Latest News from Blu-ray: Don't buy anything until Q4

vbimport

I just posted the article Latest News from Blu-ray: Don’t buy anything until Q4..

I know you just ran out to get your Blu-ray player; well I hope you kept the receipt. Apparently, the “High Def Winner” isn’t quite done yet. The Blu-ray hardware…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13151-Latest-News-from-Blu-ray-Dont-buy-anything-until-Q4_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13151-Latest-News-from-Blu-ray-Dont-buy-anything-until-Q4_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hmmmm, to buy or not to buy that is the question…we’ve got specs that are incomplete, TVs that aren’t really high def because they only go to 1386 x 768 res. we’ve got inflated prices (as we always do with new stuff). And the question is which format will turn out to be the ‘Sinclair C5’, HD-DVD, Bluray or both…personally, I’ll stick with DVD, for which I have to say I was an early adopter, but these two formats, boy what a mess…

Yeah, the HDMI “standard” is another sore spot with me. Why can’t they just hold their wads for awhile instead of releasing different specs every time an angel gets his wings? And what’s with all the different “hi-def” resolutions? For me there’s only one, and that’s 1920x1080p. Period. As usual, greets go out to DVD and HD DVD fans. Unsightly blisters and a lingering, painful death to $ony (and Paris Hilton). :slight_smile:

We can only hope this comes back to bite Sony. If for no other reason then them declaring the format war as being over. (Not to mention rootkits, their claims that PS3 were hard to find, etc)

“I’ve never witnessed the features first hand, but isn’t the interactive features of HD-DVD supposed to be way ahead of the current Blu-Ray implementation?” It certainly is. The difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray is, that HD-DVD was released after the specs were finished. :wink:

More reasons all the time not to be an early adopter. The industry is making sure early adopters now have to buy multiple times to have the newest tech. HDMI for example from wikipedia * 4.1 HDMI 1.0 * 4.2 HDMI 1.1 * 4.3 HDMI 1.2 * 4.4 HDMI 1.2a * 4.5 HDMI 1.3 * 4.6 HDMI 1.3a Maybe a standard should be chosen and stuck with for awhile. Now BluRay wants to pull the same cra*. :r

We can only hope this comes back to bite Sony. If for no other reason then them declaring the format war as being over. (Not to mention rootkits, their claims that PS3 were hard to find, etc)

Meh, I’m not concerned. I’ll still pick up my PS3 when the price drops (probably this Summer or near Christmas according to some rumours). I’ll get the fully spec’d Blu-Ray player sometime next year then. I’m not overly concerned about missing out on PiP extras for 6-12 months really.

really…what is the point of all this hi-def stuff anyway? Is there one? It is all marketing for the masses. :S

BLOW RAY go HD DVD

Yeah, the HDMI “standard” is another sore spot with me. Why can’t they just hold their wads for awhile instead of releasing different specs every time an angel gets his wings? And what’s with all the different “hi-def” resolutions? For me there’s only one, and that’s 1920x1080p. Period. As usual, greets go out to DVD and HD DVD fans. Unsightly blisters and a lingering, painful death to $ony (and Paris Hilton). :slight_smile:

There’s a phrase that describes what’s going on here and it starts with ‘cluster’. BTW, how long did it take Sony to finally release the PS3? And it’s not even ‘future-proof’ to the tune of 6 months? I feel sorry for anyone who went out and got one of those early. And I wouldn’t hold my breath on waiting for the price to drop. Take a look at the 360 - out for more than a year and still no drop (more than 20 million sold I believe). Add to that the cost to make the PS3 is FAR MORE (Sony’s cost is something like $800 to make the base one). How is Bluray superior to HDDVD? :r As far as I’m concerned, you can make changes to the players (make them load faster and what-not) but making changes to the format this late in the game is just obsurd. It shows a lack of thinking on their part.

I’m not overly clear as to why people are making a big deal out of the picture in a picture extras… do people really care that much about it? or is it maybe that they just really like to hate sony? sonyhaters.com to the rescue! :r

@ Dolphinius_Rex Oh COME ON Dolphinius. Tell me you’re kidding, please. When Blu-ray and HD DVD came out of the gate, pretty much everyone assumed that both players had their s**t together after spending BILLIONS of dollars on R&D and production of the hardware and discs. Now ONE of the players wants to go back and tie up some loose ends?!? Puh-leeze. After all the drum-beating lately, I was ready to concede defeat to Blu-ray. Not after this, though. Now I’m going to go buy the XBOX 360’s HD DVD drive and hook it up to my Win XP 'puter. Can’t wait to see HD DVD 1080p in all it’s glory. Meanwhile, back at Blow-ray headquarters, the tech guys are still standing around with their thumbs up their butts wondering if they’ll have jobs next week. Oh, and yes, I really like to hate $ony. :slight_smile:

DukeNukem: Wait… you were going to concede to Blu-Ray, and you didn’t KNOW about the whole BD-J thing already?? I mean, this issue has been known about pretty much since day one if you were paying attention to the format war on any serious level. For the average consumer to not know about it I could understand, but I took you for being the kind of person who would look at all the info, even if you didn’t agree/like it. In any case, if you’re going to buy the HD DVD-ROM drive, I recommend looking at Walmart, since some stores are blowing them out around $130 USD. Don’t say I’ve never done anything nice for you :wink:

@ Dolphinius_Rex Sorry, I didn’t know. I’ve been too busy sleeping with lingerie models. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, back to our discussion. I’ve seen only a couple of players so my hands-on experience has been limited and I have better things to do with my time than read about all the differences between the two formats (other than the resolution, price and codecs). Unlike when DVD came out, I wanted to wait a bit to see if there would be an early winner to the format war. I’m guessing you’ve been alone in your room, cut off from human contact, reading all there is to know about the competing formats. I salute you, sir. Thanks for the tip about Wal-mart. :slight_smile:

@ Dukenukem: I’ll admit I spend way too much time on my computer, but It’s rather balanced between various projects. Yes, keeping up on the format war IS one of my projects, but that’s because it’s fun to argue the points, and because a lot of people ask me questions about things, and I like to be able to make informed answers. In the long run though, since I’m so closely tied to both the blank media and the media content replication industries, I find this is both really fun, and really interesting to follow. Although at this point I think the final decisions and actions that will end this war have been made, when and how they show up on the market, and how each camp executes their “secret plans” is very fun for me. It’s like watching a strategy-suspense novel take place with real-life effects. Although the ending seems to be a bit predictable to me so far, if I’m wrong I still won’t regret it I don’t think.

just because the player specs have tightened up doesn’t mean the current players can’t do it. Also, of COURSE they’ll upgrade the software to support this if need be on PS3. And if the hardware isn’t up to par they wouldn’t be releasing it this summer if it can’t play movies for this fall.

Kind of like a high-powered game of chess, eh?