Ldw 411 shown as ldw 451

hi all

ive bought an ldw 411, plugged it in and started my computer. windows asked to install drive as usual, but i couldnt find a driver. device manager shows drive as normal (no ! or ? ), but under “driver”, it says that there is no driver. and instead of ldw 411, it is shown as ldw 415

however it reads cds and dvs fine, my burning programs recognize it, but didnt try bruning a dvd though.
any suggestions why windows cant find driver or why it thinks that my ldw 411 is an 415

thanks in advance (and i did use search engine but couldnt find something)

hard disk, floppy drives, cd/dvd reader/writer drives don’t use drive.

they dont use drivers??? so why is windows trying to find one?

any idea why its shown as 415?

oh shit, its not shown as a 415 but as a 451 sorry!

Originally posted by lumbjack
oh shit, its not shown as a 415 but as a 451 sorry!

If it’s shown as a 451, then it means that you probably got a 451 instead of a 411. :slight_smile: Take out your drive and look at the sticker on the top (the one w/ all the warnings, etc.). Does it say 411 or 451? If it says 411 and your system still says that it’s 451, then something’s screwy. But if the sticker on the top says 451, then it means that you got a 451 when you thought that you had bought a 411.

Note that the 451 is more reliable than the 411, so you should be happy that you have the 451… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by code65536
Note that the 451 is more reliable than the 411, so you should be happy that you have the 451… :slight_smile:

For the record, I don’t really agree with that statement. I think both drives overall are about equal.

Originally posted by Ssseth
For the record, I don’t really agree with that statement. I think both drives overall are about equal.

Okay, I’ll correct that to “based on the impression that I’m getting in these forums, the 451 seems to be more reliable”

Not to mention, the 451 can be (potentially, in the future) “upgraded” to the 812 :slight_smile:

Not to mention, the 451 can be (potentially, in the future) “upgraded” to the 812 :slight_smile:

That part could be a nice bonus :smiley:

[B]Okay, I’ll correct that to “based on the impression that I’m getting in these forums, the 451 seems to be more reliable”

Not to mention, the 451 can be (potentially, in the future) “upgraded” to the 812 :slight_smile: [/B]

I suspect that’s only cos many more people own the 411 cos it came out first.

You can be assured, 451 issues will be coming out of the woodwork soon :slight_smile:

Again, there is some speculation over the 812 control chips.
It may or may not be the same as the x51 drives.

Owning an LDW-451S has it’s advantages…

You can readily “upgrade” your drive to an LDW-851S supporting 8x DVD+R/4x DVD-R via firmware and in the future, an upgrade to an SOHW-812S that supports 8x DVD±R will be possible!

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]Owning an LDW-451S has it’s advantages…

You can readily “upgrade” your drive to an LDW-851S supporting 8x DVD+R/4x DVD-R via firmware and in the future, an upgrade to an SOHW-812S that supports 8x DVD±R will be possible! [/B]

Someones already posted that :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
in the future, an upgrade to an SOHW-812S that supports 8x DVD±R will be possible!

We hope it will be possible. Nothing is guaranteed.

Originally posted by debro
Someones already posted that :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

The good thing about the LDW-451S to LDW-851S “upgrade” is the fact that you don’t need to patch your existing EEPROM for the upgrade to work. With the LDW-411S to LDW-811S upgrade, however, you need to use the zebraMod for the upgrade to work properly. (Many thanks to fellow Aussie, “zebra” for making the zebraMod available by the way! :bow: )

ok ill have a look at my drives sticker when i get time to. ill keep u up to date.
what if my drive really is a 411, what could be “srewed”? and what would be the matter? (stupid question but im just a noob)

thx lads

ok now… my drive is a ldw 451, its written at the top of my drive.
i was confused because on the receipt is written: ldw 411/451
now that problem is solved.
but the problem with its driver remains. i just cant find one.
happyperoil wrote that it doesnt use drivers, so why is windows trying to install one? how can i stop my os asking for one all the time?
thx again

lumbjack, dont worry. there have been cases mentioned even on this site in the earlier days when the 411 was being replaced by the 451 that some people got 451s in a 411 box. a general rule of thumb is that if windows says its a 451, its a 451. Don’t worry about no drivers either. No IDE optical drives to my knowledge need any drivers in even the most half recent windows OSes. and o yeah, I doubt windows is trying to find a driver, it accepts that none are needed
Dont worry, everything’s fine:D .

oh so i can cancel my appointment with the psychiatrist :stuck_out_tongue: alright thanks a lot. but one last question: do u think i should install new firmware even if the drive is working perfectly?

Originally posted by lumbjack
oh so i can cancel my appointment with the psychiatrist :stuck_out_tongue: alright thanks a lot. but one last question: do u think i should install new firmware even if the drive is working perfectly?

General rule of thumb. If it aint’ broke don’t fix it :smiley:
If something goes wrong though sometimes it don’t hurt much. You can always go back with the tools found in my signature. Just backup a copy first :bigsmile:

okidokie, now i can sleep better, thanks bunch a lot