LDW-451S and kprobe spikes

vbimport

Ok, I’ve already posted some messages regarding my trouble with the latest firmwares. Now I would like to go in some depth, hoping to help someone else as well.

As I said, the trouble is in -R burning. It’s not a matter of average POs or PIs, but rather of very high spikes. Maybe I’ll try to post an image later, but imagine to have a disc with average PI lower than 50 and average PI lower than 1, but with many spikes of about 500 for both. Sometimes the disc is readable anyway, but as spikes get very frequent (which sometimes happens), it becomes even unrecognizable. I get the same behaviour with any burning program (Nero, Alcohol, RecordNow) or media (even Verbatim TY and Memorex)

Now, the question is: is there a specifical known reason for these spikes, both hardware or software related? I’ve come to the conclusion that it depends somehow on the level of buffer memory, but I’m not sure about that. Anyway, any help on improving the situation would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

m.

Welcome. This topic has been discussed as long as I can remember. :smiley:

To my knowledge, this issue is /can be/ caused by; bad/wrong IDE-cables, chipsets and chipsetdrivers, powersupply, software, media, [and much more], or just by a “bad” drive.

Use the SEARCH button and you will find many more “possible” reasons. :cool:

Adding two links

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Welcome. This topic has been discussed as long as I can remember. :smiley:

To my knowledge, this issue is /can be/ caused by; bad/wrong IDE-cables, chipsets and chipsetdrivers, powersupply, software, media, [and much more], or just by a “bad” drive.

Use the SEARCH button and you will find many more “possible” reasons. [/B]

I’m sorry if the subject has already been discussed, but I find mine to be a different situation. The spikes I’m talking about are not regular: they are isolated and random. I’ll try to attach the image of a “good” (ie, perfectly readable) disc with spikes at the end of this message.
I know these spikes are common (actually, even commercial discs often have some of them…), I was just wondering if there is a known “event” that can trigger them.
Keep in mind that, as far as I remember, I never got ANY of these spikes on any +R disc I’ve burnt, only on -Rs, so the burning strategy seems to play a HUGE part.

m.

Ok, it seems I’ve succeded in attaching pictures at last.
These are the spikes I was talking about. The disc is perfectly readable, however.

EDIT: ouch! it seems this scan was made at Max speed… but i get very same results at 4x, believe me.

And this is a scan of an unreadable disc (spikes are very frequent and close, as you can see).

Boy, I had forgot how bad were these scans… anyway, both dvds are TY verbatims, and were burned at 2x.

I may well print out the picture and bring back the drive with the image attached to it…

Originally posted by marpis
[B]

Now, the question is: is there a specifical known reason for these spikes, both hardware or software related? I’ve come to the conclusion that it depends somehow on the level of buffer memory, but I’m not sure about that. Anyway, any help on improving the situation would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
m. [/B]

Hmm, now it´s getting interesting. Tell us more about your setup; hardware and software (not only like: “any program”), drivers… aso. :slight_smile:
BTW, right now we only know you have “451 with latest FW”.

Edit: ever tried to burn your TY DVD+Rs @ 4X…?

hello, similiar problem here with 451
very good results with burning on dvd+r(w), but
poor burning on dvd-r(w)…
have tried many firmwares for 451 and 451@851

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Hmm, now it´s getting interesting. Tell us more about your setup; hardware and software (not only like: “any program”), drivers… aso. :slight_smile:
BTW, right now we only know you have “451 with latest FW”.

Edit: ever tried to burn your TY DVD+Rs @ 4X…? [/B]

Ok. I have an xp1800+ cpu, a GA-7VRX motherboard and 512Mb ram.
The burner is configured as secondary master, and I have 3 hard disks, in a 400W case (I say that because I know power supply may be an issue).
Lately, I have created a fat32 partition on the first hard disk (primary master), which I use exclusively for storing images and files to burn. Obviously it is constantly and completely defragmented, although that didn’t change things at all.

As for the firmware, the problems began when I flashed GSB7, but since then I have flashed both GSB4 (not the one that came with my drive, since I don’t have a backup) and GSB6, without significant improvements. Actually, the second picture I attached (the ugly one) is a scan of a disc burnt with GSB4 fw.

As I already said, I have tried 3 burning programs: Nero 6.3.0.3, Stomp RecordNow Max 4.50 (with pxEngine 5.08) and Alcohol 120% (both built-in and atapi driver). Again, the differences were not significant.

Regarding burning speed, I’ve always burnt -R at 2x and +R at 2.4x. I’ve tried burning the bundled +RW disc at max speed, and I got a result slightly worse than 2.4x, so I’ve never tried that again.

Well, and now for the good news. I’ve decided to write that in a new message, since it is a completely new chapter.
Today I’ve tried to burn again a TY -R dvd using the UYS1 hacked firmware. The resulting scan is attached.
This is by far the best -R disc I got in ages!!! And maybe the best I’ve EVER burnt! Please note that it is the same image that yielded the awful scan I posted before…
What’s more, it is perfectly readable by my very picky standalone dvd reader (which, incidentally, doesn’t like +R media very much…), which is really a triumph.

All in all, it seems the hacked firmware has really made the difference. But I’m not convinced yet, I’m going to investigate further and see if there may have been another cause for this sudden rebirth.
I’ll let you know if I find something.

m.

Nice scan.

Interesting. So it seems that UYS1 is working quite nicely as an alternative FW for a number of 451/851 owners.

Also, in the future scans, could you upgrade to 1.1.29 of KProbe? It gives more information in the report. :slight_smile:

Hi Marpis,

Where can i find UYS1 hacked firmware??

Bye

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

The UYS1 firmware specially modified for use on 451S/851S drives is labelled as GSU1 (listed under U18A on the page). But UYS1/GSU1 is pretty old…

But before you try that, I highly recommend that you give the new

GSC2

firmware a try! :slight_smile: (listed under 851S on the page) It’s a lot newer than UYS1/GSU1.

Cool!
I was still using the UYS1 firmware, didn’t even know that a modified firmware for bitsetting support existed on the page you posted!
Anyway, after some months of use I can still confirm that the UYS1 firmware is absolutely brilliant when burning -R media, but no good with +R. Even with very good media (verbatim) I get very poor POs and PIs after the first 3Gb of data, which makes the disk unreadable, something that didn’t happen with LiteOn original firmwares. I hope the GSC2 firmware fixes the problem, I’ll try it as soon as possible.
Thank you

M.