LDW-411S - Slow Burn... DVD -R playback issue

Is my 411S a POS?

It takes 1 hour to burn a 2 hour movie. Burns at 1X with a 4x media(selected max and smart burn on two separate occasion, no go. still slow burn)

Flash updated to FS0F. still no go…

Burnt -R wont play on a standalone player.(pana s-31, -R compatible)

CD-R recording is way too slow at 7 mins to complete a 650MB burn.

Occasionally get an error at the end of DVD -R burn that reads something like this “WRITE DISK ERROR…ANALYSIS:02A…”

Read many threads in this forums and still dont have a clue.

HELPPPPPPP…

Hi and welcome! :slight_smile:

To me it sounds like DMA is not enabled for your drive.

w2k/XP: Device manager -->IDE/ATAPI devices–>Find the IDE channel your drive is connected to -->check its properties under advanced settings and see if it says “DMA if available” and see what current transfer mode is set to. If current transfer mode is set to “PIO only” then you have a problem and DMA is not enabled.

Nvidia nforce IDE drivers and intel application accelerator may also cause problems like this.

What media are you using?

Thanks for your reply. I hope your solution is what it needs to overcome all the issues I have. I’ll try @home and post the results here.

For a newbie like me, do you mind posting a message showing how to ENABLE DMA in win2000? Thanks in advance.

The media I’m using is the one that came with the retail product rated at 4x for both DVD-R/+RW and a 2.4x KHypermedia DVD-R.
I’m using FUJI 48x CD-R to burn VCD’s.

Thanks for your support.

Same way that is described above :slight_smile:

w2k/XP: Device manager -->IDE/ATAPI devices–>Find the IDE channel your drive is connected to -->check its properties under advanced settings and see if it says “DMA if available” (if set to “PIO only” set it to “DMA if available” of course :wink: )

SUCCESS…at last…

Thanks OC-Freak, enabled secondary IDE from ‘PIO only’ to ‘DMA if available’ (Ultra DMA). It worked… I was able to burn a 30 min video to my DVD+RW in 3 mins BUT the burn process was followed by VERIFYING THE DISC process which took 6 mins to complete (LED was green throughout this process). Why does it take this long to complete verification process? is it ncessary to do this process? any way to turn-off the verify process? I’m using recordnow max to burn. tried roxio easy cd/dvd creator to burn the same 30 min video but for some reason it burns only at 1x and estimated 40 mins to perform burn process. needless to say i stopped the burn inbetween.

Thanks for your input.

i thik i’ve the same problem the only difference between you and me is that i’ve my 411’er in an external case.
i’ve found the option where i can enable the DMA but only for primary and secondary ide not for drives on usb 2.0 bus.
can somebody help me please how to fix this problem, please.

bye SyNTaXer

Originally posted by SyNTaXer
[B]i thik i’ve the same problem the only difference between you and me is that i’ve my 411’er in an external case.
i’ve found the option where i can enable the DMA but only for primary and secondary ide not for drives on usb 2.0 bus.
can somebody help me please how to fix this problem, please.

bye SyNTaXer [/B]

DMA works only with EIDE bus…

Dont know about your OS, but you have to install /update to proper USB 2.0 driver.
As example you can check this:

Originally posted by jaganjai
[B]SUCCESS…at last…

I was able to burn a 30 min video to my DVD+RW in 3 mins BUT the burn process was followed by VERIFYING THE DISC process which took 6 mins to complete. Why does it take this long to complete verification process?[/B]
Quite simple. The drive writes with CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) which is 4x. It usually reads with CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) which means constant RPM, this improves the random access times. At the inner part of the media it reads with about 2.6x, at the outer part 6.7x. Your DVD is almost empty, so you get the low read speed.

i’be tried a bit. only with nero i got 1x write,
with the supplied sonic dvd writer program i got full speed 4x.

nero problem. but why, i’ve read that many 411’er users have probs with nero.

bye SyNTaXer