LDW-451S Dvds stutter when played

vbimport

Hello, this is my first post and I’m desperate for answers.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a Lite-On LDW-451S dvd writer. I’m using the firmware that is on the Lite-on site. It reads and writes everything pretty good, and I’ve never had problems with it before recently.

But, for about two months now I’ve had a problem reading any and all DVDs. The DVDs play fine, but after about 10 or 15 minutes into playing it (I’ve used PowerDVD and WinDVD) it usually starts to freeze up and stutter alot. After freezing for a few seconds, it continues but eventually freezes again, only this time it will last for a while. I’ve had dvds freeze at certain points for 30 minutes or more before it finally skips to another chapter. The picture quality is great and doesn’t seem to be the video card or its settings since while it’s freezing and stuttering, my dvd drive is making awful noises as if its trying to read it. It sounds like “WAAAAMP TCH TCH WAAAAMP” really loud.

I’ve tried reinstalling the hardware, I’ve updated firmware, checked if it’s on DMA mode (Always has been), changed hardware acceleration many times, and I can’t seem to figure out what the problem is. I’ve tried about 20 different DVDs, and most of them haven’t a scratch on them, so I’m sure it’s not the discs. The only thing I can think of is that the dvd reading laser is going bad, slowly but surely.

Is there anything you guys could suggest? Or should I just be aiming for a new drive to read my dvds?

If you need to know any more information, just ask and I’ll be happy to provide answers. I appreciate any help from other Lite-on users.