Latitude D830 sudden shutdown?

vbimport

I noticed lately there is a suit again Nvidia for making faulty GPU mobile chips and that people have problem ranging from overheating to failing video chipset. Mine is starting to do that problem and I checked and it matches the listed chipset problem but I know before it worked fine and was wondering do I need to redo the thermal paste to fix the cooling problem or is the the chipset and I won’t be able to do anything til after that suit is done and gone through and have Dell replace the motherboard with a working board? It’s past it’s warranty by 3 months now…My board has the NVS chipset…

If your laptop really suffers from the “nvidia disease”, then reapplication of thermal paste is unlikely to solve the problem.
But as far as I know, symptoms of faulty GPUs are garbled graphics initially. Are you able to monitor the temperatures of your system before it crashes?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2563935]If your laptop really suffers from the “nvidia disease”, then reapplication of thermal paste is unlikely to solve the problem.
But as far as I know, symptoms of faulty GPUs are garbled graphics initially. Are you able to monitor the temperatures of your system before it crashes?

Michael[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I done that yet but I do know when it does the dreaded shutdown I hear a click and dead it goes. Just like other I read on the net have experienced with the nvidia disease… That is a drag…I did place my name on the list of litigantes against nvidia for doing this. Before this started to happen it was going great and all. Luckly I have couple other laptop to use in the mean time…but the D830 was my power house now I have to use my E1505 until nvidia fixes my laptop after the court hearing.

Reporting back: I took apart the laptop and reapplied the heat sink compound to both the CPU and GPU as well as the controller chip. And so far all my imaging and rebooting the computer hasn’t done any kinda of sudden shutdown. So my current conclusion is the the heat sink compound must’ve been so dried that it was conducting the heat properly causing the sudden shutdown of the latitude. I kept it running and running doing imaging and so far hasn’t died on my yet. I keep it running for so more hours just to see and start installing my software back onto the laptop again and see what happens if it will die or keep running again. So it would seem that if a laptop is getting older since it was bought it would be a good time to clean the heat sink fan and vents as well as reapply the heat sink compound back to make sure the cooling pipes do their work.

Wells I guess the sudden shutdown was cured with simple thermal paste but not my screen goes back where this is nothing that shows on the display but the power light are still working. So my last thing to do know is to order a inverter to replace and see if I get my screen back. I know the heat sink compound was pretty crusty and old so that probably was part of the reason it was shutting down. But this part with the display going dark I do know it can’t be the back light as I don’t see anything on the screen itself. So my only other problem it could be is a bad inverter that when cold work but when it heats up it must be failing to deliver power to the screen to keep it on so it just stop working. So guess it is time for a inverter replacement.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2573828]Wells I guess the sudden shutdown was cured with simple thermal paste but not my screen goes back where this is nothing that shows on the display but the power light are still working. So my last thing to do know is to order a inverter to replace and see if I get my screen back. I know the heat sink compound was pretty crusty and old so that probably was part of the reason it was shutting down. But this part with the display going dark I do know it can’t be the back light as I don’t see anything on the screen itself. So my only other problem it could be is a bad inverter that when cold work but when it heats up it must be failing to deliver power to the screen to keep it on so it just stop working. So guess it is time for a inverter replacement.[/QUOTE]

Hi there

I have a D830 with NVS140 discrete video and the same issues you reported: works fine, screen goes corrupted, system shuts down, GPU very HOT.
Did replacing the inverter board work? Did you replace the cables, too? The screen tests I did as per DEll’s advice show my actual LCD panel is fine. Hope you have some positive news!

Best regards

Hil

Find a fan utility to run the cpu/gpu fan at 100% all the time. I have a D620 with the infamous nvidia gpu the was repaired twice (resoldered gpu to motherboard). After the second repair I was told to run the fan utility and all has been well for the past two years. It is somewhat loud but at least it won’t break.

[QUOTE=UTR;2673980]Find a fan utility to run the cpu/gpu fan at 100% all the time. I have a D620 with the infamous nvidia gpu the was repaired twice (resoldered gpu to motherboard). After the second repair I was told to run the fan utility and all has been well for the past two years. It is somewhat loud but at least it won’t break.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, UTR.

Does/did your D620 have integrated graphics (soldered onto mobo) or discrete like my NVS140?

What fan utility are you using and where did you get it?

From what coolcolors was saying it sounds like reseating the gpu with thermal paste made it run cooler, but did not fix the screen going blank problem.

I’m hoping coolcolors is still around so I can get his response on what replacing the inverter and possibly cables did for the issue?

I also heard that there is more than one inverter for the D830, so I’m wondering how do you determine which one to get?

I have my D830 set up with a docking station, monitor stand and attached scanner, printer and sound - duplicated at two locations so I’m keen to get it working again for when I’m busy (soon!).

In the meantime I’m running a E6520: nice machine but have invested a lot of effort in my D830 setup so want to run with D830 still.

Help please.

