Ldw-401s - inconsistent problems with reading

Ello

I’ve recently bought ldw-401s drive. Overally I’m pretty happy, but today I ran into some rather inconsistent problems.

Namely, my burnt dvd+r media (tested: verbatim x2.4, verbatim x4, tdk x4) are sometimes read without any problems with “typical” curve under i.e. nero’s cdpseed, yet sometimes they get constant slowdowns/spinups or are read incredibly slowly.

Following small images (~2KB png) show situation with the same burnt dvd+r under the same conditions (only cdspeed running, most of services turned off, no additional cpu load from other processes, etc.etc.). Img nr4 was taken directly after nr3 one, with one eject/load operation inbetween. All “side” stuff (like power, cpu, ram, cooling, cabling, etc.) has been tested and seems to work well.

01, 02, 03, 04, 05

My question is - what can be causing this inconsitency, assuming that everything except dvd burner is ok. Some mechanical problems ? (reloading media into drive “caused” problems with reading - see 03 and 04) bad media ? (but then why are ther problems with reading only from time to time ?). Something else ?

Firmware is ES0G. Burner is alone as master drive.
TDK medias are ricoh’s. Verbatims are mitsubishi chemical corp’s (Smartburn’s identification)

Any suggestions greately appreciated.

ps.
Well, this is my first post, so btw - hello everyone :slight_smile:

edit:
smaller pngs

Hi, and welcome :slight_smile:

Have you tried scanning the discs with K-Probe to see if the error amount is higher et the end of the discs?

You have of course checked that DMA is enabled? What chipset and chipset drivers do you use for you mainboard?

Have you tried scanning the discs with K-Probe to see if the error amount is higher et the end of the discs?

I tried to find Kprobe, but it seems like every single link I found is dead. Access to Karr’s site always ends with “forbidden” (not long ago it was protected with small number). Maybe you could email me KProbe ?

You have of course checked that DMA is enabled?

Sure (enabled of course).

What chipset and chipset drivers do you use for you mainboard?

Chipset is nfroce2. Drivers are pretty much the latest official (2.45), except newer (leaked) audio driver.
I also used two versions of ide driver - M$ one (nf2 still installs this one by default with added uata6 timings and changed name) and NF2 one (was pulled back from nvidia’s webspace due to some problems some people had).
Both drivers give the same results.

Btw - readings without problems happen like in 9 out of 10 situations. Still, I get good and bad readings on the same media and that’s what worries me most.

The nforce chipset may be the problem as I’ve seen this chipset and its drivers cause all sorts of problems for optical drives.

Check your mail…

It may be. That’s why I went back to generic M$ one when I first experienced those problems (with no luck :frowning: ). Cabling was my second try, also with no luck. Then some other things with increasing paranoia (uninstalling incd, shutting down services, testing memory, you know the stuff …).
My previous burner (Teac cd-w524e) worked without any problems both on nf1 and nf2.

Thanks for mail. :bow:

For most of the day I’ve been making tests with KProbe - I crafted quickly small html with results and some comments. If anyone could check it and state some opinions about it, I would be obliged.
click
Thanks in advance.

suggest you scan at the burn speed, ECC sum-8

Well:
The same x2.4 verbatim disk that was used on my small results page:

1st test - tested with x2.4 speed and pi/po sum to 8 ecc blocks:
1st graph
100 “servo errors” followed by “following track error”, then failure before 20% of disk was reached

2nd test - the only difference was reloading/ejecting the same disk:
1st graph
Nice graph, no additional problems.

In other words, more or less the same as in that results page - either disk is read without any additional problems, or the reading gets “crazy” - big speed fluctuations and servo errors followed (in case of 100 of then) by “following track error”.

EDIT:
That “btw” directly below is not true - just experienced 2.4 burnt media that starts going wrong well after x3 speed (or reads without any problems)

Btw, basing on previous results page:
I noticed, that problems start to happen when reading speed is around or >burnt speed. This would explain why they happen immediately with 2.4 media when read at max speed (reading starts around x2.7) speed, but are postponed with x4 media (in my case tdk from results page) until reading speed gets closer to x4.

Strange problem. Never seen anything like this before.

Could you possibly test the drive & the same discs in another computer (one without nforce chipset).

Then we will know if it’s the computer/chipset or the drive that is causing it…

Well, my drive will be replaced for new one.

Thanks for help everyone :slight_smile:

just wanted to know what firmware was in the drive?

maybe ES0G? :Z

in your reply to is your drive bad… maybe… i think its more of a firmware problem… maybe even a combination of both…

I burn everything on fw ES0C and do not get results that are all over the place anymore and almost every burn is good

i have the same verbatim datalifeplus made in singapore and the graphs are NICE!

check them out

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&threadid=75682

i ruined my first 401s and bought another one and my first burn i was so mad that i did … but now using this older FW im gald i did because these are great burns!
even have one 4x burn and its the best 4x burn ever that ive scaned personaly :slight_smile:

@soltys
from website

Generally - getting errorneous situations is kinda difficult, and I didn’t find any 100% method to make my drive read with or without errors. And it may take a lot of ejecting/reloading until such stituation happens. That verbatim disk tested in the first part seems to have best chances to have reading errors. But logically, ejecting/reloading shouldn’t change situation so significantly - it’s obvious that PI/PO graph will be different, but not absolutely, totally, completely different. When drive goes from not reading at all (failure around 20% with big number of servo errors) to reading easily without any additional errors, then I would say that there’s something else causing it.

i think these read problems are firmware related. i also noticed these problems when reading a dvd+r that had very bad graphs like your and i HAD TO GET THE info off the disc. i used badcopy pro and noticed that sometimes ejecting the disc a few times i would be able to read more files or different files off the disc! IT was totaly random and out there that i was like OKAY as long as i got the data off i was fine with it but it took close to 100 times ejecting it to get it to read every last file near the end of the disc!

id first try ES0C firmware then if you still get bad scan results and burn then RMA it! :slight_smile:

but you have to realize that all the burns on ES0G are still going to be bad… might have to reburn them…

all the burns on ES0G are still going to be bad

Sorry, but this is just incorrect. do a search of the test forum for ES0G and you will see plenty of very good burns.

from my experience ES0G is not working correctly all the time.

Originally posted by siliconsoul
from my experience ES0G is not working correctly all the time.

Not surprising me. You do not even use your original Eeprom anymore. ES0G works perfect for me.

i bought a new drive
so it is a new eeprom! and original
i already stated this in this post once already… please read carefully
:slight_smile:

ill give ES0G another stab… but i really hate ruining good dvd+r
:o

I wonder when the new 401s firmware is finally coming out. It was definately not 17 October…

Originally posted by siliconsoul
[B]

i think these read problems are firmware related. i also noticed these problems when reading a dvd+r that had very bad graphs like your and i HAD TO GET THE info off the disc. i used badcopy pro and noticed that sometimes ejecting the disc a few times i would be able to read more files or different files off the disc! IT was totaly random and out there that i was like OKAY as long as i got the data off i was fine with it but it took close to 100 times ejecting it to get it to read every last file near the end of the disc!

Hmm, that worries me “a little”. Maybe there was some batch of failed drives having such behaviour. Still, if you always get good burns and readouts with older firmware, then I’m out of ideas for the moment. Regarding that site of mine - tests there were made with ‘max’ speed setting, so they shouldn’t be used as a measure of quality of burns. I only wanted to show thet my drive gets tough to explain - big fluctuations with speed during readung, servo errors, and track following errors. And sometimes it doesn’t get anything like that with the same disc.

id first try ES0C firmware then if you still get bad scan results and burn then RMA it! :slight_smile:

Too late, RMAed already.
When I get my new drive back, I’ll check it very thoroughly then.

Well, my drive is back :slight_smile:

And it’s awesome now (with ES0G), especially with verbatim datalife+ x4 media (mitsubishi chemicals). With one of such disks it managed PI/PO with PI not exceeding 6 at max speed. Normally it won’t go above 15. TDK (ricoh) disks are a little worse, with PI around 30 at max speed. I’ll post some graphs soon, both with pipo==8/burnt speed and pip==1/max speed.

But it’s almost day and night.

what date was your manufactured?

also burning on ESOG is good?
with what dvdr brands?