LDW-411s vs LDW-451s Writing quality

I would like to know whether the writing quality for CDr/rw discs is THE SAME on both drives, since the 411 was the absolute winner (I indend to use it mainly as a cdr/rw burner, DVD’s being in second place).

I would also like to know if DVD writing is better or worse than the 411.

which drive would you recommend: NEC ND2500a or the lite-on LDW 451s (disregard 8x write speed, consider ONLY quality of CDr and DVD).

thanks!:bow:

alo bre!
could anyone help me?

thank you !!

Take NEC, bre.

Alright heres my take on LiteOn.

Their DVD burners SUCK. I build systems daily for friends etc… I always used LiteOn in the past for CDRW drives which are Kick Arse. But i ordered 3 seperate 451s, 2 411s and installed an official 811s and they all are headaches. I just RMA’d 3 of them. I have used Pioneer and NEC 2500 with great success.

I had to vent :frowning: because i have wasted soo much time with these drives and friends complaining about them.

I have to agree with "MAXIMUS95GST’. LiteOn DVD burner is nothing but a problem for me. I bought LiteOn-411 and their burn quality is very poor. My friend has a sony burner and it works great. I checked it against KPROBE.

After struggling and wasting more than 20 DVD media, I buckled down and bought Pioneer 106D. It has a problem with my SiS motherboard but no problem on my Abit VP6 board. I run Linux on Abit VP6 and has been burning DVD-R flawlessly.

So I use LiteOn 411 for KPROBE purpose. Don’t waste your money.

BTW - I heard good things about NEC burner. You might check out NEC - 8x burner is about $105 - good price.

p.s. Let me put it this way - I get a better result when I use zebra’s method on my 411S liteon. I don’t know what he did but zebra did an excellent job.

:bow:

FYI -

I forgot to mention that I’m not bias against LiteOn. I have LiteOn CD-RW burner and it is awesone.

I haven’t had any problem LiteOn CD-RW. It’s their DVD burner that I have problem.

BTW - I also have LiteOn DVD player that plays avi/mpg movies. This dvd player is a priceless. I can watch mpeg4 movies on my tv now.

I would say that the LiteOn DVD burners are an excellent choice for ‘advanced’ users.

For an inexperienced or nontechnical person, I would recommend a Pioneer… JMHO

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]I would say that the LiteOn DVD burners are an excellent choice for ‘advanced’ users.

For an inexperienced or nontechnical person, I would recommend a Pioneer… JMHO [/B]

LMAO.

I TOTALLY disagree with you 100%. I have plenty of experience with computers as stated in my earlier post. I have wasted alot of hours and about 80+ DVD+r & DVD-R’s on the Liteon drives stated above, not including my friends. I have YET to burn a bad DVD on my Pioneer A06, NEC 2500, and my HP 300n. My friends have computers built by me and use the same apps as i do DVDShrink,CloneDVD,Record Now 4.5, Nero 6.3.0.3, etc…

and the debate continues… may as well throw in my 2 cents, I mean, pence.

think of dvd burners as cars…
lite on dvd burners are like second hand japanese cars with flashy paint jobs which have great looks to show off with, can drive pretty well, but don’t fully come into their own until u mod it, tweak the turbo charger(s), put on the rims and manually tweak gear ratios.
the other burners are the brand new non-japanese, non italian, non german ones (they may as well be french) u buy from the main dealer, brand new, have less tweakability, but can drive around a few continents a couple o times straight off the showeroom floor without so much as putting in new oil.
gotta decide which category u fit in to. If only the burners said this on the box…

Originally posted by MAXIMUS95GST
I have YET to burn a bad DVD on my Pioneer A06, NEC 2500, and my HP 300n.

Try some DVD-R’s manufactured by Optodisc in your Pioneer A06. You will be surprised with the result you get :bigsmile:
But I do not blame Pioneer for these horrible results. This drive was even able to burn a cheap Princo DVD-RW. This disc was not even recognized by a BTC DRW1004 before.

Originally posted by Liggy
Try some DVD-R’s manufactured by Optodisc in your Pioneer A06. You will be surprised with the result you get :bigsmile:
But I do not blame Pioneer for these horrible results. This drive was even able to burn a cheap Princo DVD-RW. This disc was not even recognized by a BTC DRW1004 before.

I can care less about Optodisc, because i would have to mail order them to use them. Locally i can get Ricohjpn01 and MCC002. I amglad i don’t have to deal with Mertline(to many horror stories). if i want Ritek, i order from Newegg, which can’t be beat for the price and free shipping.

the best burn quality makes the plex 708.but my dvd player don´t accept DVD+R without Bittsetting.the plex has very good quali on DVD-R .but there is no 8x.DVD-R for the plex.so i sell this drive.then i used the 411.the results on DVd-R are very very crap with this drive!!i use Verbatim (mcc).
So i buy the Nu-Tech and have no probs.

Hands off from liteon!

wesociety -

I have to disagree with you. I’ve been tweeking around too 411S drive for more than one month - I tried both Polish and Zebra Mod v4 on my 411S.

Very strange thing with LiteOn 411S is that I get bettern burn with Zebra Mod 411@811 than 411S. I’ve been getting PO above 100 with LiteOn 411 on RICOH[ FUJI ] DVD+R 4x media when using Zebra Mod. So I thought I will try to go back to 411. Guess what. With original 411S - PO is above 300. I was shocked. But I realized that the reason I tried Zebra mod was because of these bad burns. My memory is getting worse.

