Latest firmware HSG8 - Post your experience here

vbimport

When you want to give firmware HSG8 for LDW-811s a try, post your experiences here. If you need the binary, I can send it to you.

My experiences are not bad so far:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?postid=539418#post539418

The differences between HS0P and HSG8 are only 2 bytes at offset 093E28 and 093E41 - and of course the drives ID-string, firmware version number and date.

Can you send it to Moders to look at it??

So, that ways they could find out what improvements are added to that firmware.

Maybe you could just email to OC-Freak or dhc014, or Zebra.

OC-Freak, and dhc014, would you mind takeing a peek??

Thanks!

One thing is weird to me is that LiteOn change to the version name of firmware from HS0P to HSG8.

they usualy change the last char. of 811s firmware.
HS0x(HS0E,HS0K, and HS0P)

Maybe a SPECIAL firmware!!! I do’t know…

This is an OEM firmware. it’s not special in any way. I haven’t compared it to HS0P myself yet, but if it only differs in two bytes from HS0P as clmx says, then there is very unlikely to be a significant difference from HS0P.

Maybe these two bytes have improved the writing strategy for CD-RW.

Also, the strange noise from the drive has disappeared when I boot my computer.

Maybe only these two bytes are changed. But undoubtedly, HSG8 gives me much better results. Unfortunately, I currently have no DVD-Rs to test. But on my Philips 4x DVD+RW, the difference is obvious:

When I burn it with HS0P, I get average PI of about 200. When I burn the same DVD+RW with HSG8, the PI level decreased to about 60. It’s always the same procedure: Completely erase the DVD+RW in Nero and burn the same image @4x. The scan is done on my other LDW-411S @ 811S (firmware HS0K). I have ordered some Ritek G04s and let you know my results.

Would be fine if in the meantime others could post their results.

Originally posted by clmx
The differences between HS0P and HSG8 are only 2 bytes at offset 093E28 and 093E41 - and of course the drives ID-string, firmware version number and date.

Here is the disassembled code at these addresses for both firmwares:

mov	r5,#47h		; 3e27   7d 47      }G
  mov	r5,#30h		; 3e27   7d 30      }0

mov	r5,#38h		; 3e40   7d 38      }8
  mov	r5,#50h		; 3e40   7d 50      }P

Obviously it is also just the firmware version, so HS0P and HSG8 should behave identicaly.

Thanks ala42, I didn’t notice that. Now we know that these two firmware versions are functionally identical.

Hi
I read this thread with big interest, since I have problems with my 811s burning with high error rates. First I reverted my drive from HS0P to HS0K - no changes, still bad performance.
Then I reverted it back one more firmware to be able to upgrade with an original, “unflashfixed” HS0K: slightly better values, but not to an extent to exclude any influence by the media itself (DVD +R 4x Verbatim datalife plus - MCC)
Upgrade to HS0P - still no good values.
Then the "cross"grade to HSG8 - unbelievable, but true: values are much better! Especially at the end of the disc, where the other firmwares used to raise to PI-values like 300/400 starting at the last 20% of the disc, now for 3 test-discs the values do not exceed 50 (one with a small peak to below 100), and that only for the last maybe 5% of the disc.

Can anyone explain this? I can’t, since you guys stated believably, that the firmwares are the same except some entries like model-number…

Originally posted by dvdr
[B]Hi
I read this thread with big interest, since I have problems with my 811s burning with high error rates. First I reverted my drive from HS0P to HS0K - no changes, still bad performance.
Then I reverted it back one more firmware to be able to upgrade with an original, “unflashfixed” HS0K: slightly better values, but not to an extent to exclude any influence by the media itself (DVD +R 4x Verbatim datalife plus - MCC)
Upgrade to HS0P - still no good values.
Then the "cross"grade to HSG8 - unbelievable, but true: values are much better! Especially at the end of the disc, where the other firmwares used to raise to PI-values like 300/400 starting at the last 20% of the disc, now for 3 test-discs the values do not exceed 50 (one with a small peak to below 100), and that only for the last maybe 5% of the disc.

