Ldw-451s CD-RW issue :(

I’ve got a problem together with my LDW-451. Using cd-rw sony 10x, sony 4x, tdk 12x, burned by either roxio or nero give low quality disks. Almost each time they have not readable files, and even those which can be read are really bad - for instance mp3 player skips all the time. In the same time the disks are well recorded on liteon and samsung cd-rw drives (at the work, do not remember models). CD-R, and all DVDs are written with no problems and with very nice kprobe results. Does anyone have something similar?? I do think I really need a help here :confused: . Thanks in advance folks!!!
System:
apollo 133A (tyan)
448 Mb Dimm
celeron 900
primary udma66 :master maxtor 80 gb, slave ibm 40 gb
secondary udma33: master LDW - 451S (working as 851s), slave liteon ltd163
winxp pro with all updates, via 4in1, miniport driver NOT INSTALLED

Perhaps you could try using different firmware.

in the moment it is GS0A, I’ll try to play around. Do you think it is a drive failure (does not seem so as CD-R works well, but…)? or there is incopmatibility issue with the apollo chipset - I know there is a problem with nero & DVD-R at this chip? Thanks!

It’s more likely to be a firmware issue in conjunction with old low speed CD-RW discs.
If you used 24x or higher rated CD-RW’s I would guess the quality would be much better.

I thought to try high-speed cd-rw’s but cannot find them here in Geneva so far, anyway thank you, and when i try firmware & high speed disks I will post the results here. have a nice sunday!

Originally posted by win4ik
I thought to try high-speed cd-rw’s but cannot find them here in Geneva so far, anyway thank you, and when i try firmware & high speed disks I will post the results here. have a nice sunday!

You as well :smiley:

I have same problem with original FW GSB5

I have tried Sony,TDK and Maxell cd-rws(all 4x) and 451s burns them with terrible quality

My old burner burns them perfectly

If anyone finds FW that solves this issue,let us know

well, here is some experience i’ve got: first i updated the drive to GSOF, after which recorded two cd-rw’s sony 4x and sony 10x both were much better than previously - i can easily use both in my iriver imp550, and for sony 4x i made kprobe scan - there were two c2 errors and level of c1 maximum ~ 50, taking into account that the disk is quite old and have scratches on it i consider it to be not that bad, at least the improvement in comparison to GS0A is clearly seen. However after I had real shit: trying to write dvd-r memorex (cmc magnetics) which always previosly had very good results in my case (burning at 4 with roxio) resulted in disks which had unrecoverable read errors after 85% of disk (i recorded two with exactly the same result: attemts to copy files from the dvd to hd showed problems after 85% of copying in both cases) - to me it seems a real problem with write strategy. kprobe was showing that the errors increased increadibly in the end of the disk. So after I set GSoH and tried to burn dvd-r - kprobe is worse to the previous ones which i had with GS0A see pic (sorry jpg), but the disk is readable and tomorrow i’ll check the cd-rw performance - will post it later. ciao!!
p.s. in the post preview th picture does not appear - sorry if it does not in the final post

Originally posted by Zombie2
[B]I have same problem with original FW GSB5

I have tried Sony,TDK and Maxell cd-rws(all 4x) and 451s burns them with terrible quality

My old burner burns them perfectly

If anyone finds FW that solves this issue,let us know [/B]

That is real shit
my previous burner aopen cdrw has never had any troubles, just as your one - i was able to burn all not cheap disks: tdk, imation, philips… with good quality. the drive was good rated by cdrinfo when i was buying it several years ago. the same behavior i expected fronm the liteon as it is well recomended by many sites in the net, but i own it now for about 2.5 months and still it does not work as i would like it to :a