Lead out slow or worse with A06

vbimport

I’ve noticed that I have odd issues sometimes while writing DVD-Rs. The lead out will either take a very long time to write, or today I noticed that it wouldn’t complete, it was past the 20 min mark and still writing the lead out. :eek: I’m using the latest Nero and the media are Ritek G04s, written at 4x. This doesn’t happen all the time, but it has happened a handful of times so far. All on Ritek G04s with firmware 1.07, images vary from PC ISOs, to Xbox ISOs created with Qwix. What would cause this sort of issue? Thanks.

bump bump, no one knows what could be wrong here? :confused:

I’ll take a shot…

Is there anything that coincides with this issue? Is that a new spindle of Riteks? Are the burns that choke a full 4.38gb?

What I’m getting at is bad Ritek media. I have 2 spindles of Ritek (silver tops and Ridata printables) that don’t burn very well past the 4gb mark. Example:

Printable G04’s burned on Liteon 451S, fw GSB7, 4.38gb (full burn):

Now my Pioneer (different PC) has very similar scans at full burn capacity…I’ve also had one fail burn toward end. This disk pixelates and locks in last few chapters. As long as I keep my burns to <4gb, these burn fabulously…some of my lowest PI/PO. Just a guess, but your issue may be similar. Good luck, fellow frustrated friend.

Well, I dunno, since I’ve only had it happen a few times, I’ve generally tossed out the disc (3 discs I think?). It’s my first and only 50 pack of Ritek G04s so far (RiData). I believe 2 of the 3 times, the discs have been relatively full. The last one was probably more like 3.5GB or so, pretty sure under the 4GB mark. I thought Riteks were supposed to be killer though? Could it just be a few bad discs in the batch, or is this a common issue with Ritek? Thanks!

Originally posted by Hawseman
[B]I’ll take a shot…

Is there anything that coincides with this issue? Is that a new spindle of Riteks? Are the burns that choke a full 4.38gb?

What I’m getting at is bad Ritek media. I have 2 spindles of Ritek (silver tops and Ridata printables) that don’t burn very well past the 4gb mark. Example:

Printable G04’s burned on Liteon 451S, fw GSB7, 4.38gb (full burn):

Now my Pioneer (different PC) has very similar scans at full burn capacity…I’ve also had one fail burn toward end. This disk pixelates and locks in last few chapters. As long as I keep my burns to <4gb, these burn fabulously…some of my lowest PI/PO. Just a guess, but your issue may be similar. Good luck, fellow frustrated friend. [/B]

Well, if you asked me, I’d say yes, this is common as of late. My last 2 orders have been like that. Most people swear by Ritek…I just swear at Ritek…

I use 4gb as a rounded size…I have had some disks with issues at 3.8gb or so as well.

My take on it is balancing…there must be excessive wobble that causes the outside of the disk to be unreadable (or unwritable). The die formula is still one of the best out there…it’s just this issue that I have had lately. This would be consistent with your leadout issue.

Have you tried any other media on your drive?

I hate to blame the media…but, being an owner of a Pioneer, it’s about the only thing I’ve ever had problems with.

Here are some obvious (and cheap) things to check:

DMA enabled? defragged harddrive lately?

Here’s what I’d do (and did)…

Buy a 10 pack of high quality jewel case media (Maxell 4x, made in Japan, MXL is probably the cheapest of the high quality). Try those. If the issue still exists…I would tend to blame Nero, burner, configuration, etc. etc.

Good luck my flabbergasted, fugged-up friend

Well, I have tried other media, but that was when I first bought the drive, it was some cheap stuff, forget the manufacturer right now. No probs with it, but I didn’t have probs with the Riteks at the beginning either. I guess I’ll grab some Maxell’s and see what happens. But I did recently update to firmware 1.08, so I am gonna see if that may have improved anything. Thanks for the tips.

any solutions?