Ldw-411s -> ldw-811s (?)

Well, it might be a little early to guess…but:

Theoretically LDW-411S -> LDW-811S could be possible. :stuck_out_tongue:
(That’s just what we are used to from LiteOn.)

Maybe LDW-411S -> LDW-811S -> LDW-812S could even become reality. :smiley:

But first LiteOn should release new LDW-411S firmware with better media compatibility.
I hope I will not regret not buying Plextor’s PX-708A instead.

might be possible but i dont think LiteOn is going to make the same exact drive as the 401/411s. I mean they’ve seen everyone trying to reflash their 401->411s. but if they do, i think there will be a “legal” way with a firmware hack to make it write up to 8x and still be a 401/411s. I mean overclocking isnt illegal is it? :slight_smile:

If it would be possible it would be a simple old fashion OC’ing, no trouble with licenses because both are dual format and already paid for. But I doubt it’ll happen.

I wouldn’t have thought that the current 401s/411s chipset would support 8x writing?

Also, as someone else has said … I get the feeling that LiteOn plan to do more to prevent interchanging firmwares.

I think the 811S have a new chipset/pickup so overclocking won’t work, but time will show.

But if they continue using their old numbering scheme, the last digit shows which chipset is used in this drive and 401, 411 and 801 always show the same number. :bigsmile:
Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by joerg_kling
But if they continue using their old numbering scheme, the last digit shows which chipset is used in this drive and 401, 411 and 801 always show the same number. :bigsmile:
Just my 2 cents

If I remember correctly, this isn’t the issue with their DVD-writers.

The first digit stands for the maximum speed of the burning (4x writing), the second digit stands for -R support (0= no -R support, 1= -R support), the third digit stands for +R support (0= no +R support, 1= +R support).

Didn’t someone mention an LDW-812? What would that 2 mean in this case? :confused:
Dual layer DVD+R(W)?

If I remember 812S specs well: 8x write DVD, 16x read DVD, 48x read CD and possibly 48x write CD.

Check out the Nero drive compatibility list for more info :cool:

Now that LiteOn has figured out how to lock the EEPROM and prevent flashing to another drive’s firmware, I think we can expect them to do more of the same. Of course it’s not hard to circumvent, but it’ll become the norm. And more people will be killing their drives, messing with it, than before.
I actually think they have created this problem themselves by releasing a “new and improved” drive every 2 months with the same hardware. I don’t think it’s their intention to rob anyone, the technology is just improving too fast. Anyway, we shall see. :bigsmile:

NEC would appear to be using a new chipset for their X8 also will probably be used by Pioneer and of course Sharp have just knocked out a X16 chipset. Lets hope that Liteon do something similarly radical!!!

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Now that LiteOn has figured out how to lock the EEPROM and prevent flashing to another drive’s firmware, I think we can expect them to do more of the same.

They locked the EEPROM? for which drive?

Here you can find the eeprom and the firmware of the 811s :wink:

Ooops, don’t link to EEPROM files…

I removed the link to the EEPROM since we do not want that here, but if anyone cares: the overclock to LDW-811S do not work with a LDW-811S EEPROM either, just to have that said.

Still it seems like there may be hardware differences to me --> Overclocking not possible…

OC-Freak edit: :wink:

You did not get my point. Good bye.