Layer Size is detected wrong in DVDFab (on Windows 7?)

vbimport

I’ve been using DVDFab for years and only recently have I experienced this problem (perhaps as the result of a Windows 7 upgrade). I am running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and DVDFab 6.2.1.8 and the 7.1.0.2 beta.

Layer sizes are incorrect for every dual layer disc I try, resulting in incorrect .ini files being written.

The number of sectors are unusually high (or even negative) and both layers are always reported as being equally sized. For example:

Info for drive [H:\] (DVDFab 7.0.1.2)
Drive region: 1

Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 1
Volume name: FELLOWSHIP
Video standard: NTSC
Layer 0 size: 261889793 sectors (511503 MBytes)
Layer 1 size: 261889793 sectors (511503 MBytes)
---

The correct layer size (from ImgBurn) is:
---
Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 2,071,568 (54.18%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,752,148 (45.82%)
---

Here's the DVDFab layer info for another disc, which shows the negative layer size issue:
---
Info for drive [H:\] (DVDFab 7.0.1.2)
Drive region: 1

Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 1
Volume name: 1000092476
Video standard: NTSC
Layer 0 size: -276488703 sectors (7848591 MBytes)
Layer 1 size: -276488703 sectors (7848591 MBytes)
---

In such a case, the .ini file looks like this:
---
[ISO]
Files=1000092476.iso
LayerBreak=-276488703

Some dual layer discs I’ve tried are even being detected as single layer discs with no layer break!

While I can find out the actual layer breaks using ImgBurn and then manually correct every .ini file myself, this takes a lot of extra and unnecessary time to do for every disc I’m ripping (I purchased DVDFab Lifetime specifically for its convenient Clone feature).

Since I know this feature was working before, it’s clear that a software bug has recently been introduced into DVDFab (due to Windows 7 perhaps?).

Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Are the software developers aware of this issue and planning to address it in a software update?

Thanks in advance!

Dual Layer is not Double Layer and Dual Layer disc in fact have no layer break point…

[QUOTE=seanbob;2500530]I’ve been using DVDFab for years and only recently have I experienced this problem (perhaps as the result of a Windows 7 upgrade). Some dual layer discs I’ve tried are even being detected as single layer discs with no layer break!

While I can find out the actual layer breaks using ImgBurn and then manually correct every .ini file myself, this takes a lot of extra and unnecessary time to do for every disc I’m ripping (I purchased DVDFab Lifetime specifically for its convenient Clone feature).

Since I know this feature was working before, it’s clear that a software bug has recently been introduced into DVDFab (due to Windows 7 perhaps?).

Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Are the software developers aware of this issue and planning to address it in a software update?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
I am in the same boat…my DVDfab (the latest) is doing the same thing for no reason. I have changed the DVD drive and it didn’t fix it. Every disk i put in DVDFAB says it it cant write because it is a single layer disk. Any ideas? No pseudo-technical one-line responses please!

[QUOTE=dippityfisch;2531338]I am in the same boat…my DVDfab (the latest) is doing the same thing for no reason. I have changed the DVD drive and it didn’t fix it. Every disk i put in DVDFAB says it it cant write because it is a single layer disk. Any ideas? No pseudo-technical one-line responses please![/QUOTE]

Hi dippityfisch

when you are doing the rip is DVDFab set for DVD5(single layer) or DVD9(double layer) ?, it sounds like you have it set for DVD9 and trying to burn to a single layer disc, at the very bottom of the main screen of DVDFab please make sure that DVD5 is selected in the drop down window next to the word “Quality”…

If DVD9 is selected you can go into common settings and change the default output size, so DVD5 will always be selected when you start DVDFab :wink: