LDW 411S stopped burning data DVD

vbimport

I have a Liteon LDW-411S, purchased new, boxed, in February this year. To start with it was burning OK, then it would burn a DVD, but on putting it back into the drive, I couldn´t read it. I am burning data dvd´s, with JPG digital photographs, and word, excel etc files. The disks were the first identified below (Prodisc).

After reading, and checking the Liton website, I found there was a firmware upgrade, so flashed it successfully. I also started using Emtec DVD-r (Interaxia) disks, in case it was a disk compatability problem with the drive. After flashing, I still couldn’t read the DVD’s with errors, but at least I could burn without a problem.

In the summer, I discovered that disks I had written and finalised earlier in the year, now were not recognised by Windows Explorer in the drive. At the time of writing, they were OK, and I use “WhereIsIt” to do a list/index of all the files, with thumbnails, so I can find stuff later.

The “whereIsIt” image shows the full disk was readable, but now I can´t access any of the files. The disks were stored vertically, in jewel cases, without labels.

Then I have had some problems writing using the Emtec Interaxia disks, the same as I had first of all, and I read that Emtec disks had a high failure rate, so changed to some that are badged as “Hello Disks, 4x Speed”. DVD
Identifier can´t identify the maker although it is the latest version.

These were writing ok, then the same problem happened, and after writing the last one, it wasn´t readable after being written.

I am using Nero burning ROM 6, version 6.3.1.20 Enterprise Edition, and have used Nero all year. At the end of the Nero burn sequence, the programme always says the disk has been burnt without errors.

I saw there was another FW upgrade, so flashed the drive to ‘FW FS0K’, but it has made no difference, as I still can´t read the earlier DVD´s. It will write and read CD, and CD-RW OK.

I´ve read as much as I can on the forum, to the point of being totally confused now. I’m a user not a software tech.

I am wondering whether I should now take the firmware back to where it was (two versions ago) when I bought it, or if there is something else I should try.

Very recently, while trying to see if the latest firmware made any difference, I discovered that a couple of disks contents would be read by Windows explorer, but then it wouldn´t open the file. However, if I went to MS Word, and used the open button, it took a while, but the document would open OK, without visible error. Most of the disks still could not be read. This suggests to me that there may be more than one problem.

My O/S is Windows 2000, SP4.

I apend below as much data as I think I can get (based on the excellent Forum Posting Advice) and would really appreciate any pointers as to what to do next. When I ran Nero scan, I got a message that the ASPI file was corrupted. First I knew of this, and not sure if this is relevent. The full Nero scan is attached as a .txt document.

I have downloaded KProbe 2, but have not attached the data as I don’t know what it relevent and what is not.

As there are two months of the warranty left, I can still take it back, if there is a problem with the drive.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

NormanW

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:PRODISCG01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRODISCG01]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , (2x)]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:VDSPMSAB 01]

Manufacturer Name : [Interaxia AG]
Manufacturer ID : [VDSPMSAB 01]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:NO_ID_PRESENT]

Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [Not Present On Disc]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]

Nero InfoTool 2.27

Drive Information

Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S
Type : DVD±R/RW Recorder
Firmware Version : FS0K
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 2004-06-29
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 2004/06/29 15:47
Drive Letter : J:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 6.0 , 4.0 , 2.0 , 1.0 X
Write Speed : 4.0 , 2.0 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection

: Yes

Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Disc Information (J:)

Type : DVD-R
Capacity : 493:56.36 (889 MB)
Tracks : 1
Sessions : 1

File System : ISO9660, Joliet
Title : Micerodrive 02 2
Date : 10 October 2004
Publisher : n/a
Application : Nero Burning ROM

ASPI Information

System ASPI : ASPI installation is corrupted

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.57 (1008) 48128 bytes December 23, 1997
ASPI32.SYS : 4.57 (1008) 23936 bytes December 23, 1997
WOWPOST.EXE : 4.57 (1008) 4672 bytes December 23, 1997

Nero ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

WNASPI32.DLL : 2.0.1.68 160016 bytes July 22, 2004

@ NormanW
Welcome:). Nice informative first post. Thank you for researching before asking :iagree:.

You may have several system situations which need attention. If you can take your drive back and get an exchange for, or full price towards a newer model, that may be the best way to go. There may be nothing wrong with your drive, but there are better drives out there now, and yours cannot be upgraded further, as you have the latest firmware already.

