Lead-in on DVD discs

Hello,

What sector can I find the lead-in on a dvd+r and dvd-r disc? If its not a sector how would I go about locating it? I can open discs up to show all sectors in hex/unicode/ascii.

Thanks!:bow:

For DVD the first sector of leadin is at physical sector number 0x02F200. For DVD recordables there might be other areas though. I think you have to use the READ DISC STRUCTURE command. Info on this is in the MMC command specifications. I think you can get them at

www.t10.org

RM

Everything you want to know about the structure of DVD-R media can be found in ECMA-359. The standard can be downloaded for free in pdf format from the ECMA site at
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-359.htm

Thanks found it however I have one more question. It says its in physical sector number 02E400 however the program I’ve using won’t let me input that as a physical sector (cylinder/head/sector). I also tried sector 192 512 which is also for the “R-Physical Format Information Zone”. I think thats a logical sector but it just brings up jibberish.

Heres the program I’m using with sector 192512 open and the sector input box.

Many thanks.

From the SCSI-3 MMC draft document the read commands (e.g. Read10 and Read12) for reading a DVD only take a remapped sector address (LBA) and not a physical address (PSN).

From MMC2 draft:

LBA 0 shall correspond with the sector address of 030000h on DVD-ROM media. Only the Data Area is generally addressable using an LBA.

Meaning mapping is like this:

LBA 0 = PSN of start of user data

so for DVD-ROM and DVD-R:
LBA 0 = PSN 30000h
LBA 1 = PSN 30001h
LBA 2 = PSN 30002h

This means LBA is always after the lead-in area. The lead-in is not readable as sectors on the software side, but you can get decoded info of lead-in data using the MMC2 READ DVD STRUCTURE command and later superseded by READ DISC STRUCTURE - as RichMan mentioned.

[QUOTE=Zoidberg1;2213167]Thanks found it however I have one more question. It says its in physical sector number 02E400 however the program I’ve using won’t let me input that as a physical sector (cylinder/head/sector). I also tried sector 192 512 which is also for the “R-Physical Format Information Zone”. I think thats a logical sector but it just brings up jibberish.

Heres the program I’m using with sector 192512 open and the sector input box.

Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

It brings up jibberish because PSN 192512 (2F000h) is not a logical sector (LBA). By entering in 192512 as LBA (which you have done) you are really asking the drive to try and read PSN 2F000h + 30000h = 5F000h (389120).

Gotcha. Thanks!