Thanks

Hil

Mine has integrated graphics on the motherboard but even dedicated cards can have the same issues. The gpu loses its soldered connection to the socket after it heat cycles several times. I use a utility called I8KfanGUI and it is freeware and does the job. There is also a 64-bit version. Running the fan at 100% constantly keeps the GPU cool and doesn’t let it have wild temperature swings. The temperature swings cause the solder between the GPU and socket to crack over time.

I bought my D620 for cheap off of Craigs List with the video having issues. I think it has the NVS110 GPU. I sent it to a shop in MA that advertised on ebay to resolder the NVIDIA GPU for $90. They told me to run the fan utility and I haven’t had another issue. I doubt there is anything else wrong with your D830. Replacing the thermal paste is just a stop gap measure that won’t stop the GPU from eventually separating from the socket.

[QUOTE=UTR;2674105]Mine has integrated graphics on the motherboard but even dedicated cards can have the same issues. The gpu loses its soldered connection to the socket after it heat cycles several times. I use a utility called I8KfanGUI and it is freeware and does the job. There is also a 64-bit version. Running the fan at 100% constantly keeps the GPU cool and doesn’t let it have wild temperature swings. The temperature swings cause the solder between the GPU and socket to crack over time.

I bought my D620 for cheap off of Craigs List with the video having issues. I think it has the NVS110 GPU. I sent it to a shop in MA that advertised on ebay to resolder the NVIDIA GPU for $90. They told me to run the fan utility and I haven’t had another issue. I doubt there is anything else wrong with your D830. Replacing the thermal paste is just a stop gap measure that won’t stop the GPU from eventually separating from the socket.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the detailed answer and pointers, UTR.

The fan site says the D820 is supported but not D830 - I think there is minimal difference between the two machines, from memory, so all good.

I’ll have a look around for someone to do that solder work. I’m real comfortable under the hood of desktops, but notebooks…replaced some RAM once and that was like rebuilding a desktop. lol

Given my dependence on the D830, I think I’d probably still do the inverter and cable - only about $60. But your ideas are to be implemented. Thanks. Hil

[QUOTE=Dimscambler;2673970]Hi there

I have a D830 with NVS140 discrete video and the same issues you reported: works fine, screen goes corrupted, system shuts down, GPU very HOT.
Did replacing the inverter board work? Did you replace the cables, too? The screen tests I did as per DEll’s advice show my actual LCD panel is fine. Hope you have some positive news!

Best regards

Hil[/QUOTE]

No it was the case of bad GPU failure and no amount of paste or cable will fix it. And I did contact dell about the GPU failure but they rejected that claim and so it sits collecting dust as I moved on and gotten a different laptop a Dell 1525 that works and does what I want it to do. I did also change inverter and nope it still die and reading online alot of people had Nvidia GPU failure as well. And being a old laptop I just tossed it aside. And I did the external monitor test as well and all evidence points a dead/failing GPU. It would seem that those with the problematic GPU Nvidia/AMD where prone to future trash heaps and the corporations refused to fix the problem so those laptops are still floating out there. But those of the very same make and model but with Intel video worked and ran fine.

The opertunity to enroll as a member of the “class” for this issue closed several years ago.

I remember clearly telling one of my neighbors that his 1420 was
in the correct serial number range to qualify but he was uninterested.

When Isee “Sudden shutdown” and “Dell Laptop” in the same discussion my immediate thought is to physically remove the coling fan and CPU cooler and clean the “dust bunnies” out of them and reapply thermal paste.

Thermal paste doesn’t “Dry out” as the active ingredient in it is often powdered metallic silver.

Dut disassembling and reassembling does disturbe the “Contact” and requires a reapplication.

The same way disassembling an engine requires replacing gaskets

What I found with the D620 was the GPU temperature would randomly skyrocket when I wasn’t doing anything that put a demand on it to cause the behavior. It would get hot and the fan wouldn’t kick on high to cool it down. Also, the CPU and GPU was cooled by the same heat sink and fan. It seemed like the fan speed was more controlled by CPU temperature than GPU temperature. With the fan running 100% all the time the GPU temperature rarely exceeds 120 degrees F. Before that the GPU would get into the 150 degree range and then cool off rapidly for no apparent reason. I think the problem with the NVIDIA laptops was possibly as much of a fan/heatsink control/capacity problem as it was a chip problem because GPU temperature has been very stable on my laptop since the fan has been forced to 100%.

In my case I said the ))(*)&& the D830 and moved on. Saved the CPU and memory and hard drive and LCD and bought a better laptop Dell 1525 and happy with it. Spend some money on D830 but crying over spilled milk is a waste of time for me at this point in time. That laptop is destined for the scrap heap.

I have a 1525 and still like it.

I’ve upgraded the CPU to a T8400 and run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on it.

Funny thing was With 32bit Win7 I could never get all of the functions of the Bluetooth Module to work, but with the 64bit SP1 version of Windows7 the Driver for the Bluetooth module installed automatically and led me through the setup steps for BT before “First use desktop”