If you want to try and fix what you have, I think the best place to start troubleshooting would be to try better media… +R media. In most cases, Liteons don’t burn -R media as well as they burn +R media. Try some with the media code of RICOHJPNR01 or YUDEN000T01 as these are some of the best you can use. You may want to buy from a source that reveals the MIDs on the discs you buy. Try that, and do a few Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans of your new media burns at 4x scan speed. You say you already have the program. After scanning your burnt disc, before ejecting disc, save as a .png file. Attach to post using the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘postreply’, ‘quotepost’, or ‘go advanced’ reply windows. You can read about what these graphs mean here . Doing scans of your older media may not help much at this point, IMHO, as most of it is crappy stuff, so we KNOW they will be bad scans.

As for your system configuration, I noticed you have your burner set as a slave to your Maxtor HDD on the Primary IDE channel. If you are burning images from this HDD to a DVD, then that is a huge problem. I would suggest putting both your HDD on your Primary channel and your burner on Secondary Master and your DVD-ROM drive as secondary slave. Then you can burn from either HDD without a bus conflict.

You also may have problems with your ASPI layer, but we can address those after you try a few burns with better media. Good luck!

Thank you for the information. There are a few things to try there. I´ll get some different media next week. I´ll also change the system config, as I am burning from both HDD’s.

You learn something every day.

NormanW

I would not be surprised to start hearing about many more of Liteon’s first gen burners starting to mail. My LDW-401S which I bought way back in sept of 2003, I think, is starting to fail; the tray closes as soon as I open it.

Hi there,

Pay attention to ASPI layer installed: corrupted and old (4.57). You must solve that :iagree: Search the forum or the web for the suitable / highly appreciated version “Adaptec ASPI 4.60 (1021)” (do not use 4.7x versions). You can search the web ‘ForceASPI’ or the 4.60 version at adaptec.com.

On the other hand, if you get difficulties reading data discs, you can use ISOBUSTER (search the web), one of the best programs out there to recover files from damaged discs (e.g. scratched or high PI/PIF CD or DVD), if that is the case.

Good luck,

Thanks for the responses. May I apologise for the delay in replying.

In removing the 411 drive, my 1 year old ECS motherboard failed to restart when the new burner was installed. I´ve been without now for a week! I finally got the system into something like the state it was in, with a replacement Liteon.

An interesting different problem has cropped up, the newly reinstalled OS (still Win2000) will see the Liteon DVD-RW, but fails to recognise my old DVD player. If I manually install the DVD player through the BIOS then the OS, sees it but doesn´t see the Liteon.

I´m researching this one!

Thanks again.

Kevind1234
Hi Guys,

I have a Lite-on DVDRW LDW 411s drive that started burning CDs slower than normal. I upgraded the drive to DVDRW SOHW 832s VSOJ, now a orange light just flashes onthe drive and nothing else will happen. How can this be rectified?

!!! Urgent!!!

i think you cant ugrade a 411 to 832 [differend internal hardware ? ore something like that] :disagree:
ugrade it to a 811 is possiblel :iagree:

@kevind12
as wimpio said, you can only upgrade to 811s. but if you have ~40$/€ left, buy a new drive (like 1635s) as it’s much better than a 411s.

but if you want to keep your 411s, upgrade it to 811s:
download the eeprom utility, make an eeprom backup and then convert the drive to 811s: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/EEPROM_Utility-3.1.0.rar
after this flash it with a crossflash.patched.811s firmware:
download omnipatcher: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers/omnipatcher-2.4.2.rar
and the firmware: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/811S.HS0R.stock.rar
load the fw into omniaptcher, enable crossflashing, save it and then run the patched flasher.

more infos: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

Hi Guys,

I had similar problems with my Lite-on DVRRW +r 411s drive; it started burning Cds but upon playing back it would not play all the tracks on the cd. I upgraded to 811s but the problem still exist. It will not burn cdrw either. I erased cdrw and burn to it, it burns to 100% and says done but when you but it back in the drive nothing is on the disc. It copy dvds ok though, what can I do. I need to burn so music cds.

Flashing and especially crossflashing cannot resolve such hardware issues, never ever.