I had Norton running then and it missed it. I just finished the Microsoft scan with their malicious software removal program, it found nothing . So, it must be gone now. I found only one free soft ware in 2oo7 that would find and remove it. Fortunetly, it’s now easier to spot. So, I’m sure there’s a few more out there now to take it’s place. Sounds like Sony may have been the culprit. in your case.

Right now, I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my Hawking HBB1 Broadband Booster. It used to work good seperating and sorting the internet traffic. It has a blue light that comes on when it’s boosting (seperating) the signal. That light’s not working for some reason. If anyone has one of these and has any idea on these, let me know. Tried emailing the company and got no reply.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2521861]Robspace1, the Sony rootkit on Audio CDs is (or was) real.

There are some anti-copying techniques used on many DVD Video discs these days, but if your copying program can successfully defeat those techniques, the copied disc will play as well in Sony DVD players as in any other DVD player, provided the burn quality is not too bad.

Your other opinions, however, are not based in fact, and your repeated statements will not turn those opinions into facts.

You are on a crusade against Sony, but I decline the offer to participate. ;)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. :iagree:

Blank discs are completely blank and designed to be entirely overwritten.

It’s simply impossible for them to contain executable data otherwise they’re not blank. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

It was put on blanks as well as their own music and and sits on your hard drive. They have alot at stake and are desperate to try to stop any copies of anything. Here’s the company statement on this:

“The industry will take whatever steps it needs to protect itself and protect its revenue streams… It will not lose that revenue stream, no matter what… Sony is going to take aggressive steps to stop this. We will develop technology that transcends the individual user. We will firewall Napster at source - we will block it at your cable company. We will block it at your phone company. We will block it at your ISP. We will firewall it at your PC… These strategies are being aggressively pursued because there is simply too much at stake.”[

So, I think they have no idea of stopping and I would just go ahead and use another companies products instead of having to worry about these guys putting a virus on my system. It was too hard to get rid of the first one I got from them. There’s way too many other good companies not doing this.

[I]“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.”[/I] :wink:

And what would that big lie be? That Sony didn’t do this?-they did and admitted it and payed for it.