Can anyone explain this? I can’t, since you guys stated believably, that the firmwares are the same except some entries like model-number… [/B]

Looks like simple save statements.
Dumps variables from registers to ram/cache (well, not quite the same)

Maybe some bright spark at liteon made a mistake, and one of the bright OEM guys picked it up?

Can someone PM me about the file. I’d like to test it.

Update

It seems to work.

My PIPO errors on the burnt discs seem a HELL OF A LOT lower.
About 1/10 for both PI & PO errrors.

I’m gonna go thru and scan previous burns (Liteon original firmwares) to see if maybe just the reading function has been improved in the OEM firmware.

****** Update 2 ******

Litey LDW811 @ HSG8 burns DVD-R well under spec!
Litey LDW811 @ HS0E/HS0K/HS0P sucks shicncters.

Um, why can’t I post .png files? :frowning:

@debro,

sir maybe you could post instructions on how you flashed HSG8 into your 811S.

thanks. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by rds04
[B]@debro,

sir maybe you could post instructions on how you flashed HSG8 into your 811S.

thanks. :slight_smile: [/B]

Use FlashFix on the HSG8.exe copy of the firmware found here. Then simply run HSG8.exe to load the firmware.

If you happen to have a .bin copy of the firmware (HSG8.bin) then just use LtnFW to load it.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Use FlashFix on the HSG8.exe copy of the firmware found here. Then simply run HSG8.exe to load the firmware.

If you happen to have a .bin copy of the firmware (HSG8.bin) then just use LtnFW to load it. [/B]

That’s exactly it.

I hesitate to recommend that anyone flashes their LDW811 to an OEM burner.

But if i was someone else with a 411/811, and I had access to scans which i’m getting now, I wouldn’t hesitate.

***** Update *****

After scanning a bunch of DVD+/-R burnt with other firmwares, it does appear to burn better, AND scan previously burnt DVD+/-R better. Spikes present in previous burnt media are still present, but tend to be more severe for high values, and less severe for lower values. (weird eh?)

Originally posted by debro
I hesitate to recommend that anyone flashes their LDW811 to an OEM burner.

But You can always go back using FlashFixed LDW-811S firmware or loading a .BIN using LtnFW…
(hope I am right…I haven’t tried OEM fw. yet and I would never do that if there wasn’t way back!)

Yes you can go back afterwards :iagree:

Glad to hear (see:-)) that!

I expected “YES” would be the answer… I’ve loaded EEPROMs and FWs. for my 811S to 40125W due to my impatience several times and there were never a single problem going back.
Of course, I had backups of EEPROMs from both drives, otherwise I would have been f***ed up…:sad:

well i’ve just made the jump. had to run fhldw811 first before using flashfix because i’m using a v5-v6 beta on my 401@811.

after flashing the firmware my drive is now shown as a dvdrw drw-1s81 instead of an 811s. just made a successful burn of a 2x fornex dvd-r though the pi avg was in the high 200s.

Originally posted by DavesMan
But You can always go back using FlashFixed LDW-811S firmware or loading a .BIN using LtnFW…
(hope I am right…I haven’t tried OEM fw. yet and I would never do that if there wasn’t way back!)

I flashed back to HS0K for testing purposes.
No obvious problems.

I saw better readings with Kprobe, what I am curious though is what are the ranges of good vs. bad with the results?

I can’t seem to upload a copy of my reslts so here goes

PI MAX 548 Avg 333.387
PO MAX 14 AVg 1.501

Done at 4x with Imation/ Ricoh media

Sum EEC 8

BTW my drive is an external Buslink setup on a firwire port.

ALso the driver speed are much better, it is now exctracting at nearly 12,000 kbs from the 6000 kbs with HSOP firmware.

Other changes are Nero 6.3.1.6 doesn’t list all write speeds any longer in says it has a MAX of 2.4. I don’t believe this though because using DVD shrink yesterday it burned at 8x with my Imation 4x +R. One other weird thing is I tried to slow down the extraction process with DVD Decryter it would not accept my changes and extracted at max speed.

Originally posted by jrouss
I saw better readings with Kprobe, what I am curious though is what are the ranges of good vs. bad with the results?

Read the fourth bullet here.