Laywer sues Microsoft over Surface free storage misadvertising

vbimport

Laywer sues Microsoft over Surface free storage misadvertising.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/11/yl2Y4z.jpg[/newsimage]We recently reported about the difference between the real and advertized free space on Microsoft Surface tablets. A laywer from California also noticed how little space he had compared to his idea when he bought the device and has decided to sue Microsoft.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/laywer-sues-microsoft-over-surface-tablet-storage-space-misadvertising-64834/](http://www.myce.com/news/laywer-sues-microsoft-over-surface-tablet-storage-space-misadvertising-64834/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What a joke, and I refer to the free space not the lawsuit

I also agree that the advertise space is misleading, at least for the Surface RT. For example, on a PC or laptop, you can take advantage of the full advertised storage space (where GB refers to 1,000,000,000 bytes.) Just run your OS from a CD (e.g. Live Linux) or USB flash drive and format the HDD blank to store your data on.

From what I’m aware of, the Microsoft Surface RT tablet can only run its own bundled operating system, which if the case means that the space taken up by the OS and bundled Apps can never be made available for the user to make use of. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see if someone does manage to port Linux over to the Surface RT. If it’s possible to fully run the OS on a USB stick on the Surface RT, then it’s possible to make full use of the advertised storage space. :smiley:

It might be worth buying one now in case of a class action lawsuit.

Might be the only reason worth buying one.

give him a 16GB microsd card, sorted

Where was this guy when we were buying 14" CRTs?!! And ANY hard drive is still advertised at an always-larger capacity than is actually delivered under any OS. Gee - what would be wrong with seeing 1Tb and getting 1.1Tb instead?

I wish this guy luck. I’m shocked that a lawyer would find any marketing claim, however, upsetting, misleading, or even consider it “a lie”. But it takes one to know one.

From what I’m aware of, the Microsoft Surface RT tablet can only run its own bundled operating system, which if the case means that the space taken up by the OS and bundled Apps can never be made available for the user to make use of. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see if someone does manage to port Linux over to the Surface RT

Tegra 3 is supported by Linux. So, obviously the main problem is UEFI secure boot which cannot be turned off on ARM devices (as Microsoft stated before).
Hell knows how hard to bypass secureboot.
I’m not even sure if there any possibility to boot from SD cards.

My Toshiba Thrive Tablet does that too. The apps that come pre-loaded can not be removed except by JailBreak. Some of them are things I’ll never use but can’t remove.

This sounds like a classic example of Microsoft being… Microsoft.

I’ve always believed that people who buy 1billion bites
and actually expect to get 1024million are expecting 2.4% more
than they pay for.

It would be so easy for the operating system writers to have the
computer display base10 even though computers really “think” in base2

Hey you don’t see your e-mail (or this reply) in 1’s and 0’s do you?

Simply displaying the smaller GB numbers from Base-2 just serves to confuse people.
especially when seen alongside the larger base-10 expression.

465gb in base-2 is exactly the same thing as 500gb in base-10