LDW-811S - TY - very strange results in kprobe2 etc

vbimport

hello

ive got a problem with my LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S. (firmware: HS0R)
ive been using (dvd+r) ricoh media (also labeled as fujifilm) for quite some time,
though after bying a new pack of fujifilm media (Taiyo Yuden) (dvd+r) i am just getting
really bad burnt dvds (according to kprobe and nero cd-dvd speed).

here some results by kprobe2 from old media (ricoh):
sample 01
sample 02
sample 03

and new media (Taiyo Yuden):
sample 01
sample 02

DVD.Identifier data

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

drive capabilites

media code block

kprobe2 results with a BTC burner:
sample

additional info:
Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33 (set by bios)

dvdinfo pro data:
media information
drive information

nero cd-dvd speed:
speed test
disc quality test
scan disk

another kprobe2 sample

another strange thing is that i cant use apsi anymore in kprobe2
screen
“tray ejected” is just not right, there is media in the drive.

no comes the real wierd stuff which doesnt fit with the stuff kprobe2 and nero cd-dvd speed
results are telling me:
a) i dont have any problems reading and copying the burnt media (tested on 3 different drives)
b) dvdinfo is telling me that those burns were totally ok
sample 01
sample 02
sample 03
(well pi average of 0 is also little bit strange and the beginning of the graph too)

any more info needed?

suggestions very welcome!

best regards

At one time there were many discussions in the forums on this very topic. Some, including myself, went as far as to question the integrity of the media. There is nothing wrong with the media, as I’ve discovered after several spindles of YUDEN000 T02s.
Quite a few of us had that exact same problem.
The 811S is a terrible reader. Scan the discs on another burner for accurate results.

My 811S was retired to the garbage can for that exact reason.

1. looks to me like your sys/drivers is/are screwed. you can “rely” (as much as you can rely on any other drive that can scan for errors) on kprobe & liteon-drives, although i have to admit, scanning results may vary due to temperature and other facts (which are sometimes very strange w/the 811s especially) but you can use it for scanning and giving you an impression once you’ve learnt the behaviour of the drive. so much for the 811s.

2. for liteon drives use kprobe only (maybe nero cd/dvd speed aswell on 2nd instance & you can see that results do not differ that much. whereas its a whole other world with dvdinfo pro…). use kprobe! (<-my experience w/811s)

3. i can see you’ve used 8x media. generally speaking, use the certified speed of each media first and see what happens. do not use lower speeds first… you can experiment with the speeds later and see if it may help.

4. verbatim dvd+r on my 811s was a self-destruction-mechanism basicly. ricohjpn r01 dvd+r gave much better results on this drive… test different media and see what works out for you the best.

thats it. good luck

with that type of result, FAKE TY

Nonsense, Fuji doesn’t sell fakes.

I would try a strat swap on the 811 firmware. (after I seriously considered replacing the burner).

thanks a lot for the input guys !
i ll do some 8x burns and try the moded firmware.

“sys/drivers is/are screwed”:
at the beginning i was thinking the same, yet i tested it on 3 different pcs and all had the same results in kprobe. :confused:

i ll do some more testing