Ldw-411s only write dvd at 2x

I have a 411s, that i have no problems with other then any recording software other then MyDVD only detects it as a 2x writer. MyDVD does write to it at 4x, but since I actually paid for Nero6 I would like to be able to use it and the drive at full speed. I have tried Nero 6( just updated last week), borrowed a friends EasyCd6 to see if it worked on it and a couple others that I can’t remember. I tried flashing the firmware to the newest ver still no luck. I am running it on a nForce2 motherboard, but I just bought that board after the 411s and my previous VIA motherboad did the same thing. The drive is showing in DMA mode using an 80pin IDE cable, WinXP Pro SP1 all update to date, MSI K7N2 Delta 512mg ram (previous motherboard was Gigabyte GA-7VRXP 2.0) I’ve tried searching this forum, as well as probably 20 other ones devoted to this drive and could not find anyone else asking this problem.
thanks in advance for any help

ps. i’m not interested unauthorized firmware flashing unless you will pay for a replacement if it fails.