Ldw811: Does 12Vdc have significant impact on write quality?

Hello,

Ldw811 states the voltage requirement as 5Vdc +/- 0.1 & 12Vdc +/- 0.2.
My system is having 5.0V & 12.2V.

Does anyone know if this will have a significant impact on Write Quality ?

Thanks!!

My 12V rail is at 12.3 and I haven’t had any isssues with my 811S.

Thanks !

Good to hear that

Originally posted by albetan
[B]Hello,

Ldw811 states the voltage requirement as 5Vdc +/- 0.1 & 12Vdc +/- 0.2.
My system is having 5.0V & 12.2V.

Does anyone know if this will have a significant impact on Write Quality ?

Thanks!! [/B]

That sounds rather naughty of LiteON to me.

Many PC power supplies are not speced that tightly.

Originally posted by bdg2
[B]That sounds rather naughty of LiteON to me.

Many PC power supplies are not speced that tightly. [/B]

Just many?

I’d so most.

The great majority of power supplies that make it into PC’s are cheap taiwanese/chinese/malaysian/etc supplies, which indicate high maximum tolerances and exceed the indicated toleranes regularly.

I’d say only the minority of pc power supplies would have decent ttolerances, and maintain them.

Those are just internal specifications of the DVD burner, don’t pay much attention :slight_smile: Electronic devices have tolerance levels.

The specs posted seem unrealistic :slight_smile:

Also NOT ALL PCs are equipped with cheap power supplies. If you buy your case and use the power supply that comes with it, you have what is called a generic or standard power supply, those I would steer clear from especially if you are a gamer…

You don’t need to have an expensive power supply for it to be good. Most expensive PSUs have extra features. You can use affordable and GOOD/RELIABLE PSUs, like ANTEC, they offer affordable, but excellent quality PSUs without the extra features like dedicated rails, true ratings, etc…

On the best of power supplies i’ve seen tolerance ratings of -/+ 5% @ 5VDC and -/+ 10% @ 12VDC…

Also, your motherboard readings may be misreporting your voltage levels as well…

I wouldn’t worry about it at all… Your system will be the first to malfunction before you even get to burning a DVD… Just do not exceed these tolerance levels and you’re fine.

Originally posted by Rimmer66
[B]Those are just internal specifications of the DVD burner, don’t pay much attention :slight_smile: Electronic devices have tolerance levels.

The specs posted seem unrealistic :slight_smile:

Also NOT ALL PCs are equipped with cheap power supplies. If you buy your case and use the power supply that comes with it, you have what is called a generic or standard power supply, those I would steer clear from especially if you are a gamer…

You don’t need to have an expensive power supply for it to be good. Most expensive PSUs have extra features. You can use affordable and GOOD/RELIABLE PSUs, like ANTEC, they offer affordable, but excellent quality PSUs without the extra features like dedicated rails, true ratings, etc…

On the best of power supplies i’ve seen tolerance ratings of -/+ 5% @ 5VDC and -/+ 10% @ 12VDC…

Also, your motherboard readings may be misreporting your voltage levels as well…

I wouldn’t worry about it at all… Your system will be the first to malfunction before you even get to burning a DVD… Just do not exceed these tolerance levels and you’re fine. [/B]

The drive apparently specified “voltage requirement as 5Vdc +/- 0.1 & 12Vdc +/- 0.2”

That’s 5V +/- 2% and 12V +/- 1.67%

That’s way tighter than most PC PSU are specced.

You are right that if the guy is just using the reading from his motherboard to assess the voltages those readings are quite likely to be imprecise too.

It’s important to note that hard drives, floppies, CD/DVD-ROM/writers take their power directly from the PSU, so for more precise readings, use a multimeter, and measure the current directly from the PSU connector. I can tell you right away that RARELY will you find exact 12.0 and 5.0 measurements :slight_smile: