LDW851S Firmware/Media Question

vbimport

Hi, I’ve had an LDW851S for about a month now, It came with gs08 firmware and I’ve just upgraded to gs0f firmware, Ive used Bulkpaq Orange minus R, Bulqpaq White Plus R, Fortis white Plus R and Datasafe White Ritec G04 minus R’s, I,ve used clone DVD2, Nero6 and DVDXcopyExpress3.1.2, The only discs that work consistently are Ritec g04 minuses, is this to be expected?
I have friends who use the bulkpaq orange-R and the cheap £7.99 bulkpaq +r’s with no problems at all using pioneer 107 and nec 1300, Is my liteon drive particullarly choosy on media? Which is the best allround firmware for this drive? ( I,m not interested in bitsetting) Any comments would be greatfully received, Thanks
:cool:

Welcome manninca

lite ons don’t work well with below par media, so that would explain ur results. Ritek works very well. people also use MCC, taiyo yuden and a few others. In a nutshell, u can’t go wrong with any datasafe, traxdata, arita or verbatim.
Check the media forum to see what works well with the drive. after u find out which codes work with the drive, check here or here for a list of which discs have which codes.

happy burning.

Thanks Booma, I was hoping it would be more tolerant of cheaper media but I will just stick with Ritek G04’s, any Idea about the best firmware version for this drive? I’ve read about some people having trouble with GS0F but I notice Liteon have removed all the older versions from their website!!!

no probs. I’m an 811 person not an 851, so I don’t know which is the best one, but I’m sure the info is here somewhere. When u find which one u want, dave’s place should have it, as he’s quite the firmware collector.
for cheap media, I think the pioneer 106 reigns supremely and unchallenged.

It also seems to be the experience of people here that GS0F greatly improved +R writing quality, but at the same time, -R writing quality got worse. In my experience, when my burner was GS0C, it wrote my RICOHJPNR01 discs and my RITEKG04 discs with the same quality. Now, the Ricohs are writing with significantly better quality and the Riteks are writing with much worse quality (yes, these are discs from the same spindle). So if you use more +R than -R, I would definitely recommend GS0F, but otherwise, I’d suggest using an earlier firmware.

Thanks Aussie, I think from now on I will be using the ritek minus r’s, they play on all the standalone DVD’s I’ve tried, What are the advantages of plus r’s they appear to be dearer and less common?

Originally posted by manninca
Thanks Aussie, I think from now on I will be using the ritek minus r’s, they play on all the standalone DVD’s I’ve tried, What are the advantages of plus r’s they appear to be dearer and less common?

The advantages of +R is technical. There’s an in-depth CD Freaks article that addresses this issue. For the end-user, they probably won’t know the difference. Where the differences do some into play is in development. Because +R is more robust and superior, they are running into much fewer problems. This is why they were the first to hit 8x, they’re the first to hit dual-layer, and they’re the first to hit 16x. -R isn’t as technically robust, so Pioneer and the other -R people are running into more problems as they try to implement faster speeds and DL.

Aussie? LOL. Note your label is “Newly Assimiliated.” Some admins in the forums having fun… :slight_smile: I’m trying to resist, but I guess I failed b/c now I’m one of the Aussie Borg… oops