BTW - Zebra - you are the man!!!

Having said that, with my pioneer drive, Riteck04 - I get less 50 PO - across board. And almost no PI errors.

With RICOH DVD+R 4x media burn with Pioneer, I get less than 20 PO across the disk except at the end of 10%, it starts to increase and above 300. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures since I’m at work.

As for reason to buy Pioneer - my wife got really angry at me because I was spending too much time with LiteOn 411S - after hours of late nights and wasting dvd media, she just gave up and ordered pioneer one for me. [ Thanks honey ]

But I’m thinking that I should have gotten NEC - cdfreaks.com review post almost the best burn performance with the latest NEC 8x drive.

I think I will wait for the dual drive before playing dvd burner.

Take care.

see, it’s how the user uses it, if it sucks for them, if it works for them, they know what they’re doing, lol
That’s how cars are right?
A bad driver = bad car
A good drive = good car

lmao, tha truth

I can empathize with anyone who has had problems and spent time troubleshooting. I have too. But some people change drives more often than they change underwear, when usually a less drastic change – to a different hardware config, different firmware or different media – will solve the problem.

I’m not picking on anybody in this thread, but I’ve seen lots of “brand x burners suck” posts here and in other forums from people who have not followed the installation instructions and have the jumpers set wrong, are using a bad cable, are having problems with non-MS IDE drivers, don’t have DMA enabled, don’t know how to run their burning apps, are trying to copy on the fly from scratched rental discs to the cheapest no-name media they can find using outdated software, etc., etc.

Back to the car anology, if you put a Porsche engine in a rusty Pinto, fill the tank with kerosene, throw on some recap tires and take it to Watkins Glen, you’re going to be upside down in the weeds before the first lap.

All I can say is that when I bought a 401S, it worked out of the box with good 4X DVD+R. I converted it to a 411S and it worked perfectly with good 4X DVD-R. I modded it to 811S and am getting eight-minute burns with excellent Kprobe scans and near-universal compatibility with bitsetting.

I just finished three straight on-the-fly copies from DVD-R to DVD-R using my LTD-163 and LDW-811S, and got three perfect dupes with the highest max PI being 31 and the highest max PO being 6.

I liked my burner so much I bought one for my son, and he’s getting the same high-quality burns on his 401S@811S. Could be just good karma, or we got the only two good ones LiteOn ever made, or it just could be that if you set them up right and feed them good media you get good results.

People who expect something as complex as a DVD burner to work right out of the box on any hardware using any software and write to any old wet beer coaster are deluded, IMHO. LiteOn can’t do that, but neither can NEC or Pioneer or Plextor.

I own a 451S and I must admit it’s cd-writing performance is excellent. If you don’t count the strange spikes with TY/MCC discs with cyanine dye when scanning at 24/32x, it’s flawless.

But I have tried different DVD+R media and so far the results have been horrible. I will get a new computer within the next few days, then I’ll upgrade the firmware and try again. My current motherboard has been rather tricky lately, so I’m hoping the DVD-writing issues get sorted out by the new computer and firmware upgrade.

Anyways, my two cents.

Okay time for another Lite-On user. I’m another one who always buy Lite-On since CDRW about 10 Lite-On passed my hands, not include the ones I recommened to my friends and relatives.

Why too many complaints against Lite-On, becuz Lite-On communities are huge, you can compare post count in Lite-On forum to other burners. If Pioneer, NEC, BTC have these many users these might be a different story.

I didn’t not say Lite-On is the best. I, myself, am still having some problem with my 411s@811s to get the best quality possible. I also bought Pioneer 106D a week ago but hardly used it, just a couple burns I guress. I might buy Plex. if the price is right (mean as cheap as Lite-On, ofcourse :slight_smile: )

Lite-on in my opinion is one of the drive I would buy again and again becuz you can do so many tweaks with it upgrade from 40x to 52x upgrade from DVD+R to dual formats to 8x dual format, so many F/W :rolleyes: to choose from and etc. etc. etc. you name it (did I mention copy of protection disc). Also thanks to this huge community of Lite-On, you know what problem might occure to your drive, you can read up-front of positive and negative from other experiences. I buy a burner not just to burn DVD or CD but to do, to hack, to play with it.

Why I don’t like Pioneer, I know it is one of the best reliable burn quality but what you get is only a F/W hack for 12x rip. How about Plextor, I’m not gonna spend $180.00 compare to less than $80.00 with Plextor. I will not mention other burners like BTC, BenQ, etc.etc… becuz I know you wouldn’t but it yourself :slight_smile:

Oh!!! BTW, I like when someone said " It is just a DVD burner" :bow:

do something others when burning check disc & test reading dvd

Well I might as wll post my experience with LiteOn drives also… I think they vary from batch to batch, and in general are made very poorly or have the worst parts installed…

I bought another 811s from BestBuy another day just to compare the results of those burns to my previous 811S…

Look in the next to posts and judge for yourselves…

Heres a scan 4x 8ECC of a RICOHJPNR01 burned at 4x with an 811S (HS0P and DVD bitsetting to DVD-ROM) manufactured date November 2003:

Heres a scan 4x 8ECC of a RICOHJPNR01 burned at 4x with an 811S (HS0P and DVD bitsetting to DVD-ROM) manufactured date January 2004: