Lawmaker: Is CD copy-protection illegal?

This is from the front page.

It is questionable about the protection on cd’s. Maybe preotections will get banned because of the fair use principal.
Who knows.

anybody got an opinion on this?

For me it doesn’t really matter because most of the protections CloneCD can copy.
But theres still The impossible protections to copy like Tages.

It is the record industry who have pushed the copyright fee on blank media (ever since blank cassettes were sold). At that time they condoned one backup copy for personal use as long as the received a small fee on every blank media sold.

When the record industry makes it impossible to back things up then they should not get a fee on every blank media sold anymore.

But I can understand the position taken by the record industry. If backing up audio CDs stayed limited to one copy for personal use (be it in a discman or car stereo) then there wouldn’t be such a big problem, but it is those people who copy CDs for personal profit and selling these copies to friends, family or even complete strangers through advertising.

In all fairness there should be found a way that you can indeed only make one copy of each audio CD, which can only be used by the person who owns the original. Since I cannot see this happening at all (this would require some kind of chip to be built in in the copying device and a similar chip in all playing devices used by the owner of the original, but then at the same time it would not be possible to play that CD at a friend’s house for example for a demonstration).

This is quite complex issue from a legal as well as a practical view and I wonder what the record industry would choose if they were given the choice between dropping copy protections or giving up the fee on blank media…

oaky_88,
what is this copy protection you speak of? could you please give more info, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

What exactly is wrong with sharing songs with friends? People lend CDs do they not?

Originally posted by katz
oaky_88,
what is this copy protection you speak of? could you please give more info, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Well I dont know much about it. All I know is that it cant be copied.
I’m searching the web to find out more about the protection.
This protection is found on the game MotoRacer 3.

The problem with cd protections is that there will always be ways around it. They want to discourage casual copying, and they can do so. Casual copying is what most people who actually want to make only 1 backup copy for their own personal use do.

The industry makes it nearly impossible for the average joe to backup their cd’s, but anyone diligent enough can find a way around it. Casual copiers do NOT sell copies of the Sims for 5 $ on streetcorners, and copy protections sure as hell aren’t going to stop them.

Anyways, I applaud this lawmaker, as I recently dropped 130 $ on a burner capable of raw-dao 96 so that these ‘copy protections’ would not affect me. I gotta make that $$ back, maybe i’ll sell a few ‘copy protected’ cd’s :wink:

Well don’t know, but think all are for marketing reasons. Market must continue to exist and grow up. If there isn’t any protection then no need for programs like CloneCD to exist. If no protection to audio CD’s then no need for audio CD disks who cost more than the other CD-R disks ( cause you pay rights) and standalone CD-BURNERS to exist. If you get my point. If no virus then no need of anti-virus.
Who can tell me that all these exists cause music industry, or software industry want to protect their rights, and not happened under presure of hardware industries for make and sell new hardware?
Besides with any protection in an Audio CD at least, we can copy audio to a cassete (magnetic tape) and then with a good editing audio program, burn it back to a cd again with no loose of quality.

That’s why I wonder if all that protections, are have a good reason to exist?

Originally posted by biggeo
Besides with any protection in an Audio CD at least, we can copy audio to a cassete (magnetic tape) and then with a good editing audio program, burn it back to a cd again with no loose of quality.

First, I’m assuming you meant loss of quality. Im curious as to how there would be no loss of quality. Converting from digital to analogue to digital? Very few things are 100 % efficient in their conversions, and this CERTAINLY isn’t one of them. Maybe no loss of quality would occur if harry potter was involved, but thats about it.

Converting from digital to analogue to digital?

Well that’s the way you burn audio CD’s. When you first write songs to WAV files on your hard disk? Have you notice any loss of quality?

Maybe no loss of quality would occur if harry potter was involved, but thats about it.

What harry potter have to do with burning music? All you have to do is to spend some money for a good audio editing program, a good soundcard, and a lot of patient.

Then I can assure you that if any loss of quality you can see it onluy in an audio oscillograph.

And if you use the pencil tool, to redraw evry spot of the music to reach the dot pitch shown on oscillograpf then hardly to notice any loss. If you know what I mean. cause now if you didn’t know you can edit music by using a pencil. :cool:

raw-dao 96

IMHO raw-dao 96 not working with all copy protection

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hey, i know this is a couple of years old but i wanted to add to this conversation.

1. Conversion to and from Wav files should never be compared to conversion between analogue and digital.

Wav files are just a way in which the information is stored.

when you record to magnetic tape you convert a digital signal to analogue, magnetic tape has a much lower signal to noise ratio than cd. when you play back the lower quality tape and re burn to cd you convert back to digital but by no means do you regain the lost quality.

1. copying to magnetic tape is also actually preventable. The process you described is known as the analogue hole. making a digital copy via the analogue domain.

:slight_smile:

First off, I’d like to say that no…copy protection is not in my opinion legal. I do believe in intellectual property rights, and in the right to persue and prosecute those that violate that right. I equally believe in fair use and ownership rights of the indevidual who paid money for a disc.

Copy protection, in my opinion, is illeagle because it is a step beyond protecting intellectual property.

1. it assumes you are a buyer who will attempt to illeagly copy the disk for purposes of distribution.

2. it hinders your right under the “fair use” clause.

3. actually in some cases, makes the disc unplayable in legally owned hardware without modification.

rest of the legal dispute aside, this is my opinion. as such, I’ll keep playing the chess game just like the rest of you…:slight_smile:

Originally posted by cloakdoa
Maybe preotections will get banned because of the fair use principal.

Fair use policy is a privilege , not a right.

True enough Mr. Belvedere, but so is driving. If auto companies patently made it so that in order to drive legally, you had to break the law…how long would that stand…:slight_smile:

Oh wait…they already do…lolol

Originally posted by cloakdoa
[B]This is from the front page.

It is questionable about the protection on cd’s. Maybe preotections will get banned because of the fair use principal.
Who knows.

anybody got an opinion on this? [/B]

All I know is that the judge in the US has decreed that breaking DECSS is ilegal, hence DVDxcopy cannot be shipped with DECSS in it, as the digital copy gives them unprecedented use and abuse of the content.

The judge did however say that they users could do what they want with analogue copies of the content. Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t all DVD’s come with macrovision analogue protection? :expressionless:

As to my personal opinion, I think that people should be able to make as many copies as they require.

However, to use the copy their should be some form of restriction to ensure that companies are getting paid for what they invest.

Activation is the only real way of ensuring that only the original purchaser is using the content. But how to implement…
And of course that requires interconnectivity of practically everything, and of course complete invasion of privacy.

The backlash over activation with MS, and all the big companies seem to be following suit serves as an example of what happens when the industry tries to dictate how they want the world to be. Of course, the younger generations are getting used to getting less and less anyway as restrictions occur because of abuse by the older generation.