LDW-401S at Dell

vbimport

I was just over at the Dell peripherals site, and they are now selling this DVD-burner. The price is $131.95, but they are always sending me 10-percent-off coupons with free shipping, which would make this very attractive.

People who own this drive have posted mixed responses. Some have few difficulties, but others seem to be having significant media compatiblity problems.

Have there been any objective reviews of this drive? Are the members of this forum who have this drive really happy with it?

Thanks for the help.

I’m very happy. You can also get this drive from some Wal-Mart stores now for around $154 which isn’t bad for being able to take it home with you from a store the same day. $131 is pretty cheap.

dhc014,

Thanks for the response.

After posting my original message, I went back and reviewed many of the postings to this group on this drive, including the numerous postings in the media compatibility thread. I was really struck by the number of people who appear to be having trouble with this drive and by the very limited number of people who have expressed their satisfaction with the drive.

I’d really like to purchase a dvd-burner, and I’m a real fan of Lite-on. Also, I favor the Lite-on because it has 40x cd-r writing speed, which would be a step up for me. But, it appears that Lite-on has a way to go yet before producing a reliable dvd-burner.

Thanks again for the response.

Well here’s a positive feedback.
I bought it last week and while I did not intensively tested it, it worked perfectly with the DVD I tried.
The included DVD+R and DVD+RW both work spotlessly.
So are the Philips DVD+R that I bought real cheap in the store down the road.

They all play fine both in my pc’s and my standalone DVD player (pioneer dv350s)

I also like the 40X cd burning speed and the very low price.
Then there were rumors that with a firmware update this could become dual standard but that hasn’t happened yet.

The only issue I had was when trying to burn a DVD with Nero 6. I had selected ‘simulation’ and it was giving me an error message.
It turned out that Nero6 does not support simulation on DVD’s.

Obviously first thing I did after taking it out the box was flashing the firmware! That went smoothly too.
Very happy!!

Peroni,

Thanks for the information–I’m glad to hear that there are happy users. I went to the Lite-on site and noticed that they have new firmware dated August 25th. Perhaps that has solved some of the problems.

Thanks again,

Modred

Originally posted by peroni
[B]Well here’s a positive feedback.
I bought it last week and while I did not intensively tested it, it worked perfectly with the DVD I tried.
The included DVD+R and DVD+RW both work spotlessly.
So are the Philips DVD+R that I bought real cheap in the store down the road.

They all play fine both in my pc’s and my standalone DVD player (pioneer dv350s)

I also like the 40X cd burning speed and the very low price.
Then there were rumors that with a firmware update this could become dual standard but that hasn’t happened yet.

The only issue I had was when trying to burn a DVD with Nero 6. I had selected ‘simulation’ and it was giving me an error message.
It turned out that Nero6 does not support simulation on DVD’s.

Obviously first thing I did after taking it out the box was flashing the firmware! That went smoothly too.
Very happy!! [/B]